American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

G8 Best Bang For The Price???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 06:17 PM
SINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura about
That sure would make a nice 12 second daily driver....

Old 01-03-2009, 07:35 PM
alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !
The real comparison, imo, is between the G8 GXP and the Caddy CTS-V. For me, it'd be hard to justify the cost of the $25K price difference between the GXP and CTS-V when both cars share the same suspension and brakes, not to mention wheels. I'm sure the CTS-V is a nicer car, not to mention being faster, but you just can't argue the value of the GXP. Just like the CTS-V is a 4-door ZR1, the GXP is a 4-door base Vette, but for less money.

While the German cars (or in 8Speed's case, Japanese) have a certain level of brand cache associated with them, you pay a hefty toll to get into the "club".

Old 01-03-2009, 10:35 PM
EM5PWR has a reputation beyond reputeEM5PWR has a reputation beyond reputeEM5PWR has a reputation beyond reputeEM5PWR has a reputation beyond reputeEM5PWR has a reputation beyond reputeEM5PWR has a reputation beyond reputeEM5PWR has a reputation beyond reputeEM5PWR has a reputation beyond reputeEM5PWR has a reputation beyond reputeEM5PWR has a reputation beyond reputeEM5PWR has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by alzilla300
The real comparison, imo, is between the G8 GXP and the Caddy CTS-V. For me, it'd be hard to justify the cost of the $25K price difference between the GXP and CTS-V when both cars share the same suspension and brakes, not to mention wheels. I'm sure the CTS-V is a nicer car, not to mention being faster, but you just can't argue the value of the GXP. Just like the CTS-V is a 4-door ZR1, the GXP is a 4-door base Vette, but for less money.

While the German cars (or in 8Speed's case, Japanese) have a certain level of brand cache associated with them, you pay a hefty toll to get into the "club".
The GXP doesn't have magnetic suspension..

Old 01-06-2009, 04:22 PM
2bscrewed is infamous around these parts
I have a local friend with a G8 GT. He has headers, cold air, and tune. His second time at the track he ran a 12.5. I read that GM got a lot of tech from an tech share program with BMW for these cars as well.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:35 PM
TTony is infamous around these partsTTony is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by alzilla300

IMO, the GXP more closely resembles the 1st gen CTS-V. Both are 4 door coupes, tuned on the nurbergring, using an NA Corvette motor making 400-415hp. They have roughly the same dimensions but the Pontiac nameplate is $10-$15k lower cost than the 1st gen CTS-V.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:49 AM
Nine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud of
G8 has a stronger rearend than the previous gen CTS-V. The 2010 Camaro will get the same rearend as the G8. Something to consider if you buy a used 1st gen CTS-V.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Just a boxster?
JP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond repute
Great info in this thread....after it got going! That 8speed guy is a JA. I went to go look at the GXP 2 months ago and they were not out yet. I stand by what I have been saying that GM is making their best cars ever.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:41 AM
cohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud of
the pictures of the actual car look great. one of the things i don't like about the cts-v is the 'bling factor' in the styling...it's just not for me. the gxp styling is much more subdued which i like, and which is also one of the reasons why i still cling to my e39 m5....i may wander over to a pontiac dealer (i have to figure out where one is!!) to check it out. on the value proposition, one thing to consider is that with the german car prices collapsing the gxp is not quite the value it was 6 months ago. when you can get a low mileage 07 m5 for $50k or rs4 in the $40's, this car at $40k even new isn't amazing...still a good deal, but not as amazing a deal as when the germans were 20% higher..

Old 01-07-2009, 03:32 PM
One big thing to note is pricing. The 350+hp G8 GT's (only available in an auto tranny) are being had for 20% under list price in the current market. They are selling in the $27k range with list in the $35k range. We can only hope the GXP does the same thing. As for the Pontiac haters (we know 1 on this thread), the G8 is actually designed by Holden in Australia which is why it is so "different" than other Pontiacs, especially on the interior materials, fit & finish.

GMAC also just brought back the 0% financing.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by Nine Ball
G8 has a stronger rearend than the previous gen CTS-V. The 2010 Camaro will get the same rearend as the G8. Something to consider if you buy a used 1st gen CTS-V.
Yep, the 1st gen CTS-V rearend even gave out on stock powered cars. It became a real issue on cars with superchargers or head/cam packages. In addition to the weak rear ends, the CTS-V's have bad wheel hop issues.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:41 PM
cohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud of
funny stuff....so i looked at my local craigslist today and found a local dealer with a new gxp in stock. they are asking $46.6k for it and say it's the only one within three states! i emailed the guy and told him it sounded like he was about $10k too high, and i got about three emails back asking when i was coming in to take a look at it...from what i saw on the g8 board i think there is $2500 in incentives on the car, not sure if it also qualifies for 0% financing. looks good though...

Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2009, 02:00 PM
it gets better...what a jerk this salesman is...

i asked if i could test drive the car they had (a reasonable request, and if the answer was no due to it being the first one he could always offer to let me drive a regular g8 gt) and this is the response i got...

FIRST YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THAT ASKING PRICE IS 56K+ AND THE ONE I'M OFFERING IS FIRM WITCH IS 10K BELOW THAT, UNLESS YOU ARE READY TO PAY THAT WE ARE BOTH WASTING OUR TIME

this is one dealership that can go under as far as i am concerned.....this is dublin gmc/buick/pontiac by the way..

Old 01-08-2009, 03:30 PM
BAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of light
LOL, that car will sit on the lot and rot. Some of these dealers kill me. I'm sure they are worse out there in SanFran...

Old 01-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by cohenfive
i asked if i could test drive the car they had (a reasonable request, and if the answer was no due to it being the first one he could always offer to let me drive a regular g8 gt) and this is the response i got...

FIRST YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THAT ASKING PRICE IS 56K+ AND THE ONE I'M OFFERING IS FIRM WITCH IS 10K BELOW THAT, UNLESS YOU ARE READY TO PAY THAT WE ARE BOTH WASTING OUR TIME

this is one dealership that can go under as far as i am concerned.....this is dublin gmc/buick/pontiac by the way..
What an idiot. You should write back...

CALL ME WHEN THE PRICE IS $5K UNDER MSRP, "WITCH" SHOULD BE IN MARCH.

On the G8 board, they are tracking where all the cars are going. You can pick out the type you want and they will find where it is going. The first 888 G8 GT's received some special badging and most were sold at or just above MSRP. Now they are in the mid $20k's less than a year later.

I had a similar situation happen when I bought my IS350 within a month of them being released. Local dealer would not come off of MSRP + a $2k dealer markup. I bought from a dealer in Miami and had the car shipped to me. Ended up getting it $3k under MSRP + $400 delivery fee. Then the d*mn local dealer changed out the Lexus license plate from "Lexus Palm Beach" to "Lexus Charleston" when I took it in for the free 1st oil change. @$$holes.