American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

corvette - impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:31 AM
nvno1 is infamous around these parts
I love my 06! What more could want in a sports car? IMHO it's the best looking vette ever. The performance is also amazing. I've had mine for about three years and I'm not even a little bit bored with it. It is such a well balanced car in terms of acceleration, braking and handling. Best car I've ever owned. That said I now have to go for a spirited run.......I love my Z06!

Old 10-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Fubar has a spectacular aura aboutFubar has a spectacular aura about
It's the cheapest "real" sports car you can buy. That combination attracts lots of buyers. From that point you just have to decide how exclusive you want your car to be.

American cars are also fairly inexpensive to modify. That is a plus if you want to start making a track car.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Fastfrank is infamous around these parts
If you can get over seeing yourself coming & going they are a GREAT value. I was going to buy a 996TT (35-40k) & then mod it (15-25k) but for the same price (55-65k) you can have a used c6 zo6 (40-45) & have enough leftover to heavily mod it or buy another car too!

I ended up getting a deal on a HEAVILY modded C5 (700rwhp) for low 20's & looking at a 1000hp Supra as well. So for the same 50-55k I will have both cars

Guess it just depends on what you want to do with the car & where you are happy with performance

Old 10-08-2009, 04:33 PM
roadking is infamous around these parts
I just picked up a used 2008 C6 six speed. For the money, the car is an absolute blast. I have modded it some, audio, lowered, tires, wheels, intake, exhaust. It is fast, handles great, easy mods, reliable. The downside has been coveredin the prior posts, but you see yourself coming, interior is not up to Porsche BMW Audi standards, fit and finish is ok and lastly, no "valet cache". You don't see too many Vettes parked in front of the hot night spots.

I have owned several Porsche products, 993, 997, Boxster and several BMW and MB vehicles. In comparison to the 997, the Vette is raw, brutal and IMO, more fun to drive. I can't see myself getting rid of the car anytime soon. Check out the Z06, it is an awesome auto. Good luck.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:12 PM
BLAKPIXI is infamous around these parts
I love my C5, cheap and fast. Great combination when you want the ultimate bang for your buck.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:42 PM
LS7 Thunder is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gfroman
Seats are very supportive and buttery soft leather - same seats in a Porsche GT3.
They are mounted on the OEM brackets so all the motor/memory still function.
I am careful getting in and out of the seats to preserve the nice new leather look.

Did you also consider Carravagio seats? I'm curious also about the price difference between GT3 seats vs. Carravagio seats.

Thanks,

Old 10-13-2009, 01:56 PM
JFrazier is infamous around these parts
Can't beat it for the money. Can take a lot of punishment, and still keeps ticking with no major servicing. In the end it's still a Chevy and in this case, that's a good thing.

I've got a modded '99 that's closing in on 90K miles and it's still running strong. I've got family with various C5s and C6s and they've all been great.

It'll be an adjustment coming from a Euro sportscar. You learn that doing some stuff is a lot more fun, you just have open up the hooligan in yourself(holeshots and burnouts are great these things lol).

Did I mention the 32mpg I get on the highway?

Last edited by JFrazier; 10-13-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:59 AM
hesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nice
sold my 996TT for a C6Z06.

the two cars are SO different. Z06 is better in so many ways, and worse in so many other ways.

you really have to try the car to see if it suits what you're looking for. i love it really, but it IS more of a hooligan sort of car, and that's not for everyone.

as for the image... well that doesn't mean anything to me here, as there are only two Z06's in this entire country, so that makes it rarer and more exotic than Lamborghinis and Ferraris! never mind Porsche's!

Old 10-20-2009, 12:13 PM
trakstr is infamous around these parts
i have a 02 z06(procharged) now and love it. not a refined car but just raw performance which is all i really need at the end of the day out of a sports car thinking about picking up the 10' GS now

Old 10-20-2009, 03:01 PM
elh0102 is infamous around these parts
I had an '08 ZO6, as well as an '06 997S, and recently bought a low-mileage '05 GT3. I would probably still be driving the ZO6, but the engine failed during a track event due to an oiling issue. The car was totally stock, so the engine was replaced under warranty, no problems. I probably can't add much to the comments already offered. Although the handlling dynamics are different, the ZO6 and GT3 are similar, in that each is a car that requires some commitment to purpose if your goal is to drive it well near the limit. Personally, I find the GT3 more fun to drive, but I would probably post better lap times in the ZO6. The ZO6 is more powerful, easier/cheaper to maintain, better gas mileage in normal driving, more luggage room. The GT3 has better brakes, much better communication from brakes, suspension and steering. The rest is subjective, and will depend on the individual driver's feel for each car.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:48 PM
hesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nice
Originally Posted by elh0102
Although the handlling dynamics are different, the ZO6 and GT3 are similar, in that each is a car that requires some commitment to purpose if your goal is to drive it well near the limit. Personally, I find the GT3 more fun to drive, but I would probably post better lap times in the ZO6. The ZO6 is more powerful, easier/cheaper to maintain, better gas mileage in normal driving, more luggage room. The GT3 has better brakes, much better communication from brakes, suspension and steering. The rest is subjective, and will depend on the individual driver's feel for each car.
spot on.

i drove my 997.1 GT3 back to back with my C6Z the other day. both crazy fun. its a cliche i know, but the GT3 feels like a precision instrument, and the Z06 feels like a hammer (both cars running stock brakes and suspension).

this statement has been used by many reviewers to criticize the 'Vette.

but what's clear to me, is that... sometimes you just want to smash things!

so there ought to be a hammer in every person's toolkit!