American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

Buying A Viper...Need Some Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 02:26 PM
ViperMuscle83 is infamous around these parts
Buying A Viper...Need Some Advice

Hey guys,

I'm new to the boards here, but I'm a huge car enthusiast and in particular, a Viper guru. I'm getting close to purchasing my first Viper and I've narrowed it down to two totally different cars. The choice will be between a Gen II Acr OR a Gen III vert SRT-10. The way I see it, there are pros and cons to each that I can't help to over analyze so I'd like to hear different points of view from current and previous viper owners or enthusiasts.

ACR Pros:
-Coupe
-Minimal loss of value
-Exclusive
-Timeless
-Ready for track

ACR Cons:
-Even though I appreciate simplicity, the interior is atrocious
-Old body starting to look its age
-Less HP/TQ
-Less forgiving suspension
-Overall slight disadvantage performance-wise (brakes, susp, eng, trans...)

SRT Pros:
-New body is sick!
-Side pipes
-Interior is light-years more advanced...still simple just cleaner
-More power, better performance
-Good prices available

SRT Cons:
-Vert...I really hate verts although it still looks amazing with the top up.
-Doesn't hold value as well as ACR
-Needs wheels badly

I have obsessed over and followed the Viper ever since its its debut in 91 when I was a little runt just dreaming. Now, the dream is starting become reality and I'm overwhelmed by the decision I have to make, which long ago seemed so easy. I'd like to hear what you guys think. Thanks.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:49 PM
MTGTS is just really niceMTGTS is just really niceMTGTS is just really niceMTGTS is just really niceMTGTS is just really nice
Originally Posted by ViperMuscle83
Hey guys,

I'm new to the boards here, but I'm a huge car enthusiast and in particular, a Viper guru. I'm getting close to purchasing my first Viper and I've narrowed it down to two totally different cars. The choice will be between a Gen II Acr OR a Gen III vert SRT-10. The way I see it, there are pros and cons to each that I can't help to over analyze so I'd like to hear different points of view from current and previous viper owners or enthusiasts.

ACR Pros:
-Coupe
-Minimal loss of value
-Exclusive
-Timeless
-Ready for track

ACR Cons:
-Even though I appreciate simplicity, the interior is atrocious
-Old body starting to look its age
-Less HP/TQ
-Less forgiving suspension
-Overall slight disadvantage performance-wise (brakes, susp, eng, trans...)

SRT Pros:
-New body is sick!
-Side pipes
-Interior is light-years more advanced...still simple just cleaner
-More power, better performance
-Good prices available

SRT Cons:
-Vert...I really hate verts although it still looks amazing with the top up.
-Doesn't hold value as well as ACR
-Needs wheels badly

I have obsessed over and followed the Viper ever since its its debut in 91 when I was a little runt just dreaming. Now, the dream is starting become reality and I'm overwhelmed by the decision I have to make, which long ago seemed so easy. I'd like to hear what you guys think. Thanks.
What are you going to use the car for? I don't like the Gen 3's @ all except for the 06 coupe's. I'd buy the ACR and never think twice about it. The only thing you really have to watch out for on the ACR's specifically are the shocks. They have a tendency to go bad

Old 05-04-2008, 03:00 PM
TTM0TION is infamous around these parts
My uncle was in the same situation not to long ago. Def. a huge decision but what a great one to have to make. I personally woudl get the SRT based on looks both inside and out, performance and the whole bit. I would also strive for a Mamba, there are a few for sale online, if your wallet doesn't mind. If you don't like the vert why not get a coupe? Does the year changes affect the price that drastically?

Old 05-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Honestly, I'm not looking for a track car...just something to shead tears in on the road. I would likely drive this car less than 5k miles/year but I want to enjoy every single one of them. I do drive pretty aggressively on the road, but I always respect the power of my cars and get to know them well before taking any chances on the road. I have owned a c5 vette, c5 z06, 03 Cobra, and most recently an M5.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by TTM0TION
My uncle was in the same situation not to long ago. Def. a huge decision but what a great one to have to make. I personally woudl get the SRT based on looks both inside and out, performance and the whole bit. I would also strive for a Mamba, there are a few for sale online, if your wallet doesn't mind. If you don't like the vert why not get a coupe? Does the year changes affect the price that drastically?

Oh absolutely. If it will be the SRT, I'm buying nothing less than a White or Black Mamba...preferrably White...found one not too far away for $52k with 8k on it and I'm definitely tempted.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:05 PM
TTM0TION is infamous around these parts
I mean I would say SRT man. You get all the newer technology and ride and performance from the car plus I bet you will come to appreciate the ability to put the top down on occasion. BUT like I said aren't coupes just priced a bit north of the verts?

EDIT- just saw your reply and OMG I have been looking for a white one foreverrrrrrr. I would say jump on that all day long and do not look back.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:05 PM
zen garage is infamous around these parts
the srt has a cupholder

Old 05-04-2008, 03:36 PM
-X-
-X- has a spectacular aura about-X- has a spectacular aura about
I love the SRT's, the only issue my friend has was that when it rained the carpet would get wet. The seals around the top tend to leak.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:08 PM
JN87 is infamous around these parts
The late model (2001-2002) ACR's with ABS seem to be priced close to the SRT's and coupes are also pretty close.
A Viper is a Viper, where ever you go, you will bring up a small crowd almost anywhere. Respect is also mandatory with this car... it tends to bite if your not careful. Many on the VCA forum came from cars like modded Z06's and Cobras, but no car can really compare in terms of feel.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by JN87
The late model (2001-2002) ACR's with ABS seem to be priced close to the SRT's and coupes are also pretty close.
A Viper is a Viper, where ever you go, you will bring up a small crowd almost anywhere. Respect is also mandatory with this car... it tends to bite if your not careful. Many on the VCA forum came from cars like modded Z06's and Cobras, but no car can really compare in terms of feel.
No doubt. I have driven an SRT in Vegas. I rented one during my stay there and it was undeniably awesome to drive, but I definitely realized the need to closely observe its responses in every facet to avoid losing control. I also noticed how easy it was to go tail happy and throughout the weekend, I got accustomed to its handling. A few weeks later, my cousin bought a 2000 GTS and I immediately noticed the difference in almost every performance factor. I must admit I am heavily leaning towards the SRT for its significant adjustments, the only thing that I'm still questioning is the resell factor for the SRT over the ACR. If I would strap on the sack to get the ACR, it would have to be because someone with more knowledge and experience than me really convinced me.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:11 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
I don't really think any Viper depreciates too badly, so go for the newest one you can afford. It would seem that if you have no plans to use it as a track toy, the ACR isn't really the better choice.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:44 AM
silversrt has a spectacular aura aboutsilversrt has a spectacular aura aboutsilversrt has a spectacular aura about
Had both

Had both an ACR and currently an 04 SRT. The SRT is leagues ahead of the GTS/ACR in handling and refinement (if there is such a thing with a Viper). Looks are a personal preference. Both cars used have taken the brunt of their depreciation so dont think you can go wrong there. If you get the SRT, get an autoform hardtop. I love mine. Can go topless when you want, but 30 seconds later can transform to a hardtop look with minimal effort and very difficult to tell its even removable. Of course, you cant take with you, which is a bummer, but what the hell. The SRT is definitely a more refined car. I would highly recommend exhaust and one mandatory mod on either is 3.55 rear gears. With just exhaust (no cats) and 3.55s, Ive been 11.58 @ 126 in the SRT. Just my .02c.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:08 AM
hardtop is infamous around these parts
Gen 2 will hold it's value longer.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:58 AM
CARTOON is infamous around these parts
Here is my opinion. The GTS is a beautiful car, but the SRT is as well. IMO, the SRT looks more aggressive. If you're looking for something to use on the track, you could definitely do the SRT. Just add a roll bar and a hardtop from Autoform and or A.P Engineering.

The SRT vert looks sick with a hardtop. And you have MANY wheel options to choose from. The SSR wheels are made for the track, but are also great for every day street use.

My pick would be the SRT (and Im not a vert person either).

Last edited by CARTOON; 05-05-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Good point. I never thought about the autoform. How much can I get one for roughly? Is it really that easy to take on and off? About how much does it weigh? Stop me if I'm overwhelming you with questions...lol.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buying A Viper...Need Some Advice