997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Replica Ruf bumper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 10:44 AM
CayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really nice
Replica Ruf bumper

How is the quality of these, nice alternative to the gt3 front.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...spagenameZWDVW

Old 09-21-2007, 01:02 PM
Paris_CarreraS is a jewel in the roughParis_CarreraS is a jewel in the roughParis_CarreraS is a jewel in the rough
replicas are not always a good idea.....maybe they dont fit...the uses cheap materials......
just my idea.....

Old 09-21-2007, 01:18 PM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Man I really do like the RUF bumper. That green car is just sick nasty (in a very good way). These guys copy EVERYONE. Gemballa, RUF, Speedart, Techart. Crazy.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:41 PM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
I just bought the real RUF bumper and I'm getting quotes for paint and installation as we speak. Hopefully it will look nice in black.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:44 PM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
ruf is nice, but pricey.
if u got the dough, then go for it.

raja

Old 09-21-2007, 02:01 PM
ModHog is infamous around these parts
The Ruf front bumper is beautiful but $2k for a FG bumper is high for one. Second, I wouldnt recommend using a FG bumper.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:29 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
$2k sounds reasonable compared to what RUF is probably charging for that bumper. What does RUF charge for that bumper anyway?

Only major downside to FG is if you get tapped, it's probably going to crack. I'd take that gamble to save a few grand though... I guess it all depends on how much RUF is charging.

I am however interested in the hood they have. I just can't figure out what it's made of.

FWIW, I've had a fiberglass bumper on the rear of my 996 for a couple years now with no problems (knock on wood).

Old 09-21-2007, 02:53 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by deputydog95
$2k sounds reasonable compared to what RUF is probably charging for that bumper. What does RUF charge for that bumper anyway?

Only major downside to FG is if you get tapped, it's probably going to crack. I'd take that gamble to save a few grand though... I guess it all depends on how much RUF is charging.

I am however interested in the hood they have. I just can't figure out what it's made of.

FWIW, I've had a fiberglass bumper on the rear of my 996 for a couple years now with no problems (knock on wood).
Ruf website quotes $3,499 for the bumper.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:58 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
That would be a tough one then. If it was $5K like Techart charges, I would buy the replica in a minute.

For $1500, I might consider the RUF. Depending on the condition of the replica, you may end up spending a $1000 just getting it prepped before paint and install. I've heard some real horror stories about NR's stuff. The purchase of the part ending up being the down payment

I've never seen a RUF body part out of the box. How is the condition? I assume it's urethane? If so, the prep would probably be minimal. However, you can't assume just because it's from a big brand that you won't have prep. You should have seen how ****ty looking the techart wing I am having installed looked out of the box. Lots of sanding and smoothing on a MSRP $4K wing. Frankly it should come primed and ready to paint at that price.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:16 PM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
It's urethane. Mine came prep'd and primered already, but got a little damaged during the shipping.

According to the original purchaser, it did NOT come prepped. Since it was damaged during shipping, it will need some minor work done.

I'll post pics once its done.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:24 PM
Maison is infamous around these parts
The price is no doubt reasonable and very down to earth. However, what worries me somewhat is all the pics they have are or seems like are borrowed/downloaded from various boards of the original stuff. They should have nice quality photos of their products.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:37 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by deputydog95
That would be a tough one then. If it was $5K like Techart charges, I would buy the replica in a minute.

For $1500, I might consider the RUF. Depending on the condition of the replica, you may end up spending a $1000 just getting it prepped before paint and install. I've heard some real horror stories about NR's stuff. The purchase of the part ending up being the down payment

I've never seen a RUF body part out of the box. How is the condition? I assume it's urethane? If so, the prep would probably be minimal. However, you can't assume just because it's from a big brand that you won't have prep. You should have seen how ****ty looking the techart wing I am having installed looked out of the box. Lots of sanding and smoothing on a MSRP $4K wing. Frankly it should come primed and ready to paint at that price.
I agree - tough decision. I seem to remember someone within the last year was selling either a used Ruf bumper or one they bought and never installed. Price was great and it sold within hours. The catalogue says it's made of R-RIM - not sure what that means.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:48 PM
raffi is infamous around these parts
that sucks to hear there was damage spyder, i hope you were compensated in some way...
my front bumper was fiberglass and alot of the aftermarket bumpers are fiberglass whether original or copy. lucky that the newer stuff from techart or ruf is PU, but apparently those still need some work too.
the ebay company looks pretty good, i got my techart wing from them.
also, i called about the hood, and i am pretty sure it is a steel oem part which they modified to get the 993 look.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:57 PM
Here's the reply I got from them regarding the hood and materials:

Hi,
the hood is made of top quality tooling resing, because it has more strength that typical fiberglass, it is more expensive and most only use it on their molds, the hood comes in a white gelcoat and needs to be primed and painted, and it is typical the body shop will give it a light sand beofre they prime and paint,
thanks,
Jeffrey
www.Xtrememotorcars.com

Old 09-21-2007, 04:18 PM
neijia is infamous around these parts
Ruf uses polyurethane (same as Porsche), the fit and finish is worth $1500 to me. On my 996, I couldn't believe how perfect the front cover fit. I've also used "high quality fiberglass" on other cars, what a load of crap. Fiberglass is fiberglass; it doesn't fit, it doesn't flex, hit a curb, and your cover's toast. The claims of "light sanding before paint" is also not true. Gel coat is always full of bubbles, when sanded, these bubbles turn into little holes that have to be filled... of course it can be fixed by anyone, just a pain in the ***. Just my opinion
go find a fiberglass bumper, park your car next to it, and compare the two materials... knock on them, and push your thumb in

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Replica Ruf bumper