997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

What is the average size lip of your aftermarket wheels for 997s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 09:02 PM
Basic Sponsor
Wheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond repute
997 narrow wheels (normal ones - w/o the super bowed or curved forging) typically are 3" back, wide cars are typically 4"

http://www.wheelexperts.com
email: peter@wheelexperts.com

HRE | Forgeline | Modulare | PUR | TechArt | Brabus | Novitec | Vossen | Avant Garde | Vorsteiner | BBS | Eisenmann | Quicksilver | Brembo | KW | WALD | +many more

***DFW Showroom now OPEN at 4515 McEwen Rd in Dallas, 1 block West of the Dallas Galleria***

***WE SHIP WORLDWIDE!!!!!***
Old 08-28-2007, 09:09 PM
wizo is infamous around these parts
Peter do you have any examples of any wheels that are similar to the Rennworx style that has a larger lip(3 inch or 3.5) for the rear. I want something that is good quality and has good strength to it. I really like the C20 but that is a step lip--which from some pics of other members cars I am starting to like..Can you suggest a few for me..
I also dont like the Iforged wheels from everything I have read and from other friends that have had them.
Thanks

Last edited by wizo; 08-28-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:16 PM
Basic Sponsor
Wheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond repute
Sure thing...the 2 that come to mind are:

HRE 590R
Modulare M6

HRE | Forgeline | Modulare | PUR | TechArt | Brabus | Novitec | Vossen | Avant Garde | Vorsteiner | BBS | Eisenmann | Quicksilver | Brembo | KW | WALD | +many more

***DFW Showroom now OPEN at 4515 McEwen Rd in Dallas, 1 block West of the Dallas Galleria***

Old 08-28-2007, 09:33 PM
those are nice, thanks for the suggestion. I saw the Modular wheel today actually- I like the design but for some reason those HRE wheels have a classic appeal to them.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:45 PM
Basic Sponsor
yes, the HRE is more traditional with the straight spokes....I have the 590R on our BMW 335i demo..it's a very nice wheel

Old 08-29-2007, 07:45 AM
paragongja is infamous around these parts
Champion. 3"

Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2007, 10:56 AM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
I have the Avus 20s and they are somewhere between 3.5" and 4" on my narrow body. The measurement depends on exactly where in the outer radius I stop measuring, as they don't have defined shoulders.

Someone on here was saying, I think, that the only way to have a larger lip was offset. I kindly disagree. It is all about where the center piece is bolted to the outer rim. Some technologies and higher tensile strength (higher quality) alloys can handle the stress of that point being further back from the face of the wheel. They still have to "bow" them around the brakes, but can still mount the centers back, which gives a larger lip. I went with Avus because I don't like the bowed look either but love a lip... wanted to have my cake and eat it too (I really don't understand that saying, but you get my point). So, without having the continuous bow, the Avus AF-MO2s have a distinct chisle (sp?) where the forks come directly back to the mounting point. I like it.

See the picture here. You have to stare at it for a second to see it all because of the reflection on the lip. But look at the actual rivets. They are far back. Then, look at the spokes on the right side. You can see how they bend back rigidly instead of having a bow. I think it's the best look (my obvious opinion) for having a big lip.

Just my thoughts.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:03 AM
jreeves197 is infamous around these partsjreeves197 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by raffi
yeah nick has been around here for a while, he helped me buy wheels from another 6speeder when he worked at another shop on sunset.
He is a great guy. I think you will find that most of the vendors here are...
I wonder where the Iforged rep is. He can't be at work, since nobody answers the phone.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:16 PM
raffi is infamous around these parts
they usually post on here, have you tried to pm them.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:53 PM
raffi is infamous around these parts
RWDRIFTC2

this is vinces username

Old 08-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Hey, just wondering anyone interested in some Rennworx wheels with PS2 tires mounted and balanced ready to ship-(NEVER MOUNTED ON CAR)-for a great price send me a PM.
Wizo

Old 08-29-2007, 01:18 PM
rahul is infamous around these parts
here's a 590R with 3 inch lip i believe. Didn't want too much white! LOL

Old 09-03-2007, 04:43 PM
lsbe36 is infamous around these parts
The HRE's look like 4" lips too me! That car has the same fitment as Turbo/C4S

Old 09-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by lsbe36
That car has the same fitment as Turbo/C4S
actually, it does not....it still takes a 12" wheel but the offset is in the upper 60s vs mid 40s for a 997 widebody..should be a 3" lip on the GT3, and a 4" on the RS

Old 09-04-2007, 07:58 AM
lsbe36 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by lee2375
actually, it does not....it still takes a 12" wheel but the offset is in the upper 60s vs mid 40s for a 997 widebody..should be a 3" lip on the GT3, and a 4" on the RS
Ahh interesting!

Well for a 3" rear lip it looks alot bigger than it actually is, probably because of it being white...