American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

pros & cons of Z06 vs 996 4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 12:49 AM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
pros & cons of Z06 vs 996 4S

Hello everyone,
Long time 6speeder, but have not spent any time really in the American Muscle section of the site. I'm a long time fan of the Vette ever since I was a kid....and now I am able to buy my dream cars in real life, of which the Z06 is definitely one of those. Currently I have a 996 C4S, but am wanting to make the jump to a more raw powered mean machine like the Z06. Pros of the 4S include the AWD (for handling and winter), very forgiving car regardless of how hard you push it, and just the look and feel. So I just wanted to recruit the opinions of what I should expect with the pros and cons of the Z06's (C6 models please) from current and previous owners. If you own an AWD 996 already as well as the Z06, I would definitely love to get those opinions in differences as well....
Thanks everyone.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:57 AM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Did you ever consider to buy a 996tt after 4s?

Old 06-14-2008, 05:06 AM
PbPedis is infamous around these parts
The torque will put a permanent **** eating grin on your face. Don't even attempt to drive it in the winter though, if you get snow where you are.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:11 AM
elh0102 is infamous around these parts
I've never owned a Porsche awd car, but did own a 997 2S for a year; great car. I owned a C5 ZO6, and have now owned a C6 ZO6 for about 8 months, through 6K road and track miles (3 DE events). The ZO6 is a lot of fun, and it will teach (demand) a different driving style. Learning throttle control is essential, especially on street tires (my car is totally stock). It is a beautifully balanced car, and fully track capable with only the routine brake maintenance. If the car has negative considerations, I would name only a couple.

First, it is obviously not comparable to the Porsche in terms of interior or exterior materials and finish; the cosmetics, not the running gear or suspension, which is all first class.

Second, and this will sound ironic, but the car's power. Obviously its power is not usable on the street. On track, traction is such an issue, especially on street tires, the car's only real advantage over your Porsche, is straight line acceleration and speed, more important to some folks than others. Since I'm getting on in years now, I find 165+ speeds, with no track-specific safety equipment, a little concerning. As a result, I enjoy the car's handling and acceleration out of turns, but usually will short shift into the next gear and take my time down the straights, and still find myself at 145-150 very quickly. In a typical 15-20 minute session, I will usually push hard for one lap, maybe a couple.

In terms of the cars balance, it is very forgiving, although lacking a very protective level of understeer, as found in many cars. But, most experienced drivers appreciate its more neutral setup. When cornering near the limit, especially in switchbacks, you just have to use finesse with the throttle, or your gone.

It's a fun car, probably without equal at a comparable price. But, a lot of that fun is only realized on track. I would not buy it for a purely street driven sports car. Frankly, I've about come to the conclusion, in that category, the Cayman S might be the best thing out there.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:56 AM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Speedshaq- you know, I've been considering the TT's, but am just looking for something a little more reasonable in terms of power to cost ratio. Believe me a TT is definitely in the running (one already modded for me)

Pbpedis - that's what I'm looking for is that pure power. Uncontrollable aggression sitting there just waiting to be woken....as for the winter, yes, definitely this car will be sitting in the garage but fortunately in Virginia it doesn't snow more than maybe 10-15 days per year, the rain on the other hand......

Old 06-14-2008, 08:09 AM
Ahhh, elh0102, this was a great synopsis. I would be interested in using this car for a street and occassional DE/track car.

Believe me I have become spoiled with reasonable power and AWD grip, so should I take the plunge into the world of the Z, there will be a sharp learning curve for me.

I think a true test drive is in order and will need to compare the two.

Thanks again for the great review, you provided a few points I would have never thought to consider.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:35 AM
elh0102 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by boochook
I think a true test drive is in order and will need to compare the two.

Thanks again for the great review, you provided a few points I would have never thought to consider.
When you test drive the ZO6, it will feel large compared to your 996. Although it is a longer wb than the Porsche, it's actually smaller and lighter, a fact often missed. When the car is driven at speed, that sensation of mass goes away. But that's really what the car is all about, and why it's hard to appreciate in typical street driving. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM or email.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:35 AM
^^ you got it buddy!! Thanks again.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:00 AM
JROW is infamous around these parts
Just buy the Z...you won't regret it.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:49 PM
rodney3211 is infamous around these parts
Z06 hands down. I love the Porsches, but other than interior quality (and the Z06 is still just fine) there is no comparison. They even get the same highway mileage.