American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

I need some feedback about SVT Cobras

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 09:55 AM
JROW is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SINISTR ZO6
Yeah a SVT Cobra has nothing to do with a thread titled "SVT Cobra"....

Blower or not, it's same basic engine and same car.
You're way off. No surprise tho.

Originally Posted by Poisoned Pony
'96-'99 and '01 Cobra's had a aluminum block based 4.6 that was filled with the forged crank, cast cracked-cap rods and cast pistons rated for 9.85:1 compression. The IRS on the '99 and '01 Cobra's featured 28 spline halfshafts as well.

The '03/'04 is a different animal. Their block is an iron piece featuring the same forged crank, forged rods sourced from Manley, forged pistons rated for 8.5:1 compression. Their IRS is considered one of the better versions with beefier bushings and 31 spline halfshafts.
Originally Posted by 2bscrewed
The only similarities between a 99-01 and an 03-04 is the shape of the sheet metal and the displacement of the engine. They have different blocks, rods, pistons, heads, cams, power adder, transmission, irs, wheels tires, seats, and a ton of other little things.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:16 AM
SINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by JROW
You're way off. No surprise tho.

You'd probably say a C5 Z is vastly different then a regular C5 too?

Having different components and little things added and taken away does not make a totally different car then the one it's based on. Sorry, but if the platform, structure, and layout are the same, they are the same cars.

Different, yes, that different no. There is a difference. That's like saying a convertible is a totally different car because more then 10% of the components are different....

Last edited by SINISTR; 04-08-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:27 AM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 11Past9
It's best that you don't waste your time on me, considering the more you say the more fuel and evidence I have on you and the case of "SINISTR ZO6 is an idiot and does not know what he's talking about".
Don't threaten me, learn to take it when someone tells you that you are friggen wrong. I do not care if I get respect from people like you or not, respect means nothing from someone who doesn't have a clue. You tried to compare the 1999 SVT Cobra to an 03-04 essentially saying it was garbage because yours had three RECALLS.

Would you like the list of amazing cars that had RECALLS?! Would you like me to pull them up? C5 Corvettes, C6, BMW M3's, Audi's, PORSCHES even! Whoopie!

The 2003-2004 SVT Cobra is reliable, strong, fast, it looks and sounds great and can be made to handle as well as a Corvette with the right touch and nothing matches its power per dollar ratio.

/ fread
11past9, You are new here... I'll assume you come from other forums where this sort of personal attack it tolerated but on the 6 we are all here to be friends and discuss cars. Understand that the OP posted looking for opinions on the Mustang from both sides, just because someone has a different opinion from your own doesn't leave them open to ridicule. Play nice or find a different place to post.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Banned
11Past9 is infamous around these parts11Past9 is infamous around these parts11Past9 is infamous around these parts
I forgot, most people in this country would rather be submissive that defend what they feel or what the truth is. Is this what you call playing nice?

Old 04-08-2009, 10:36 AM
SINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by iJeremy
11past9, You are new here... I'll assume you come from other forums where this sort of personal attack it tolerated but on the 6 we are all here to be friends and discuss cars. Understand that the OP posted looking for opinions on the Mustang from both sides, just because someone has a different opinion from your own doesn't leave them open to ridicule. Play nice or find a different place to post.
I tried explaining this to him. He didn't seem to care.

As you said, I was speaking from personal experience, the OP might WANT to hear both sides. And I never once said anything really negative about the '03-'04 Cobras.

We will all disagree from time to time, we know that. It's how you handle it that shows what you're made of.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:38 AM
I forgot, most people in this country would rather be submissive that defend what they feel or what the truth is. Is this what you call playing nice?
Defending yourself and what you do are two different things, I guess you don't see that? That is where the issue lies. I don't have a problem with you, but as you've been told, you need to chill out. Or they will boot you. Let's just move on man....

Old 04-08-2009, 12:37 PM
2bscrewed is infamous around these parts

Having different components and little things added and taken away does not make a totally different car then the one it's based on. Sorry, but if the platform, structure, and layout are the same, they are the same cars.

Different, yes, that different no. There is a difference. That's like saying a convertible is a totally different car because more then 10% of the components are different....
Other than the sheet metal, what is the same from a 99 to an 03-04?

Old 04-09-2009, 03:20 PM
JROW is infamous around these parts

Dude, just stop. You sound completely ignorant. You would probably say a c6 coupe and zr-1 are the same car too huh? Not much of a difference right? lol

A c5 z is pretty different. Yes. Different engines, different suspensions, different brakes. Not as different as a 03 cobra and a 99 cobra. Look, don't get your feelings hurt because you made a comment that was off. You just look dumb now trying to make up for it.

You're done man, stop.

Last edited by JROW; 04-09-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Sl33p3rS4 is infamous around these parts
-They are very reliable/strong aside from dumb things

-Fit and finish will always be Ford

-500whp with bolt ons

-IRS makes the strip a bit difficult with wheel hop and broken axles

-Your left leg will be significantly bigger after driving one for a month

-You will eat through tires like your diet requires them (making bolt on power in this car forces you to run drag radials to efficiently put any power down below 3rd gear... no I am not even talking about for track use.

-13-14mpg if you don't drive like grandma and actually have some modifications

-SVTperformance.com is your friend, I suggest you buy one from there and save some money

-They are BAMF cars

/ end fread

OP, this post I've quoted pretty much covers it.

I picked up my '03 Cobra a little over a month ago. Absolutely love it so far.

11/2002 and older build dates had the head tick issue. Most/All will have been fixed under warranty. Mine was built in 12/2002 and it has the updated heads with no tick issues at all.

SVTPerformance will be your friend. I've learned a ton from doing searches on that site.

With basic intake/exhaust boltons and a 2.76 pulley with idlers you can make 470whp/480wtq with a good tune. Ported Eaton can clear 500whp. KB or Whipple can get you over the 600whp mark.

An IRS brace is a must. Billetflow makes a good one that only costs $150. Don't worry about the halfshafts unless you plan to do a lot of dig racing with really sticky tires.

The throw out bearings are garbage on all Fords, and with the clutches being cable driven, it is very difficult to get an upgraded clutch into the proper setup. I replaced my TOB after a couple weeks of owning the car. If you buy the car and hear a chirp noise when parked and without the clutch pedal in, then it's time for a TOB. While you're in there you might as well upgrade to the 26 spline input shaft, do a new clutch (I recommend the Spec 3+), and replace the TOB retainer sleeve.

My first tank of gas I was very boost happy. 13.8 mpg was acheived. Keep your foot out of it and you can do much better. If you run around listening to the blower everywhere you go then you'll get terrible mpg's.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by JROW
Dude, just stop. You sound completely ignorant. You would probably say a c6 coupe and zr-1 are the same car too huh? Not much of a difference right? lol

A c5 z is pretty different. Yes. Different engines, different suspensions, different brakes. Not as different as a 03 cobra and a 99 cobra. Look, don't get your feelings hurt because you made a comment that was off. You just look dumb now trying to make up for it.

You're done man, stop.
Well if you think the '03 Cobra is a totally different car then a '99 your the ones whose ignorant. Not to mention you most likey haven't owned either....

Bottom line, the OP asked for opinions and feedback. I gave it. Common issues could arrise from any year, the platforms are the same. Simple as that. I'm giving my opinion, which I'm entitled to.

Last edited by SINISTR; 04-09-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:24 PM
10th03cobra is my hero!!!
hj16 is infamous around these parts
Yeah a SVT Cobra has nothing to do with a thread titled "SVT Cobra"....

Blower or not, it's same basic engine and same car.
But if you actually read the first line of his Thread you would see that he was talking about a 04 SVT Cobra.

Blower or not, they are very different cars. Different block, heads, cams, lower intake, MAF, computer, pistons, crank, rods, clutch, flywheel, transmission, IRS, suspension... I can go on here, but you get the point.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Bimmeristic
Greetings!!! I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a 04 SVT Cobra. If the miles aren't too high, and it passes the first round of inspections, then I may go for it if I can get a loan from my Credit Union. I need to one of you fine folks out there in Speed Demon Land to give me some feedback whether good or bad about these toys. So don't be shy!!!!
Ive had mine for a little over 6 years and haven't had a single issue, and extremely reliable car if taken care of. Makes great power on the cheap, can run bottom 11s with $1000 and the right driver, extremely durable if you avoid wheel hop, can get good gas mileage (I routinely see 22-23mpg highway) ...if you stay out of it. They can also be had for dirt cheap right now... you can find built 600+rwhp cars for under 25K... and a few extremely overdone cars for under 30K.

ModularFords.com and the search button are your best friends right now

Good luck

Old 04-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Almo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by hj16
Ive had mine for a little over 6 years and haven't had a single issue, and extremely reliable car if taken care of. Makes great power on the cheap, can run bottom 11s with $1000 and the right driver, extremely durable if you avoid wheel hop, can get good gas mileage (I routinely see 22-23mpg highway) ...if you stay out of it. They can also be had for dirt cheap right now... you can find built 600+rwhp cars for under 25K... and a few extremely overdone cars for under 30K.

ModularFords.com and the search button are your best friends right now

Good luck
Intake, catback, pulley, tune and a tire costs a bit more than $1000 but they have been known to go 11.20s. More like $2500 to $3000 if one choses the upper only option. Unless you are on a used purchase diet.

If not, I did something very wrong... My 03 Non-Pullied, Non-Ported Eaton Cobra went 11.01 at 126 but I had between $3K and $4K in it.

Like your sig... too funny!

Old 04-10-2009, 12:58 AM
Originally Posted by Almo
Intake, catback, pulley, tune and a tire costs a bit more than $1000 but they have been known to go 11.20s. More like $2500 to $3000 if one choses the upper only option. Unless you are on a used purchase diet.

If not, I did something very wrong... My 03 Non-Pullied, Non-Ported Eaton Cobra went 11.01 at 126 but I had between $3K and $4K in it.

Like your sig... too funny!
Its doable for a grand... 2.76 by itself, belt, welded in mufflers, cats cut out, drop in 9", tune, and a deal on some 275 MTs. And like I said... the "right" driver. aka broke, trey, etc

You went the weight loss way... admirable for sure and damn impressive. I seem to remember you and I getting into it years back on SVTP when you had your GT. When I started seeing thread of a non pullied eaton going 11flat I thought your name rang a bell

Old 04-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Almo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by hj16
Its doable for a grand... 2.76 by itself, belt, welded in mufflers, cats cut out, drop in 9", tune, and a deal on some 275 MTs. And like I said... the "right" driver. aka broke, trey, etc

You went the weight loss way... admirable for sure and damn impressive. I seem to remember you and I getting into it years back on SVTP when you had your GT. When I started seeing thread of a non pullied eaton going 11flat I thought your name rang a bell
Actually, you are right... Richie has went 11:20s with mods like you listed.

LOL, hopefully I didn't rub you the wrong way. If I did, know it's the inter-war site that does that.

Speaking of my GT, I loved that car more than anything I have owned. Was going to be able to spin the thing to 7500 and initial pull before break in put down 650 at 5500 rpms at 18 pounds. At 3200 lbs weight wise... it was going to be a blast... unfortunately I lost a head and it destroyed my combo. Looking back, kind of glad that happened, was planning on upping the boost and make the car even lighter. Might have put me in my grave if I had ever been able to finish it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I need some feedback about SVT Cobras