American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

Z06 vs Cayman

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 11:04 PM
INtreX is infamous around these parts
Z06 vs Cayman

So I'm looking to buy a new toy.

I looked around and have been reading up on specifically 2 cars the Z06 and the Cayman and I can't seem to make up my mind. money is not the issue what I'm really talking about is performance on a track. I have heard and maybe it is a far fetched that the Cayman S is a better track car then a GT3. I have heard the same about the Z06.

So Z06 drivers I need your help. Please tell me a little about owning a Z06. The good the bad and the ugly.

If you could also post some pics I would appreciate.

Thanks for the help.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:10 PM
SINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by INtreX
So I'm looking to buy a new toy.

I looked around and have been reading up on specifically 2 cars the Z06 and the Cayman and I can't seem to make up my mind. money is not the issue what I'm really talking about is performance on a track. I have heard and maybe it is a far fetched that the Cayman S is a better track car then a GT3. I have heard the same about the Z06.

So Z06 drivers I need your help. Please tell me a little about owning a Z06. The good the bad and the ugly.

If you could also post some pics I would appreciate.

Thanks for the help.
C5 or C6 ZO6? Either way, the Cayman just ins't gonna have the torque of those. They are two very different cars. What is a used Cayman going for now?

Old 12-19-2008, 06:33 AM
IamRobG is infamous around these parts
I was in a similar situation except it was a 996 turbo and the z06. I got the z06...so much power and torque i love fighting to keep my car straight on a daily basis. Plus the big V8 sound and getting 26MPG at 75mph. Porsche's ride better but the Z06 is just an overall beast. Seats are comfortable enough for a trip but for a lot of track use you'll find yourself sliding a little bit. It comes to this...do you want pure adrenaline speed or do you want comfort and quickness

Old 12-19-2008, 07:40 AM
Nine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud of
A Cayman isn't even comparable to the C6 Z06. Might want to step up to a 911 if you want something more comparable.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:02 AM
HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !
I agree.

Cayman handles great - but is not in the same performance category as a Z06.

Couldn't be a better time to buy a Z06 - you can find them at $12K off MSRP. Insanity.

Here's a couple of pics of mine:

Last edited by HIRISC; 12-19-2008 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:29 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Nothing beats the sound of good ol' pushrod V8 to me.

And, although opinions may vary on this, if I had the chance to help out GM right now, I would.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 12-19-2008, 10:07 AM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Z06 - I track mine and LOVE it.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
I've owned both and without hesitation will tell you the Z06. Obviously, it does not have the fit and finish of a Porsche but it is wicked fun. On a short technical track the CaymanS will be somewhat "in the ballgame" but will still lose by a noticable margin. On a longer track with nice long straights, the CaymanS will be left for dead. You cannot beat what the Z06 gives you for the price. My biggest complaint about the CaymanS was the tq/hp. It handles like a slotcar though. The Z06 handles as well as the CaymanS and is worlds faster. Actually, I think the Z06 is a more comfortable car for weekend or everyday driving than the Porsche...it might be the narrow c0ckpit in the CaymanS??? I always felt a bit closed in.

You will have fun with either car..........and even more so now because you can get them a helluva lot cheaper than what I paid in 2006 and 2007.

Last edited by amerlemans; 12-29-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:19 PM
Banned
8speed is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Nine Ball
A Cayman isn't even comparable to the C6 Z06. Might want to step up to a 911 if you want something more comparable.
I'm not so sure about that one, as the Cayman S and 911 are very close in terms of track performance......isn't that what the OP is looking for? Top Gear actually has the Cayman S and 911 S clocked the same:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/powerlaps.shtml

I agree that the Z06 is a beast, and perhaps the best sports car for the price but the ride is harsh, the interior is downright terrible IMO (typical GM) and there is nothing involving as a driver or exclusive about owning one as you will see them every day on the freeway driven by hairy chested, gold chain wearing dirty old men.......J/K........but heck, track tune the suspension even more and you've got yourself a monster no doubt!

You also might consider the Lotus Exige S 240, or a new M3? Same price range and a more refined and all-around track/street car IMO.

One note for the GT-R fanboys.......look how Top Gear got the Z06 only 2 1/2 seconds slower than Godzilla the "Greatest Production Car Ever"........and we all know how things turned out from the street (see below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjmyt52-c8c

Last edited by 8speed; 12-29-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:28 PM
Just a boxster?
JP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond repute
I guess you are talking about a C6 ZO6. If I am right the Cayman S will be easier to drive faster. The mid engine design and refinement really shows up especially on a tight track. The ZO6 will be much faster in a straight line and as great of a car as it is it will not be as balanced. It will really be up to the driver what they would rather have on the track. Now if you are talking about a C5 Z then the Cayman S hands down except at a drag strip and any 0-60 or 60-130 runs.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:50 PM
Banned
I know subjective with different drivers, but interesting video nonetheless:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC1vAT-zEbo

Old 12-30-2008, 04:49 AM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JP-S-St.Louis
I guess you are talking about a C6 ZO6. If I am right the Cayman S will be easier to drive faster. The mid engine design and refinement really shows up especially on a tight track. The ZO6 will be much faster in a straight line and as great of a car as it is it will not be as balanced. It will really be up to the driver what they would rather have on the track. Now if you are talking about a C5 Z then the Cayman S hands down except at a drag strip and any 0-60 or 60-130 runs.
I don't care what track you are on --- with equal drivers a stock CaymanS will not beat a C6Z06 on any of them and I'd be surprised if it was even close.

I think the CaymanS is a fine car and is the best balanced, and handling car I have ever been in or owned. It is severely underpowered though. The low end torque is pretty much a joke.

I agree, the CaymanS is easier to drive.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:57 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by 8speed
I'm not so sure about that one, as the Cayman S and 911 are very close in terms of track performance......isn't that what the OP is looking for? Top Gear actually has the Cayman S and 911 S clocked the same:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/powerlaps.shtml

I agree that the Z06 is a beast, and perhaps the best sports car for the price but the ride is harsh, the interior is downright terrible IMO (typical GM) and there is nothing involving as a driver or exclusive about owning one as you will see them every day on the freeway driven by hairy chested, gold chain wearing dirty old men.......J/K........but heck, track tune the suspension even more and you've got yourself a monster no doubt!

You also might consider the Lotus Exige S 240, or a new M3? Same price range and a more refined and all-around track/street car IMO.

One note for the GT-R fanboys.......look how Top Gear got the Z06 only 2 1/2 seconds slower than Godzilla the "Greatest Production Car Ever"........and we all know how things turned out from the street (see below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjmyt52-c8c
The Z06 ride is harsh? Have you driven one for a period of time? The car is more comfortable to drive for a two hour stint than the CaymanS.....plus it will get 25 mpg from a 7 litre 505 HP engine. That still amazes me.

I agree, the interior while improved greatly over previous models, is still lacking.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:34 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by amerlemans
The Z06 ride is harsh? Have you driven one for a period of time? The car is more comfortable to drive for a two hour stint than the CaymanS.....plus it will get 25 mpg from a 7 litre 505 HP engine. That still amazes me.

I agree, the interior while improved greatly over previous models, is still lacking.

It's all about gearing.....you know that the Z06 can go from 0-150 in one gear? Yep, starting out in 4th gear just flooring it all the way through. That is awesome.

In regards to the harsh ride, the Z06 is a high performance sports car and is built to handle accordingly.......my ride in a Z06 last year rattled my fillings almost as bad as my modified STI...so you can't possibly think the car rides like a cadillac?

And you love the Z06 so much you sold yours and bought a a BMW 335???? How's that working out

Old 12-30-2008, 02:47 PM
JROW is infamous around these parts
Apples to oranges. Go with the z tho.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Z06 vs Cayman