American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

Unique Performance ‘title washing’ scandal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 06:56 AM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Unique Performance ‘title washing’ scandal

Unique Performance is a custom vehicle manufacturer based in Dallas, Texas, licensed to build Ford Mustang replicas complete with the Carroll Shelby name. Earlier this month, the outfit was investigated by local police because of complaints from customers who’ve fronted the six figure asking price but never received their cars even after several years of waiting.

During an interview with the NY Times, a police officer revealed that Unique was altering the vehicle identification numbers of some of its cars. In this way, Unique could ‘title wash’ old salvage cars by retitling them in another state, restore them, and sell them to unknowing customers.
Unique’s phone number has since been disconnected and its website shutdown. Unfortunately, there are customers who have paid up to $200,000 for one of the refurbished cars and they are unlikely to see any of this money returned.
Some customers who have received their cars haven’t got out completely scot free either. Since many of the refurbished cars were based on common six-cylinder models altered to look like the rare high-performance versions, their values will now depreciate just as badly as the more common models.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:28 AM
StrikerX50 is infamous around these partsStrikerX50 is infamous around these parts
Isn't MTK involved in a suit against those guys?

Old 11-26-2007, 07:40 AM
ol'school is infamous around these parts
That sucks!

Old 11-26-2007, 07:58 AM
IIVVX is infamous around these partsIIVVX is infamous around these parts
any imput MTK? you didnt get a sixer did you?

Old 11-26-2007, 09:13 AM
Banned
Hllywood has a spectacular aura aboutHllywood has a spectacular aura aboutHllywood has a spectacular aura about
Most of those cars were originally 6 bangers. The v8's were too hard to come by...for the $$$ Uniqueless was willing to spend. So MANY of their "creations" were 6 bangers. I don't know about MTK's car, but without the origianl VIN, fenders or windshield tag...he may never know for sure.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:40 AM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
I would think that MTK's car and any other completed car would be worth more now because of their rarity and the story associated with the cars.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:49 AM
The Pun
as MTK's 6speed online legal panel all I can say is "No Comment"...

Old 11-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Banned
Hllywood has a spectacular aura aboutHllywood has a spectacular aura aboutHllywood has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 2thfixr
I would think that MTK's car and any other completed car would be worth more now because of their rarity and the story associated with the cars.
Not necessarily. It's not like Unique is some famed dead artist. Another "builder" has Shelby's endorsement and is turning out very similar cars as I'm typing...for ALOT less.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:32 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
I love how no one gives DJ the REPOST

Old 11-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Banned
Ok. Repost x 10.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Afg
Afg is infamous around these parts
Thanx 4 sharing

Old 11-26-2007, 02:58 PM
IIVVX is infamous around these partsIIVVX is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Afg
Thanx 4 sharing
sure are thankful today eh?

Old 11-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Secure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by IIVVX
any imput MTK? you didnt get a sixer did you?
I can assure his is not near a 6er. Unfortunate situation for those with no car. At least MTK GOT his car!

Old 11-26-2007, 06:37 PM
BottleCapKid is infamous around these parts
the hasty dude is SO SO lucky my bro got his car---mrmybro is hella cool but if you mess with him or the family its all bad. unique wasnt going to give my bro his car but somehow someway my bro got it

Old 11-26-2007, 06:55 PM
jamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond repute
Who cares what the cars were originally? 6 cyls or 8 it doesn't matter they are redone Restomods! they were never supposed to be orignal Shelbys! The only thing that was supposed to be original were the original bodies. So if you got your car there shouldn't be anything wrong with it, because technically now it has become an original Unique Shelby and what it was before has become irrelevent, not the other way around.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Unique Performance ‘title washing’ scandal