American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

Buying A Viper...Need Some Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 11:03 AM
ViperMuscle83 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for all the responses, btw, guys. I really do appreciate the feedback and value your opinions.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:20 PM
CARTOON is infamous around these parts
I don't remember what the weight of either top is, but I do know they aren't that heavy. And if I remember correctly, both tops run between 2300 and 2700, so they aren't that expensive (don't hold me to that price range though as I haven't seen the prices lately).

Here is what the A.P Engineering top looks like. The company that makes this top also makes an '08 replica hood that works with the '03-'06 SRT model stripes and a bad *** wide body (Comp Coupe-ish) kit for the SRT (pic below as well).

This top makes the vert look just as good as a coupe (IMO).

Here is the kit that A.P Engineering makes (includes front fascia, hood, rear, sides, front and rear fenders and hardtop).

Old 05-05-2008, 12:39 PM
analogmike is a glorious beacon of lightanalogmike is a glorious beacon of lightanalogmike is a glorious beacon of lightanalogmike is a glorious beacon of lightanalogmike is a glorious beacon of lightanalogmike is a glorious beacon of light
I think the GTS/ACR looks better and will hold it's value better because of that. It's more of a classic look and should not get dated IMHO. An 01 or 02 ACR is a great car, with ABS which is an improvement over the earlier ones. But I have driven an '02 ACR and the suspension (solid bushings, stiff shocks) is not comfortable on the street. Since I already have two race cars I bought a normal '01 GTS for a better street car.

Either way you can't lose, have fun!!

Old 05-05-2008, 02:46 PM
JN87 is infamous around these parts
Oh yeah, the Street Serpent body kit from AP Engineering is hot!
Depending on your budget, you might consider a 2008 Viper, the MSRP was lowered from previous SRT's, and you can finance it if you need. And the 2008 is turning out to be the best production Viper ever made, countless improvements (big and small) in pretty much all aspects.
I'd suggest you join the VCA forum if you haven't done yet, many of those guys have alot of knowledge on the car and will most likely be able to answer any question you throw at them.
Anyhow, a Viper is a Viper, you'll have fun with either Generation.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:50 PM
CARTOON is infamous around these parts
I definitely agree with JN87. Join the VCA.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:31 PM
zen garage is infamous around these parts
come hang out at the viperalley....they love new guys. i daily drove a gts and a srt. hands down the srt is a far superior car. in the right hands and set up well, it is an absolute beast around town and on the track.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:51 PM
ViperMuscle83 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by zen garage
come hang out at the viperalley....they love new guys. i daily drove a gts and a srt. hands down the srt is a far superior car. in the right hands and set up well, it is an absolute beast around town and on the track.
I definitely will join the viperalley and VCA forums asap. So far, I'm starting to see that most of you guys are confirming my own instincts to go with the SRT. I know that it would be a sweeeeeeeeeet ride to enjoy for a long while. One thing I forgot to mention is that I live in Chicago. The roads here resemble the face of the moon. Someone I know actually saw a couple pictures of Fallujah, Iraq after a couple road side bombings and thought the road was one on the west side of Chicago...I wish I was kidding about that as well, but I'm not. So I will be really enjoying dodging potholes this summer. It's ok, though, because it will be like driving on a obstacle course and will sharpen my reaction timing...lol. I pity the fool who drives anything over $200,000 anywhere in Chicagoland. I'm so glad to see that my tax dollars aren't being wasted on silly things such as actual flat surfaces to drive automobiles on. Anyways, that concludes my rant on the streets of Chicago. If any of you guys live here, I'm sure you know exactly how I feel. I'm just hoping I don't stumble on to some road that destroys my investment.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Simba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud of
SRT + SSR wheels + PS2 rubber + good alignment = Probably the most fun you'll ever have on the street.

Add the paxton blower for extra giggles. (I am)

Old 05-07-2008, 01:27 AM
Milan is infamous around these partsMilan is infamous around these parts
IMO the Viper is one of those cars where you get the newest one you can afford. Every year is better than the year before it.

Personally I can't stand the interior on the cars before the current generation.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:42 AM
CharlieH313 is infamous around these parts
I drove a Viper once that belonged to a friend. A SRT-10. A ton of fun to drive and just brute torque. It's one of the cars that I just always remember the feeling of driving.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:32 AM
analogmike is a glorious beacon of lightanalogmike is a glorious beacon of lightanalogmike is a glorious beacon of lightanalogmike is a glorious beacon of lightanalogmike is a glorious beacon of lightanalogmike is a glorious beacon of light
I almost bought an 08 for the power but I just like the GTS classic looks so much better. The 996 does not really look like a 911 so people don't really like them, but the 997 is getting much better. Maybe if a new generation of Vipers comes out they will get back to a classic Viper look. But I fear this is the last generation of Vipers.

My '01 has more than enough power for the street, I am a semi-pro race driver and I can barely control the stock power on curvy back roads. I just ordered some Toyo RA1s and SSR whreels which should be better at coping with the stock power on the street. Then I can open up the exhaust for better sound and a little more high end. High end HP is the only real difference over the years, the torque has not changed that much.

Have fun!!!

Old 05-07-2008, 09:34 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
I am toying with the idea of an 08 ACR...thoughts? I hear its pretty trick right from the factory...

Old 05-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by sechsgang
I am toying with the idea of an 08 ACR...thoughts? I hear its pretty trick right from the factory...
You wanna see some REAL air at the top of the hill at LRP??? That would do it, they are sick, not trick. I wonder what a bone stock '08 ACR would run at Lime Rock with a good enough driver...

Old 05-07-2008, 11:42 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by analogmike
You wanna see some REAL air at the top of the hill at LRP??? That would do it, they are sick, not trick. I wonder what a bone stock '08 ACR would run at Lime Rock with a good enough driver...
I dont know, but Ill bet even on that tight course, that thing would STILL kick ***...Im honestly thinking 996 cup times...

Old 05-07-2008, 07:20 PM
zen garage is infamous around these parts
well if you are in chicago come stop by my shop...at any given time i have a nice handful of vipers undergoing different repairs. i am currently putting a paxton on a 04 mamba, rebuilding a 06 coupe and pimping a 08 ssg.
as you can tell by my avatar, I am a viper guy at heart. i would be more than happy to sit down with you to discuss over a beer

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buying A Viper...Need Some Advice