997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Not too happy yet about exhaust install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 07:03 PM
wizo is infamous around these parts
Not too happy yet about exhaust install

Hey,

Well today I decided to install the exhaust by myself. Having no prior experience doing this or working on porsche I def. was all thumbs today. I took the car to a friends shop to use his lift and tools. Thought it might take an hour tops and we were considering maybe doing the springs ourself also.

Well big mistake. I did not realize what or how to drop the exhaust. At first I was trying to figure out how to slip the large screws up from the holder attatched to the car. Opps, that does not work. Had a mechanic come over and give me an idea to release the whole assembly which was holding the can and slip the screw off when it was on the ground..Yeah this was 3 hours later.
Then when I go to put the tips on they were so badly crossthreaded and messed up(had the Fabspeed tips only on for a few weeks on the stock exhaust) that I ended up having to drive to a muffler shop to have them cut the screw out and refab new ones with a new welded top nut..Amazing how some people can do it in an hour with no problems and have no issues and for me the whole dang world go wrong

Well anyways the exhaust*Fabspeed exhaust by the way) when its cold does not sound that different than stock. It has a more confident tone to it cold and when it warms up there def. is a difference. I am a little dissapointed thinking it would be more aggressive and loud. But a friend who heard me pull up said it sounded a lot better. Also a small drone is heard at 4200-4500 rpm when on the highway if you keep it in 5th gear or fourth depending on speed. If you upshift it goes away.
Just my first impressions with it. Keep in mind also that the exhaust I bought was slightly used-2k on it --so I am not sure if that changes anything.

Tom. I will drive it hard again and test it out. I drove it pretty hard on the highway for a little today and noticed when warm the exhaust is audibly louder and deeper. I feel that with sport cats and an intake I will get the exact sound I was looking for. But I def. will not try and install them myself!!

Old 09-16-2007, 08:17 PM
ARod is infamous around these parts
Wizo...
i just ot back from my buss trip. I'll be off from work the 20th and 21st give me a call. i have the fabspeed bypass and tips and no mufflers ...

if you are really looking for an agressive sound that's the way to go. i think!!! ar at least the most inexpensive way to do it.

Arod

Old 09-17-2007, 10:13 AM
Yeah i need to hear yours because I really am not too happy with the sound right now. When the exhaust is cold or cold start there is really no difference at all from stock to Fabspeed. When the exhaust is warm or hot the sound is completely different. There is more bass to it and the with small blips of the throttle you can hear a nice throaty sound. If you blip it too high that sound goes away. I have a small vibration sound also from the right side of the car. I am not sure if something is loose or if its just the vibration from the cans itself. Only on deceleartion do I hear that sound...
Only the highway when its hot, you notice the difference. I mean the sound from your motor already is coming behind you and you can noticably hear your exhaust over it. There is obviously a difference from stock but I think I might need the intake and race cats to achieve the sound I was hoping for.
I came from a V8 S4. I know its different but I had the non-resonated exhaust with downpipes. I need something that when you hit the pedal you notice it but you dont have serious drone from. That is only why I did not go the muffler bypass route. I am afraid that at cruising speeds you cant hear ****e besides the loud burble.

Arod, I got to hear you car!! Lets meet up this week or this weekend and maybe shoot over to Bithlo to see what these puppies run the 1/4 mile. Or best on Wednesday's theres is a small meet some people have been asking me to come too. We can roll out over there...

Old 09-17-2007, 10:51 AM
JCS
JCS is infamous around these parts
There is only one exhaust which gives you either VERY loud or stock muffler quiet at the flip of a switch.
No droning, no problems and it sounds like a Porsche, not some suped up Honda on steroids.

So when you get tired of screwing around with cheap aftermarket stuff , get the PSE.
It costs more, but so did your Porsche in the first place. Lol

Old 09-17-2007, 12:11 PM
ARod is infamous around these parts
Wizo…
I’ll be off Thursday and Friday this week. My days off vary every week. I can tell you that mine its loud and intimidating. When I leave the house… according to my neighbors, they know when I take the beast for a spin… I can tell you that the picture frame in my living room vibrates when I turn on this puppy.

It is loud and drones more than I want 2. But, just the fact that I love the way it sounds plus all the complements I get everywhere I go from everybody that I prefer to wear ear plugs.

Plus if we look at it from the positive side you have a good excuse for not hearing what the girlfriend is wining about.

I hope to hear from you. Do you still have my number? Give me a call
I would need more details about Wednesday night and in regards to the ¼ mile… nah!!! I pass. I’m just pimping around.

cya
Arod

Old 09-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Update--

Well the exhaust is actually not so bad. I have become acustomed to the sound which is really actually a nice tone. I heard the difference between the stock and fabspeed exhaust and there is definetly a better sound from the Fabspeed. The sound is more confident and deeper. When its warm I love it even more.

Yea its not as loud as Gundo's stock modification of his mufflers. Which by the way I really really like. But, I also like the look of my mufflers which you can see and also the clear and not so crazy loud Fabspeed. I will eventually get the sport cats which I know will make me happy when I get completely used the sound and then feel its too quiet. But now I am being Hypocritical.

Anyways, I feel for the price, obviously the stock mod to muffler is the best bang for buck and sound. I am unsure what that does to the resonance, drone or turbulence from the mufflers but I bet its just fine.
When I put on the sport cats i will do a sound clip for everyone also to hear.