American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

Pontiac G8 Sport Truck Unleashed, El Camino is back

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 01:23 AM
VIPHOON69 is infamous around these parts

El Camino is back

The legendary Chevrolet El Camino truck is carved into US car history in its very own, unique and special way. Its beginnings can be traced back to 1959 when the first generation, based on the Chevrolet Brookwood, was conceived to compete with the Ford Ranchero. Sales were not as expected, and in 1960 the El Camino was discontinued.

1964 saw the return of the El Camino, this time based on the Chevrolet Chevelle. Two more generations followed which were based on the Chevelle until 1978 when GM revealed the smaller, fourth generation El Camino based on the Chevrolet Malibu. In 1987 production of the Camino was discontinued once again.

Today, the El Camino has started yet another chapter with the unveiling of the Pontiac G8 Sport Truck (or simply the Pontiac G8 ST). Jalopnik got close to the new Pontiac G8 Sport Truck at a photo shoot of the pre-production model and dropped us a few shots of the new El Camino. PickUpTruck was the other lucky invitee.

The Pontiac G8 ST is based on the popular G8, which in turn is based on the Australian Holden VE Commodore. The Pontiac – Holden connection is not new of course since the legendary Pontiac GTO was derived from the Holden Monaro.

"Pontiac has never shied away from offering segment-defining vehicles, going back to the original GTO," said Jim Bunnell, Buick-Pontiac-GMC general manager. "There's simply nothing else like the G8 sport truck on the road today, and we definitely believe that there are customers who will be excited by its distinctive design, performance and cargo capabilities."

The Pontiac G8 ST will be powered by the 6.0L V-8 engine, producing 361 horsepower (270 kW) and 385 lb.-ft. (522 Nm) of torque just like the Pontiac G8 GT. In addition, the Sport Truck also comes with a 1.8 meter long cargo bed and 1208 liter cargo space.

GM will start an online petition to determine what the new ute should be called, but is there really an alternative to Pontiac G8 El Camino?
Source: Pontiac via Jalopnik

Old 03-20-2008, 04:25 PM
SINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura about
That would make a bad *** shop truck or bike hauler.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:09 PM
aeronos is infamous around these parts
Those things are real popular in Australia - I'm sure that's where the concept is coming from. Although I don't think they sell under the "Pontiac" brand, I think it's under Ford or another Company.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:13 PM
achtung6 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by aeronos
Those things are real popular in Australia - I'm sure that's where the concept is coming from. Although I don't think they sell under the "Pontiac" brand, I think it's under Ford or another Company.
I think you mean Holden which is a GM brand in Australia. Ford would be the competition but does offer this type of vehicle in OZ.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Scryer_360 is infamous around these parts
Ugly, the mullet is out of style, and only men with unservicable attractions to their sisters could love it.

Failure.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:52 PM
SMRR is infamous around these parts
man, i am just not digging that.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:08 PM
VIPHOON69 is infamous around these parts
this hasnt been decided as to whether its a sports truck or a truck pickup style

as for its origin its based on HOLDEN aka GM HSV brand of UTE
its like the G8 is a platform of the VE Commodore and so on.

as for its style its not bad except to me it looks like a VE with a Pontiac front bumper imho it needed more then just a nose cone(front end) to deserve the name.(el camino)

MALOO
SSV
SS

Last edited by VIPHOON69; 03-20-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:18 PM
Rob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant future
Yep, was just down in Australia and these things are all over the place. Holdens and Fords. Very few traditional pickup trucks.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:27 AM
Bob.au is infamous around these parts
I will admit, it does look ugly with the Pontiac front end. Can't help bad luck I guess!

Old 03-21-2008, 03:20 AM
Adismo is infamous around these parts
Fugly.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:21 AM
SpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura about
I'd take the green truck first. Pontiac is STILL TRYING to use their UGLY Pontiac "wide trak grand prix front end" (another ugly creation of theirs) on a perfectly good pickup. This is yet another example of LAZY ENGINEERING and then they have the audacity to use BMW-styled (from years ago) wheels on the "truck" which don't flow with the lines on the body. it needs to be wider, lower, or with that option available, at least, and the front end needs to be rounded instead of the "pontiac point" that's there now. Who's in charge there? They appear to be trying to go retro from a failed design. If they want to go more retro, why not use a 57 chevy or something like that if they can't IMAGINE anything truly different or unique?

Old 03-22-2008, 04:34 PM
GSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Scryer_360
Ugly, the mullet is out of style, and only men with unservicable attractions to their sisters could love it.

Failure.

Agreed!

Old 03-23-2008, 09:21 PM
Redline is infamous around these parts
Not good.