American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

ZO6 Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 06:36 AM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
ZO6 Questions

I have noticed that the prices on new and used Zs are plummeting.

I have always loved the C3 Corvettes and all my life I have dreamed of owning one...I am not a fan of C4 or C5 at all.

I have been out and about looking for the right C3 (69-71) when I saw a ZO6 on the road the other day...I have to say...it's a gorgeous car.

It has made me start to think about getting one in lieu of a C3. I prefer not to have a ton of headaches...ie get in the car and know it will start!

But I've never driven one.

What options, etc., are must have's?
I hate the stock wheels so I would go aftermarket.
Would you pick up a used 06, 07 or a current 08 or order an 09? I'm not overly concerned about the price difference but certainly don't want a car that's been beaten on.
Will I be dissapointed compared with my 997 Turbo? I know everyone says they are totally different, etc., but exactly how are they different experiences? My Cobra is a smile a second...all HP all the time...but forget about going around a corner! Is that kind of what I can expect from a ZO6?
I know the interior is crap...but can you get the new upgraded one with an 08 or 09?

Any insight you can provide is appreciated!

Old 04-26-2008, 06:49 AM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by raclaims
I have noticed that the prices on new and used Zs are plummeting.

I have always loved the C3 Corvettes and all my life I have dreamed of owning one...I am not a fan of C4 or C5 at all.

I have been out and about looking for the right C3 (69-71) when I saw a ZO6 on the road the other day...I have to say...it's a gorgeous car.

It has made me start to think about getting one in lieu of a C3. I prefer not to have a ton of headaches...ie get in the car and know it will start!

But I've never driven one.

Would you pick up a used 06, 07 or a current 08 or order an 09? I'm not overly concerned about the price difference but certainly don't want a car that's been beaten on.
Will I be dissapointed compared with my 997 Turbo? I know everyone says they are totally different, etc., but exactly how are they different experiences? My Cobra is a smile a second...all HP all the time...but forget about going around a corner! Is that kind of what I can expect from a ZO6?
I know the interior is crap...but can you get the new upgraded one with an 08 or 09?

Any insight you can provide is appreciated!
You want the NAV package for dash looks and nav features of course.
Umm, i had two of em but I dont remember what option groups they had but I had all of them.

360 Forged (do a search here) and HRE has awesome wheels for the Z06. Checkout the orange and blue Z06s listed on this forum with custom 360 forged wheels. THey are unreal! However you will have to lower the car by adjusting the bolts / cutting the bushings for the ultimate look on those.

Get an 07. The 07 has a better suspension than the 06. That is the only difference.

You will NOT be dissapointed compared to your 997 turbo. the car pulls and will probably pull on your stock 997 turbo up high. It handles great / tight even on leaf springs. I had an red one with long tubes, mild tune, and switchable exhaust switch for the baffles. The car was faster than several chippd 996 turbos I've raced on the highway. Also the z06 is a design you can not get bored on. I dont know about waiting for an 08 or 09, rather get a slightly used unbeaten low miled 07's.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:49 AM
TonyNJ is a glorious beacon of lightTonyNJ is a glorious beacon of lightTonyNJ is a glorious beacon of lightTonyNJ is a glorious beacon of lightTonyNJ is a glorious beacon of light
Hey Justin, I just picked up an 06 Z06. The biggest difference is fun factor, this car put's a smile on your face the minute you turn the key, mine isn't exactly stock (725hp TT package). If you wanna drive it let me know and I'll swing by and you can judge for yourself on the differences.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:54 AM
TonyNJ is a glorious beacon of lightTonyNJ is a glorious beacon of lightTonyNJ is a glorious beacon of lightTonyNJ is a glorious beacon of lightTonyNJ is a glorious beacon of light
I bought the car on this web site. It was built in Australia and the work is amazing!!

http://airpowersystems.com/corvette/z06.htm

Last edited by TonyNJ; 04-26-2008 at 06:58 AM.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:46 AM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
Tony,

Very, very nice!

Old 04-26-2008, 09:25 AM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
Awesome...thanks guys.

Tony you are the man... I can't wait to see this thing!

What do you think about getting a new 427 ltd edition? Waste of money?

Old 04-26-2008, 12:07 PM
LMBZ06 is a glorious beacon of lightLMBZ06 is a glorious beacon of lightLMBZ06 is a glorious beacon of lightLMBZ06 is a glorious beacon of lightLMBZ06 is a glorious beacon of light
I second the vote for an 07 or newer. They "may" have a better suspension/tranny, but more importantly, you won't have to worry about your roof flying off ! I don't think the 09's will have any huge changes in performance or interior. The "Limited Edition" Z06's are way over-priced, wait awhile, & they'll be at msrp or less.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:42 PM
HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !
New 08's can be found for $65K. Used 07's are +/- $60K.

08's have a new tranny and steering calibration/parts. The 08' definitely shifts better than the previous years, but it's not enough of a difference IMO to spend up to an 08' unless you want the 'new' interior option. Steering is the same FWIW.

07' has different rear shocks than the 06's. That small difference in parts = a big difference in rear bump-steer reduction. No other suspension differences between 06' and 07'.

06/07 have two major package differences - basically, 1LZ is stripped and 2LZ is loaded. NAV is an option beyond the package. 08' has full leather interior options. Not Porsche-like, but better than before.

Onstar is forced on 08' cars.. Option on 07' and N/A on 06' (I believe).

Once you learn how to get a C6Z off the line, it will leave a 997TT.

GL w/ your decision.