American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

I need some feedback about SVT Cobras

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Bimmeristic has a spectacular aura aboutBimmeristic has a spectacular aura about
I need some feedback about SVT Cobras

Greetings!!! I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a 04 SVT Cobra. If the miles aren't too high, and it passes the first round of inspections, then I may go for it if I can get a loan from my Credit Union. I need to one of you fine folks out there in Speed Demon Land to give me some feedback whether good or bad about these toys. So don't be shy!!!!

Old 04-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Banned
11Past9 is infamous around these parts11Past9 is infamous around these parts11Past9 is infamous around these parts
-They are very reliable/strong aside from dumb things

-Fit and finish will always be Ford

-500whp with bolt ons

-IRS makes the strip a bit difficult with wheel hop and broken axles

-Your left leg will be significantly bigger after driving one for a month

-You will eat through tires like your diet requires them (making bolt on power in this car forces you to run drag radials to efficiently put any power down below 3rd gear... no I am not even talking about for track use.

-13-14mpg if you don't drive like grandma and actually have some modifications

-SVTperformance.com is your friend, I suggest you buy one from there and save some money

-They are BAMF cars

/ end fread

Old 04-06-2009, 06:20 PM
SINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura about
I had a '99, it was a POS and had three recalls. Will I buy another Ford. NO.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Banned
11Past9 is infamous around these parts11Past9 is infamous around these parts11Past9 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SINISTR ZO6
The 99' is the first year of the Edge Cobra, typical first year issues. The 99' is not even on the same page as the 03-04.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:24 PM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 11Past9

That right there kills it for me... I don't want to sit in a rattle trap everytime I want to go for a ride... I'll sacrifice a little 'straight road' speed for more fun in the bendies and an interior that doesn't make me feel like I should have worked just a little bit harder every time I climb behind the wheel.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Almo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant future
Hands down, best bang for the buck... if you plan on keeping the IRS, go with level 5s. Grab a whipple, few mods, with a decent tune and 600 to the wheels is the norm. Put a good tire on it and you will be set.

Don't be afraid to pick up a fairly low miled 04 that has been modded, pullied and tune.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Almo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant future
The 99' is the first year of the Edge Cobra, typical first year issues. The 99' is not even on the same page as the 03-04.

Not even in the same novel.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:39 AM
JROW is infamous around these parts
This has nothing to do with this thread.

Exactly.

Originally Posted by iJeremy
That right there kills it for me... I don't want to sit in a rattle trap everytime I want to go for a ride... I'll sacrifice a little 'straight road' speed for more fun in the bendies and an interior that doesn't make me feel like I should have worked just a little bit harder every time I climb behind the wheel.
This is also true. However, you can make these cars handle if that's your desire.
Originally Posted by Almo
Hands down, best bang for the buck... if you plan on keeping the IRS, go with level 5s. Grab a whipple, few mods, with a decent tune and 600 to the wheels is the norm. Put a good tire on it and you will be set.

Don't be afraid to pick up a fairly low miled 04 that has been modded, pullied and tune.
Yes. These cars are so mod friendly that it's rediclulous. If you want a pretty reliable high horsepower car for a good price. Here it is. Buy it. However, it is a ford and it's gonna have it's stupid issues/poor build quality. $5-600 bucks gets you to 450whp tho so who cares

You may also want to look into a c5 corvette coupe/z06 as they are a great value now too.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Banned
I actually know of Mustangs that tromp Porsches at the road courses and auto x. They can be made to handle extremely well and they sure have power on their side.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:09 PM
cobra620 is infamous around these parts
I have an 04 with a KB and a lot of other mods. I think the only stock I have left is the wipers. Great car, with about 2-3K is suspension it handles just as good as my 94 Supra TT (Which has full suspension as well). The IRS is no issue at all beyond launches. Get half shafts and an IRS brace and go have fun. I would stay away from 03's as some had head coolant problems that lead to the "tick" problem. Although I have heard that it is only the early built 03's that had the issue. Bang for the buck there is no competition. I have a supra which is more money and make less power, don't get me wrong I love both cars though. If want a nicer, quieter, better built car, then go get one, the ford is not for you. If you want a car with massive mod potential (drivetrain and chassis) and a great price, then the cobra is a slam dunk pick. Go see Tim over at Modular Powerhouse and he will build you more than you can handle, and it will run dead stock reliable. Pay a little more for one that hasn't been abused, or save yourself a lot of money in the long run and get one already done (but where is the fun in that). If you have any questions head over to svtperformance.com as someone said or shoot me a pm, I've owned mine since new and have become pretty knowledgeable about them.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:18 PM
BLAKPIXI is infamous around these parts
-They are very reliable/strong aside from dumb things

-500whp with bolt ons

-IRS makes the strip a bit difficult with wheel hop and broken axles

-Your left leg will be significantly bigger after driving one for a month

-You will eat through tires like your diet requires them (making bolt on power in this car forces you to run drag radials to efficiently put any power down below 3rd gear... no I am not even talking about for track use.

-13-14mpg if you don't drive like grandma and actually have some modifications

-SVTperformance.com is your friend, I suggest you buy one from there and save some money

-They are BAMF cars

/ end fread
exactly

I nearly bought one, but went with an 02' C5 for better track capabilities, a KB on these things and a tune will get you unreal power. About the only thing I can't stand about these cars is that damn whine they make...

Old 04-07-2009, 08:04 PM
SINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by JROW
This has nothing to do with this thread.

Yeah a SVT Cobra has nothing to do with a thread titled "SVT Cobra"....

Blower or not, it's same basic engine and same car.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:47 PM
hemi_fan is infamous around these parts

But its the blower that makes all the difference
03/04 Cobras are amazing cars. If you buy a mustang you have to know what you're getting into, its not going to be the best built or the smoothest ride. Case in point, in 2005 when the S197 was released many members in my club actually complained that the ride was too smooth and firm, and that it had lost the 'mustang feel'. The Terminators in stock form are a pretty fun car, but everyone knows the beauty of a mustang is the customization. The 03/04 is the perfect platform since the engine/internals are extremely tough, it has a much beefier six-speed, and the IRS is a great improvement over the terribly compromised 4-link/solid axle in previous models. Stock they don't handle all that well, but you can get them to turn very well with the various parts that are available. It will never handle like a corvette just from a centre of gravity and weight distribution standpoint, but they can be built to take corners. The interiors in them aren't great but that won't stop you from grinning ear to ear every time you drive it. As for the blower whine, thats one of the best parts of the car

Old 04-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !
Buy an 03' if you are going to buy a Cobra, you can make more power with this year than the others

Christian

Old 04-08-2009, 04:57 AM
Poisoned Pony is infamous around these parts

Sort of true there. While the basic chassis is the same that soldiered on since the mid '70's, there's little differences between the years.

'96-'99 and '01 Cobra's had a aluminum block based 4.6 that was filled with the forged crank, cast cracked-cap rods and cast pistons rated for 9.85:1 compression. The IRS on the '99 and '01 Cobra's featured 28 spline halfshafts as well.

The '03/'04 is a different animal. Their block is an iron piece featuring the same forged crank, forged rods sourced from Manley, forged pistons rated for 8.5:1 compression. Their IRS is considered one of the better versions with beefier bushings and 31 spline halfshafts.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I need some feedback about SVT Cobras