997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

07 997S - 18 inch wheels for track use?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 08:29 AM
Lorne YVR is infamous around these parts
07 997S - 18 inch wheels for track use?

So ... I'm STILL waiting for my new CtS to show up ... it's sitting on a truck that left Toronto on Friday, Sept 14th, should be in Vancouver on Thursday / Friday this coming week (Sept 20 /21). It's making me nuts!

In anticipation I am doing all the necessary prep work -- sent my V1 off to get upgraded, sourcing 3M clear bra installers, etc.

I also have a line on R compound tires for track use -- a buddy has been running a 996 TT and has a set of Toyos with just one day on them and Michelins Pilot Sport Cups that are new. (He's picking up a Cup Car this weekend, so retiring the TT from track use.) These tires are in 18 inch sizes.

Question -- am I better putting 18 inch wheels on for track use? The 19s look nice, but seems to me an 18 inch wheel would be lighter weight, have more tire options and cheaper tires.

Second question - any recommendations on a source for 18 inch wheels? I would really like to have a set of black ones ... car is black on black, and I love the look of black wheels on it.

Thanks for any advice.

LCB, impatiently waiting!

Old 09-16-2007, 10:52 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
CCW (Complete Custom Wheels) Dayton Beach FL. I have a set of 18's I use on my 997S for the track with Toyo RA1's. These are complete 1 piece strong lightweight forged wheels and used on a lot of race cars. 18x9 and 18x12 will run you $2800.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:57 PM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Don't really know what to tell you other than some basic directions to look. First of all, 18s are lighter and the tires are cheaper, yes. They also will give you better feel. Check with our board sponsors to the right for some. If you are price sensitive, you can also check The Tire Rack. They have some lightweight black OZ wheels that are great for track use. And black on black is always good.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:43 PM
BoZ_S is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mdrums
CCW (Complete Custom Wheels) Dayton Beach FL. I have a set of 18's I use on my 997S for the track with Toyo RA1's. These are complete 1 piece strong lightweight forged wheels and used on a lot of race cars. 18x9 and 18x12 will run you $2800.
CCW is a great company with timely delivery, they make the 3 piece classic in a track package as well as the corsair in the track package give them a call. Ive bought 6 sets of wheels and tires from them.

386-258-0083

Old 09-17-2007, 05:42 PM
jonathan@millaracing is infamous around these parts
for 18" track wheels you can go some BBS wheels including their race wheel, FIKSE, champion and a few others

let me know if you have any questions

Old 09-18-2007, 04:30 AM
cl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to behold
I run 18's on my C2S at track events and moto-kana's. I've been through a set of Yokohama A048 (R type) and am now running Bridgestone RE055 Type R track rubber. The 18" diameter wheels definately have better feel and acceleration is better. Style is up to you.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:11 PM
elh0102 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Lorne YVR
Question -- am I better putting 18 inch wheels on for track use? The 19s look nice, but seems to me an 18 inch wheel would be lighter weight, have more tire options and cheaper tires.

Second question - any recommendations on a source for 18 inch wheels? I would really like to have a set of black ones ... car is black on black, and I love the look of black wheels on it.
The 18's offer the obvious advantages of better selection and are less expensive. Assuming you will maintain the same OD, then the higher profile of the 18 is also an advantage, both for protection and, they should offer a bit more feedback as they lose traction (but that's splitting hairs). Regarding weight, I have to chuckle a bit at some folks who have to buy certain wheels and tires to save a couple of pounds; you'd think they were F1 drivers. Yes, less unsprung weight is better, but unless you are racing at a very competitive level, don't worry about it.

The two I have considered are CCW, and Volk Racing; don't know about black.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:48 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
I looked at so many... BBS, Volk, Forgeline, CCW, etc. and ended up buying a set of Fikse in 18x8.5 and 18x11 and am happy with the decision. Not cheap, but excellent and the customer service is extraordinary (very long story -- Thanks again to Matt Fikse).

On a budget I might consider just getting the Volks from Tire Rack with the PSCs mounted and balanced. Usually in stock and at your door in a week.

18 vs. 19 -- no doubt 18" is more flexible, drives and handles better, etc. Plenty of posts on why Porsche went to 19" with some of the 997 product line (remember C2 and C4 have 18" standard).

Old 09-21-2007, 07:30 PM
sclemmons is infamous around these parts
+1 on Fikse. Quality, service, value are truly outstanding. And they can be repaired at the factory, which I have done more often than I care to recall. Just the best I have tried between BBS, Borbet, and Fiske. Not the cheapest, but the whole package is worth a serious look.

(Not to mention the cool factor and the ease of keeping them new looking with http://www.englishcustompolishing.co...aluminum1.html )

What is the appeal of 19's anyway? Wouldn't even 17's be better yet?

Old 09-25-2007, 09:22 AM
colonel is infamous around these parts
for guys using 18" track wheels on C2S. What are the width of the tires?

F 235
R 265?

Old 09-25-2007, 09:37 AM
Banned
HREMarc is infamous around these parts
Check the gt3 forum. Alex at sharkwerks is running our 19" C series wheels. These are ultra low weight made specifically for your application. We have them in 18" and can build them in all black. The listing is under ZKermit's new shoes.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:28 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Toyo RA1 in 245/305 sizes. Alternate tire is PSC in 235/295. Plenty of grip