American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

Z06 as a track car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 10:54 PM
CorvZ061 is infamous around these partsCorvZ061 is infamous around these parts
if you have any questions about the C6Z and tracking, PM me for a good forum where there are a lot of people tracking their car in either stock or close too stock all the way to full on racer, and no it's not corvette forum, they're too stuck up..

Old 12-01-2008, 09:58 AM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by raiyu
How much is the dry sump upgrade run? Are the 08's also affected and need the upgrade?
Lingenfelter offers a rebuilt factory unit for about $300 with exchange. Not 100% sure on price would have to check.

ARE offers some more options - they have a Stage 1,2 & 3 kits out there depending on how for you want to go and how much you want to spend.

will be running track pads from the get-go, and probably replace the rotors with slotted after the stock ones go, are the stock brakes with track pads adequate? Can anyone compare them to the turbo brakes or 997 non-PCCB?
I used a set of track pads with the stock rotors and calipers. They worked very well until I started to get what felt like brake fad. I am more convinced that it was due to the fluid getting hot than it was the rotors/pads. I upgraded to 6 piston/slotted rotor brembos with stainless steel lines and better fluid for the track and the car is amazing. I have not driving a Porsche with PCCB so I can not compare. Would be interested to hear if anyone has switch pads, lines and fluid and kept stock rotors and pads and what their impressions are.

idea is to keep the car as close to stock in terms of performance to get the most out of it before modding anything. Racing seats and harness bar+harnesses will probably be put in sooner rather than later, but everything else he would like to keep stock, except for the pads, will it be on par with a turbo around the track?
A stock Z06 is on par with a turbo. The car needs better seats and brakes to make it a serious track though.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:39 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
Reading a bit more online regarding the Z06 it seems that alot of people with the '08 are complaining about failing transmissions specifically 2nd and 5th gears.

06 has had a few other problems like the g-loads in cornering leading to destroyed engines.

Looks like the 07s are the only ones that are more or less in shape although I believe they use the same transmission as the 08s.

Should he be worried about the transmission issue with the 07?

Old 12-02-2008, 03:46 PM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
I think the trannies in '07 are fine. The dry sump system is the weak link when it comes to tracking.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:51 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
Looks like 07 is the year to go for. A car with 10K miles is still relatively new and I figure we can test drive it before getting it and if we hear any sounds in 2nd or 5th gear just pass on it. By 10K miles if its had issues they should have appeared I imagine.

The dry sump is the same between the different model years ? 06, 07, 08?

Old 12-03-2008, 05:07 PM
OKcruising is infamous around these parts
Why not a C5 chassis that can be built up?

And for your question, the 09+ have the 10.5qt tank. Else the same.

Last edited by OKcruising; 12-03-2008 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:15 PM
z06Drew has a spectacular aura aboutz06Drew has a spectacular aura about
07's are the ones with the self imploding rocker arms. no year is perfect and any car needs a few tweeks to make it a serious track car.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by z06Drew
07's are the ones with the self imploding rocker arms. no year is perfect and any car needs a few tweeks to make it a serious track car.
Exactly - I had a rocker arm failure on my '07. There seems to be something or another with all of the years.

If you are planning on it being mainly a track car with little or no street use I would go with a low mile '06 because if the initial cost to buy and have fun. I originally bought my '07 with the intentions of it being a street car but I was soon hooked on the road course and have started the slippery slope of track mods and power mods. I would have bought a used '06 for far less money and then started the conversion to a track car.

z06Drew - Good choice on the color of your Z

Last edited by AtomicZ; 12-03-2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Why not look at a C5 Z06? They might be a little down on power next to the C6 Z06, but you can buy one a lot cheaper and do a coil-over suspension for less money than the C6Z.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:07 AM
empunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of light
are there a lot of 08's having tranny issues? mine has been flawless so far, but only about 4k miles on the odometer.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:50 PM
dak125 is infamous around these parts
Here is a 2007 for $49k with 6,000 miles.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Corvette-Z06-Carfax-Certified-Navigation-Two-Tone-Leather-Chrome_W0QQitemZ260319578312QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_ Cars_Trucks?hash=item260319578312&_trksid=p3911.c0 .m14&_trkparms=72%3A64%7C66%3A1%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1 %7C240%3A1318

The prices have DROPPED in the past two months. This seems like the sweet spot for 2007's. Do it!

EDIT: And this very idea is something I've considered. Based upon the research I've done I would change the driver's seat, suspension (KWV3 coilovers in particular), oil pump, and track pads.

Last edited by dak125; 12-04-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:42 PM
SINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by CorvZ061
Why not look at a C5 Z06? They might be a little down on power next to the C6 Z06, but you can buy one a lot cheaper and do a coil-over suspension for less money than the C6Z.
I was just gonna say that. You can get a nice one for less then 30K and many say they are easier and more fun to drive then the C6 Z's. Buy a nice one for say 28K and toss 5K in mods at it and you will have a monster! I'm actually very close to selling the Camaro for one.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:47 PM
We haven't looked into the C5 Z06s because we're not very familiar with Corvettes, but I'll start looking into them.

The main reason to go with the C6 was that there has been a considerable price drop and to get a car that with a few mods is on par with a 997TT for $50K sounds pretty good. Not to mention suspension mods are easy to do but we would rather avoid doing any serious engine mods for a while and with 505hp thats definitely a car he can grow into for a while.

We've been looking at some used BMWs and Porsches and all of those seems to always have a lot more miles than Corvettes, I didnt realize how many low mileage Corvettes there are out there. You can pick up an 07 with 10K or less miles for $49K with some shopping.

Most likely waiting a bit longer also works in our favor.

So far it looks like we would need to do the dry sump to be safe, track pads, and we should be set for a while until he gets used to the additional power over the E46M3 and then move on to suspension mods.

Only concern is getting a race seat in there as he is a big guy and it doesnt look like the cabin has that much space to begin with, though he fits comfortably into the stock seats, but they certainly wont hold you while cornering.

And this will be a 95% track car, and 5% driving to and from the track

Old 12-04-2008, 08:44 PM
dak125 is infamous around these parts

We've been looking at some used BMWs and Porsches and all of those seems to always have a lot more miles than Corvettes, I didnt realize how many low mileage Corvettes there are out there. You can pick up an 07 with 10K or less miles for $49K with some shopping.
Refer to my above post. Good luck.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:11 PM
The 405 hp of the C5 Z isn't exactly slow. and the LS6 have been proven to be near bullet proof, well, more so than the LS7 of the C6Z. I would jump on a C5Z before I would a C6 Z to be honest with you, cheaper, better looking body, have heard rumors of them weighing about the same as a C6Z, not sure about that though. I don't know about you, but I think I would rather spend about 28k for a C5Z than 50k for a C6Z.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Z06 as a track car?