997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

PSE is a WASTE of Money!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 07:03 PM
CJ911S is infamous around these parts
Ok, Sounds (no pun intended) like the "GUNDO HACK" is the easiest way to sportier sound without breaking the bank. Will try to bypass the third chamber also.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:07 PM
lakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to behold
Anyone know a good shop in Orange County, CA? Tried PMing a shop I found on the SoCal section - but no response.

Also, I thought I read that the "Gundo Hack" and the Bypassing of the 3rd Chamber shouldn't both be done (i.e., it's one or the other). Maybe I'm wrong here?

Old 12-20-2008, 07:49 AM
Gundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud of
That would be really cool - to bypass the third chamber and bridge the inlet to outlet. Not sure what it could possible sound like or cost. :-)

It simply amazes me how complex the PSE is:

Old 01-29-2009, 08:55 PM
John156e is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Gundo
That would be really cool - to bypass the third chamber and bridge the inlet to outlet. Not sure what it could possible sound like or cost. :-)

It simply amazes me how complex the PSE is:

do you have another pis / angle of this. i wanted to do the same thing. glad i found this thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:24 AM
extrememoto is infamous around these parts
Sorry, I know it's an old thread. Did the "Gundo Hack" with 2" pipes, it does sound nice but a bit loud, perhaps 1.5" will work better IMO.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:22 AM
lakercarrera is infamous around these parts
is there any were in la to do this? I want to do it but only somewere that has done it before

Old 11-11-2009, 05:29 PM
swajames is infamous around these partsswajames is infamous around these parts
I have the Gundo hack on my mufflers too. I bought the mufflers with the mod already done by Darin Fister ("fisterd" on Rennlist). Quality work all round and the hacked mufflers sound so much better than stock. A tremendous improvement for the money!

Last edited by swajames; 11-11-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:22 PM
drkside is a name known to alldrkside is a name known to alldrkside is a name known to alldrkside is a name known to alldrkside is a name known to alldrkside is a name known to all
Originally Posted by swajames
I have the Gundo hack on my mufflers too. I bought the mufflers with the mod already done by Darin Fister ("fisterd" on Rennlist). Quality work all round and the hacked mufflers sound so much better than stock. A tremendous improvement for the money!
How much did he charge you?

Old 12-08-2009, 06:38 PM
swajames is infamous around these partsswajames is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by drkside
How much did he charge you?
I got a set of stock mufflers from a member here which had the mod already done. As I said above, Darin Fister did the hack and the quality of the work was very high (it looked like an OEM weld). Best thing about doing it this way is that I still have my original mufflers and return to stock if need be.

Last edited by swajames; 01-21-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:16 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
After reading this thread there's no way I'm forking out $1500-$2500 for the PSE. I'm just wondering exactly who can do this job for me in Cincinnati area. Not sure I trust Midas to do it.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:18 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
And thinking about it a little more, the diameter of the connecting pipe (2" vs. 1" or in between) will affect both the pitch and the dB level from the exit area. I would think you'd get lower frequency from the bigger diameter pipe.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:36 PM
Steven B is infamous around these parts
OK, got a set of 997 mufflers to do the hack. I do have a question for those of you who might know:

My 996 hack consisted of welding a pipe from the "plugged" end of the muffler into the outlet pipe. I loved the sound and recomend it to anyone with a 996.

I see the 997.1 hack is a 2" pipe connecting the inlet/outlet pipes.

Does anyone know how the sounds from these 2 hacks compare? I have listened to a number of videos, but they do not tell the real story. Has anyone done both and what is the sound comparison?

Old 02-18-2010, 06:37 PM
djlod is infamous around these parts
I've got a set of 997 C2 3.6 OEM Stock Mufflers / Exhaust with Tips.
The mufflers are in great shape.
30K miles on the mufflers off my 2006 carrera.
These would be great for the "gundo" hack.
Local pick up preferred.
I can ship at your cost.
Email me with questions.
I can send you more pictures.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze
I wouldn't say it's a waste of money, I like the fact that it's OEM and has the ability to be muted when needed (re: your comment about police). I'd have the same question as JCS, if your setup passes emissions since it reroutes the exhaust preemptively and if any negative backpressure is created because of the bypass at both ends of the muffler.
The more I think about it, the inlet to the muffler is higher pressure than the exit, since the muffler routes cause pressure loss. Therefore, the gundo hack should actually breathe a bit better than stock.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:54 PM
Pmon is infamous around these parts
I recently bought a 500mile set of 997 mufflers from another 6 speeder - had the hack done with 2" stainless - looked factory, the welder was an older gent, real pride in his work. To me they sound great - The car was in at the main dealer yesterday for stone guard replacement and the techs in the shop were complimentary about the sound, especially given the simplicity. I wont be putting the stock ones back on any time soon

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PSE is a WASTE of Money!