American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

Mustang GT500 vs. Dodge Challenger SRT-8 vs. Chevy Camaro

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
Mustang GT500 vs. Dodge Challenger SRT-8 vs. Chevy Camaro

Just starting the process - Looking to buy a car and mod it for going fast in a straight line - these three seem like the best candidates - about $40K-50K for the car and then upgrade.

Thoughts?

Old 03-14-2009, 09:16 PM
evoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to beholdevoviiiyou is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Ken
Just starting the process - Looking to buy a car and mod it for going fast in a straight line - these three seem like the best candidates - about $40K-50K for the car and then upgrade.

Thoughts?
Used C6 Z06 or 996TT...none of the ones you listed in the $40-$50 range.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:42 PM
SINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura about
The best bet there is the Camaro SS, should be less then 40K. And IMO the best looking.
Or as said, buy a used ZO6.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:45 AM
richtor is infamous around these parts
i would purchase the 10 gt500(mid 10's at 130+ with very little work). one guy ordered one for $98 over list. the deals are out there!

Old 03-15-2009, 12:46 PM
AJ_AZ is infamous around these parts
saleen extreme all the way. better looking and faster.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:46 PM
BAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of light
I would say the stang or Camaro. Looks wise, the Challenger looks the best to me when modded. Performance wise the aftermarket isn't on par with the Ford/Chevy.

Mustang is due for an update appearance wise. Which would stray me away from buying one now.

Which leaves the SS, which will look sharp once the appearance parts hit the streets (and they will fast). Performance wise, the LS3 WILL make over 500rwhp with a heads and cam setup. Plus the TR6060 trans will take a beating.

So that right there is your answer.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:24 AM
Dino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really nice
I'd say to go with the Camaro SS. I like the Challenger but think it's a little too big.

But a used Z06 is also a good idea like someone else mentioned.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:48 PM
Screamin911 has a spectacular aura aboutScreamin911 has a spectacular aura about
I've heard rumors that Chevy is no longer going to make the SS model. Anyone else heard this?

You can pick up a C6 Z06 for mid $40s with low miles, that's what I would do!

Old 03-19-2009, 11:07 PM
snakebite52 is infamous around these parts
gt500 for sure. the power those make so easy. there sick. pully and some bolt ons and your set. the srt 8 motor doesnt have a huge after market (from what ive seen), and its auto. not cool

Old 03-20-2009, 07:53 AM
Memphis is a splendid one to beholdMemphis is a splendid one to beholdMemphis is a splendid one to beholdMemphis is a splendid one to beholdMemphis is a splendid one to beholdMemphis is a splendid one to beholdMemphis is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Screamin911
I've heard rumors that Chevy is no longer going to make the SS model. Anyone else heard this?

Nope its being made. To the OP, what are your goals for the car?

Old 03-20-2009, 10:21 AM
SINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Screamin911

SS is not going anywhere, FUTURE ones might not come unless things get better.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by snakebite52
gt500 for sure. the power those make so easy. there sick. pully and some bolt ons and your set. the srt 8 motor doesnt have a huge after market (from what ive seen), and its auto. not cool
You can get a manual now.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:19 PM
2bscrewed is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Ken
Looking to buy a car and mod it for going fast in a straight line - ?
For a straight line, I don't see how you can beat the Shelby. Headers and a KB Mammoth swap puts you at mid 700's at the tires. It's already got a beefy solid axle and a tough 6060.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:48 PM
Falken is infamous around these parts
Since your going to Mod it up anyways...and thus probably void any powertrain warranties that a new car might come with my vote for going fast in any line you desire for $40-50K is....a used Viper!

You can pick up anything you want from a GTS to a SRT-10 in that price range, there very reliable, even with HUGE power upgrades. and they make HUGE power cheaper than anything i know...a supercharger can easily get you 600-800+hp, Twin turbo's for a little more money and the skies the limit 800-1800hp are attainable. Stock they run 12's, Blown they run 11's, 10's, 9's, 8's, 7's!!! whatever you want to run a viper can do it. its king of the highway role...and if you set it up right they kick *** on a road coarse (two lemans championships can attest to that).

Plus they look amazing and turn head/stop traffic like nothing else mentioned so far...and a huge attraction for me was that Dodge only makes around 1500 of them a year...which is nothing compared to mustang/vette/porsche/challenger/future camaro production. so you wont see one in every parking lot/gas station you go to.

But of course i'm biased some people love them...others hate them...but really thats part of there charm. I'm not saying there the best car in the world or anything...but for $40-50K i cant think of anything better.

Falken

Old 03-20-2009, 05:17 PM
snakebite52 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Falken
Since your going to Mod it up anyways...and thus probably void any powertrain warranties that a new car might come with my vote for going fast in any line you desire for $40-50K is....a used Viper!

You can pick up anything you want from a GTS to a SRT-10 in that price range, there very reliable, even with HUGE power upgrades. and they make HUGE power cheaper than anything i know...a supercharger can easily get you 600-800+hp, Twin turbo's for a little more money and the skies the limit 800-1800hp are attainable. Stock they run 12's, Blown they run 11's, 10's, 9's, 8's, 7's!!! whatever you want to run a viper can do it. its king of the highway role...and if you set it up right they kick *** on a road coarse (two lemans championships can attest to that).

Plus they look amazing and turn head/stop traffic like nothing else mentioned so far...and a huge attraction for me was that Dodge only makes around 1500 of them a year...which is nothing compared to mustang/vette/porsche/challenger/future camaro production. so you wont see one in every parking lot/gas station you go to.

But of course i'm biased some people love them...others hate them...but really thats part of there charm. I'm not saying there the best car in the world or anything...but for $40-50K i cant think of anything better.

Falken
good point

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Mustang GT500 vs. Dodge Challenger SRT-8 vs. Chevy Camaro