American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

2004-2006 GTO or LSX help...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 06:20 PM
xxForgedxx is infamous around these partsxxForgedxx is infamous around these partsxxForgedxx is infamous around these partsxxForgedxx is infamous around these parts
2004-2006 GTO or LSX help...

I am finding myself straying from small displacement forced induction cars. I have become much more interested in the LSX series powered cars and would like some help with them. I have a LOT of questions but hopefully someone can link me or break things down for me because my knowledge extends only to bolt ons and mild upgrades.

I have become very interested in the GTO and I hear that the GTO+Turbo goes VERY well, even supercharged GTO's. I won't lie I think the next car I buy will be something scary fast and that is what I am shooting for. I would like help with the good, the bad and the ugly of what to expect in terms of maintenance, repairs, fuel efficiency (it shouldn't matter but I still would like to know) as well as getting the power to the ground.

I am trying to get a bit more educated in terms of the actual motor. I am shaking on terms such as:

Cams:
Pistons:
Rods:
Top end:
Bottom eng:
Short block:
Long block:
Bearings:
Bore:
Stroke (or Stroker):
Different displacement: 383, 402, 427 etc...

What does each do? What is the benefit of modifying? What does it do? How much? How does it change how the car runs?

What advice do you all have? This will be a car that is driven as much as possible until weather compromises drivability. Is it a bad idea to buy a car that has already been built and change what I would like to change?

What should I know?

Old 09-26-2008, 06:33 PM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
read up on ls1tech.com

you'll get more info than here

Old 09-26-2008, 06:38 PM
xxForgedxx is infamous around these partsxxForgedxx is infamous around these partsxxForgedxx is infamous around these partsxxForgedxx is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RFFG
read up on ls1tech.com

you'll get more info than here
I'm on LS1tech but there is a guy here with a built GTO and I'm waiting for him to chime in.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:05 AM
Memphis is a splendid one to beholdMemphis is a splendid one to beholdMemphis is a splendid one to beholdMemphis is a splendid one to beholdMemphis is a splendid one to beholdMemphis is a splendid one to beholdMemphis is a splendid one to behold
What kind of power you looking for?

Old 09-27-2008, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by Memphis
What kind of power you looking for?

The most power I can have without losing 100% normal streetable driving.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:57 AM
hardtop is infamous around these parts
On LSX cars with FI your best bet is to stick with a stock Cubic Inch short block (with good rods and pistons).The stock crank is strong and so are the blocks,your best bet is a nice set of heads like AFR with a thick deck.With a APS turbo kit and a good fuel system you can easily make 600+ to the wheels and still be a daily driver. My wife's old SS had a turbo technology kit. It made 650 rwhp and she drove it everyday.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by hardtop
On LSX cars with FI your best bet is to stick with a stock Cubic Inch short block (with good rods and pistons).The stock crank is strong and so are the blocks,your best bet is a nice set of heads like AFR with a thick deck.With a APS turbo kit and a good fuel system you can easily make 600+ to the wheels and still be a daily driver. My wife's old SS had a turbo technology kit. It made 650 rwhp and she drove it everyday.

Kinda a dumb question but how was the gas mileage in and out of boost... and then mixed.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:37 AM
2fast455 is infamous around these parts
Best advice I can give you is to buy one already built by a reputable tuner. Let someone else take the loss for the mods.

If you keep boost under 9lbs you will be safe on stock Ls1 bottom end. Anything over 9lbs it will probably eat the number 7 piston. If you go forged bottom end while it is apart may as well go stroker and do a 383 or get crazy bore stroke and sleeve and go 422 or 427. Once you get to that point then the possibilities are endless as long as your wallet is deep enough.

The drawback is by this time you begin to realize you have a motor worth more than the car.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:17 AM
hardtop is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by xxForgedxx
Kinda a dumb question but how was the gas mileage in and out of boost... and then mixed.
18-20 hwy,playing around 10-12,but it's hard to drive slow.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:58 PM
SINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura about
I've been a LSx owner of some kind since '97 and on LS1Tech since 2002. If you want reliable, daily driver power without going to crazy do a mild cam, intake, headers, exhaust and gears. You will be more then happy.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:16 PM
BAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of light
ls1tech is where the big names and all the experience are. Start searching there, there is more info than you will know what to do with.

And remember it's cam, rather than cams.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:57 PM
bluegoat is infamous around these parts
ls1tech like the others have said. Also for GTO specfic info ls1gto.com has good info.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:13 PM
A10Beav is infamous around these parts
If you want high hp and fuel mileage, then stick with the stock displacement. Go with the '05-06 GTO because they have the LS2, then change the cam, intake, ported heads and exhaust - this will get you 500hp+ at the crank, but you'll still get great mileage in town or on the highway. If you throw boost on it, then you can get the insane hp you mentioned, but you'll burn more gas too (maybe use nitrous as an alternative).

Old 10-01-2008, 07:18 AM
josh2448 is infamous around these parts
A friend of mine had a Camaro SS in 02 and he abused the **** out of it. 200 nitrous shot, raced every weekend and did donuts in about every parking lot he ever went too. The LS1 in there took it all like a champ and I am convinced had he not dorve it into a lake, it would still be running to this day.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:49 AM
RattlemeUP is infamous around these parts
You should know that LS7 is too weak for boost so thats what you need to buy cause it loves spray.

Also, kidd's a *****.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2004-2006 GTO or LSX help...