American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

Bad News for Viper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 02:39 PM
mcar00 is a jewel in the roughmcar00 is a jewel in the roughmcar00 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by SINISTR Z06
That's not true, and anyone who wants an Enzo, wouldn't want a ACR. They are actually two very different cars for different customers....
Which other production Ferrari model has lapped the Nring faster than an Enzo? I think the Scuderia may have been competitive with an Enzo around the Ferrari test track but I've never seen a time faster than 7.25 for one. I would say that the two cars are for different uses and not neccessarily different customers. If a guy could afford an Enzo but didn't want to destroy it on the track an ACR would work just fine. I certainly would like to have both in my garage.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:43 PM
snakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to behold
That's not true, and anyone who wants an Enzo, wouldn't want a ACR. They are actually two very different cars for different customers....

You missed my point totally. Thats exactly why Fiat shouldnt ax the Viper they are marketed to two totally different customers so they can coexist. Problem is that Fiat may not like the fact that the no frills ACR is faster than any of its prestige performance cars. I was marely refering to the performance between the two. As for the Enzo not being the fastest of the roadcars Ferrari has released please tell me which model is faster than the Enzo. Not the Scuderia, not the F40, not the F50 so please tell me which streetlegal Ferrari is going to beat the Enzo or ACR...

Old 06-14-2009, 07:05 PM
SINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by snakebitten
You missed my point totally. Thats exactly why Fiat shouldnt ax the Viper they are marketed to two totally different customers so they can coexist. Problem is that Fiat may not like the fact that the no frills ACR is faster than any of its prestige performance cars. I was marely refering to the performance between the two. As for the Enzo not being the fastest of the roadcars Ferrari has released please tell me which model is faster than the Enzo. Not the Scuderia, not the F40, not the F50 so please tell me which streetlegal Ferrari is going to beat the Enzo or ACR...
I didn't miss your point, it's apples to oranges. Comparing a Viper to a Ferrari isn't gonna work. It's not just about numbers. As I'm sure you know. And you said it was the quickest ever built road or TRACK Ferrari, which it's not. Many quicker track based Ferraris.

The Enzo is barely behind on the 'Ring and it was driven by a magazine, not by a factory backed team though. Given more time it might have beaten it's time. But it was run only once. Plus the ACR is a much, much more bare bones car. Not taking any thing away from the ACR, but it's not an Enzo. I don't know anybody who'd take an ACR over and Enzo no matter what it's 'Ring times are. Plus the Enzo beats the ACR is other areas if that matters.

Bottom line is I hope the Viper doesn't go bye bye, it's one of the few American cars that can compete with Europe. Let's see what happens.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:15 PM
mcar00 is a jewel in the roughmcar00 is a jewel in the roughmcar00 is a jewel in the rough
the fastest Ferrari ever built for the road and track
I don't think he was referring to Challenge cars or the FXX.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:46 PM
snakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to behold
I didn't miss your point, it's apples to oranges. Comparing a Viper to a Ferrari isn't gonna work. It's not just about numbers. As I'm sure you know. And you said it was the quickest ever built road or TRACK Ferrari, which it's not. Many quicker track based Ferraris.

The Enzo is barely behind on the 'Ring and it was driven by a magazine, not by a factory backed team though. Given more time it might have beaten it's time. But it was run only once. Plus the ACR is a much, much more bare bones car. Not taking any thing away from the ACR, but it's not an Enzo. I don't know anybody who'd take an ACR over and Enzo no matter what it's 'Ring times are. Plus the Enzo beats the ACR is other areas if that matters.

Bottom line is I hope the Viper doesn't go bye bye, it's one of the few American cars that can compete with Europe. Let's see what happens.

Mcar00 got it. Nice selective reading and counterpoints there Mr. Z06 You continue to miss my point. I never compared the Enzo to the ACR in anything other than performance. That is all that is relavant in this discussion. Fiat will want to keep its marque brand safe from the snake in the one aspect that the Viper can compete with. Performance. Hence the article saying it may ax the Viper because it competes performancewise with the best road and track cars Ferrari makes. Notice I said "road and track" cars NOT "road OR track" like you said I did. One would be a fool to think there arent any faster Ferraris made for the track that would beat an ACR street car.

BTW I know why someone would take an ACR over the Enzo. YOu cant buy one now. The Enzo was only referenced in my post to make a point about the Vipers performance. There goes that performance word again that keeps going over your head. The rest of your responce is common knowledge. Its Fiat that thinks the Viper may compete per article. Im responding to that.

BTW dont let the sn fool you I dont own a Viper. But Im a pragmatic kinda car guy with zero bias. Based on its short stellar history this car needs to stick around. I see we both agree on that point

Last edited by snakebitten; 06-14-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:56 PM
SINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura about
Mcar00 got it. Nice selective reading and counterpoints there Mr. Z06 You continue to miss my point. I never compared the Enzo to the ACR in anything other than performance. That is all that is relavant in this discussion. Fiat will want to keep its marque brand safe from the snake in the one aspect that the Viper can compete with. Performance. Hence the article saying it may ax the Viper because it competes performancewise with the best road and track cars Ferrari makes. Notice I said "road and track" cars NOT "road OR track" like you said I did. One would be a fool to think there arent any faster Ferraris made for the track that would beat an ACR street car.

BTW I know why someone would take an ACR over the Enzo. YOu cant buy one now. The Enzo was only referenced in my post to make a point about the Vipers performance. There goes that performance word again that keeps going over your head. The rest of your responce is common knowledge. Its Fiat that thinks the Viper may compete per article. Im responding to that.

BTW dont let the sn fool you I dont own a Viper. But Im a pragmatic kinda car guy with zero bias. Based on its short stellar history this car needs to stick around. I see we both agree on that point
You seem to just stick to your "point" and ignore the other things I said/everyone knows. But whatever, I guess we can agree to disagree....either way, let's hope the Viper sticks around....

Last edited by SINISTR; 06-14-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:27 AM
airtrackk is a name known to allairtrackk is a name known to allairtrackk is a name known to allairtrackk is a name known to allairtrackk is a name known to allairtrackk is a name known to all
it would be sad indeed if Viper were to be axed
Competition makes everyone better!!!
Also i'm really hoping ZR1 / ZO6 type cars have a future as well with GM .....i read somewhere that the team responsible for ZR1/ZO6 got reassigned for other cars....wonder of that is true?

Old 06-15-2009, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by airtrackk
it would be sad indeed if Viper were to be axed
Competition makes everyone better!!!
Also i'm really hoping ZR1 / ZO6 type cars have a future as well with GM .....i read somewhere that the team responsible for ZR1/ZO6 got reassigned for other cars....wonder of that is true?
It wasn't the Corvette team that got reassigned, it was the GM Performance team. Corvette is safe.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:43 PM
You seem to just stick to your "point" and ignore the other things I said/everyone knows. But whatever, I guess we can agree to disagree....either way, let's hope the Viper sticks around....
Agreed. I think we got caught up in semantics....

On another note I read on another forum that Fiat may still just sell the Viper brand and that Saleen is in the running to pick it up. I realllllly hope so...

Old 06-15-2009, 02:20 PM
airtrackk is a name known to allairtrackk is a name known to allairtrackk is a name known to allairtrackk is a name known to allairtrackk is a name known to allairtrackk is a name known to all
It wasn't the Corvette team that got reassigned, it was the GM Performance team. Corvette is safe.
that's certainly good that vette has a future and here is to hoping that viper will get a buyer so we can continue to see these brands push each other to make even better cars

Old 06-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Looks like there may still be a heartbeat for a little while. From CNN/Money

Chrysler restarts with the Viper

Chrysler will soon be making cars again.

Chrysler Group announced Monday that it is restarting a factory, after shutting down all of its manufacturing for nearly seven weeks following the bankruptcy of Chrysler LLC. Chrysler Group is the new company that emerged last week with most of Chrysler's assets and a new ownership structure.

The first plant to reopen is the one that makes the Dodge Viper sports car.

The Viper has a 600 horsepower V-10 engine and a price tag that starts at about $90,000. The Viper was introduced in the 1999 model year, and only 25,000 have been sold since then.

The Conner Avenue Assembly Plant in Detroit that makes the car employs 115 people.

Chrysler LLC had announced last year that it intended to sell off the Viper brand. The high-performance, 10-cylinder sports car sells in low numbers. Ultimately, Chrysler said it had not received any bids that met its requirements. Chrysler's other plants remain idle.

"At this time, we cannot give exact timing in regards to the start of production at our other manufacturing facilities," Chrysler Group said in a statement.

The Viper brand and the plant that makes the car, the Conner Avenue assembly plant in Detroit, were taken over by the "new" Chrysler that emerged last week from bankruptcy.

The Chrysler Group is owned by a combination of the Italian automaker Fiat, the United States government, the United Auto Workers union's retiree trust and the Canadian and Ontario governments.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:29 PM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
Don't be so quick to kill it off just yet fellas. The Conner Ave plant opened today to start building more '09 orders. And if by some chance Fiat decides to discontinue the Viper, prices will rise slightly then stabilize. YOU WON'T see prices drop. I have been offered some very generous #'s for my '05.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:35 PM
()utlaw is infamous around these parts
Not sure if you guys have heard, but when the Fiat people went to Detroit to see the Chrysler line up of vehicles, Chrysler didn't include a Viper. After going over the products the Fiat people specifically asked "where is the Viper?". The SRT team had to quickly have one cleaned up and rolled out for them to see.

This makes a lot of sense too, because Viper turned a reported 16 million dollar profit last year, and profitable vehicles are a very short list over there. Wrangler and Minivan being the only other two apparently.

If it is a profit center, I can't see them selling it off, they (Fiat) will probably take action to make it even more profitable, and being the owners of Ferrari, they probably know how.