997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

The Cayman S is pretty damn good!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 10:02 AM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
I have wanted a 911 since I was 12-13 years old. Now that I am in a position to get one there is a Cayman S in my garage. I drove the 911 several times and just never fell in love with the handling of the car. I still have a great deal of affination for the 911 and hope to get a GT3 at some point, but there is no argument that the Cayman is a better handling car than the 911 and that is what appealed most to me. It is the funnest car I have ever driven and puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it. I am sure I would be just as thrilled to own a 911 had I gone that route.

As for speed, I have been equally surprised/pleased with the speed of the car. I drive with a lot of high dollar high horsepower cars and while they certainly pull me its not nearly as bad as I would have thought. Once the car is at speed, it is pretty exceptional in its ability to stay with the pack. When the road starts to bend, the Cayman is unmatched.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:32 AM
LarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to all
2910 is whats on the reg.It's a c2 ,i guess all those extra options adds up.I can scan my reg.It's not a typo.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:38 AM
BoZ_S is infamous around these parts
base 911 is right at 3075 so its possible for 2900 but would need alittle work.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:18 AM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LarryP
2910 is whats on the reg.It's a c2 ,i guess all those extra options adds up.I can scan my reg.It's not a typo.
I was trying to be nice. Saying your car weighs 2910 because that's what it says on the reg is the same as believing your car weighs 3750 because that what it says on the door jamb.

Do you really believe that your car weighs 200 pounds less than a 997 GT3 RS - a car that has been put on a diet already from the factory?

You car would only weigh 2910 if it had no seats, and probably no wheels and tires as well.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:34 AM
MSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud of
I'd always dreamed of owning a 911, drove one a few times and had a blast but as soon as I test drove the Cayman S, I didn't look back. Went to the dealer with 2 friends. My sales guy grabbed the keys to 2 CaymanS and said keep up. After that I was suprised but I didn't want a 911 anymore unless it was a GT3/TT which are currently out of my budget. I've had my CaymanS for 18months and I'm still not looking back.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:34 AM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
When I was ready to buy a porsche, I hated the 911 at the time. The 996 had the same interior, headlights, and exterior features as the Boxster (986). You couldn't even tell if it was a Boxster or 911 tailing you! When I sat in it, it was a big let down as well. Side by side with my friends 996 vs my 986, the 986 looked longer due to its longer wheelbase and similar panels. I ended buying a Boxster S because I felt I was getting ripped off for buying the 996.

Then came the 997!!! Better interior, it looked like a 911 again, and not a Boxster anymore. The Boxster/Cayman got their own headlight design, and subtle changes in the interior (although they are still very much alike). The new exterior differences made the models distinguishable, so I figured its time to go 911!

I was considering the Cayman for a while. Why didn't I buy one? Because I always wanted a 911!

Porsche also makes it obvious where it stands with the model hierarchy. All technology is developed and brought to the 911 first, then eventually "shared" with the other models. If you look at the history of the 2 cars, the 911 got PSM, PASM, VarioCam first, then eventually (when 987 came out) made them optional/standard for the Cayman/Boxster. To top it off, Porsche won't even support racing the Cayman/Boxster!

Overall, I feel Porsche charges a premium for the 911 for the reasons above. This accomplishes what they intended to do: continue to charge more for an icon, while filling the market with a "cheaper" competitor (with almost enough street cred) from within.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:09 PM
LarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to all
The reg is all I have to work off of. If anyone else has a 06 c2 tell me what your reg weight is.
what is the reg weight on your c2s.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Cayman is a great car no doubt, but its asking price is just unreasonable. Its convertible version (Boxster) has the exact horsepower at a lower price. This is the ONLY example of a hard top version costing more than its convertible version in any car company. I will put my money in a Boxster over a Cayman anyday and invest on a removable hard top if I want the coupe feel.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:41 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
When I had my GT3 corner balanced it was 3150 lbs with a quarter of tank of gas. This is with PCCB's and Volk wheels.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:44 PM
4thPorsche is infamous around these parts
I have never looked at a Cayman and said to myself 'that's the car I should have got'. FWIW, I have had a Boxster and there is no comparison in terms of the respect that you command on the road (people tailgating, getting cut-off, racing you to get on the frwy, etc.) with the 911 versus the 987/986.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:04 PM
GSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Gundo
Not street racing, but testing acceleration runs.
So thats what their calling it now, huh?

Old 09-10-2007, 03:10 AM
queram is infamous around these parts
You don't wanna mess with an icon that sells 100000 since the introduction do you. That is why you make the Cayman silly looking, take away the LSD, limit its power and there you go. You have a cheaper coupe that will fill the marketing gap between Boxter and Carrera. If it was not for the sake of 997, Cayman would be a much much better car even better than our 997s.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:24 AM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
I'm not sure about the "Cayman as GOD theory" once LSD and a bigger engine is fitted. I know a few companies entered it in some of the races, and the 911 still came ahead. There are also numerous examples of tuned Cayman's, but I'm unaware of any of them "spanking" the 997 GT3.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:43 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
I would love to see a head to head with a Cayman S and a Carrera S with the same motor and an LSD for the Cayman.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Banned
hozer is infamous around these parts
I think its gonna be very tough to compete with the GT3, but pretty easy to compete and beat the base 911 and even the S. But I dont think Porsche is going to let that happen out of the box, you will need to mod the cayman some.

But dont forget, those are professional racer comparisons. Lets face it, few of us are that good. Average driver in the cayman probably comes out on top of average driver in base 911 because of the steeper learning curve in the 911. So in the real world...the cayman should hold its own and more.

Last edited by hozer; 09-10-2007 at 01:20 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Cayman S is pretty damn good!