American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

corvette - impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 02:31 PM
hype7 is infamous around these parts
corvette - impressions

question here for the american members. i've just moved stateside, and always held the corvette in pretty high regard.

however, since i've been here, i've noticed a fair few comments etc from the locals about the car. quite a bit of it has been less than flattering

so, i guess the question is: what do you guys think of the vette? what about the brand? and the drivers of the vette?

not looking to start a flame war etc, but would love to get some honest impressions

thx

-- james

Old 10-04-2009, 05:04 PM
IMPORTIMAGE is infamous around these parts
im not sure that i love all vette owners or can really relate to them. but i've owned 3 and i probably will own another again. i've never had any problems with them. For the most part they are simple. down here in FL everyone has one as you drive them all year round down here and its the land of retirement...

z06 for next car if i cannot wait on the gallardo.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:58 PM
ORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by hype7
question here for the american members. i've just moved stateside, and always held the corvette in pretty high regard.

however, since i've been here, i've noticed a fair few comments etc from the locals about the car. quite a bit of it has been less than flattering

so, i guess the question is: what do you guys think of the vette? what about the brand? and the drivers of the vette?

not looking to start a flame war etc, but would love to get some honest impressions

thx

-- james
Just remember when listening to those comments, everyone has an opinion just like everyone has an a$$ole. Drive the car and form your own opinions. If you're overly sensitive about the opinion of some it may not be the car for you.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:24 PM
hype7 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ORYX
Just remember when listening to those comments, everyone has an opinion just like everyone has an a$$ole. Drive the car and form your own opinions. If you're overly sensitive about the opinion of some it may not be the car for you.
I agree Don't worry, got a tough skin... but I'm curious as to what I'd be getting myself into.

Thanks for the replies so far guys. Keep it coming - it's great hearing what people think!

Old 10-05-2009, 12:56 AM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Unfortunately, the Vette has a certain stigma associated with it. In other countries where it is not as common and expensive to own, it has more of that status symbol stature that many here attribute to Porsches.

I can tell you this much, there really is nothing else that can perform like a Vette (Z06) for that amount of money. That is also one of the troubling aspects about it, it is relatively common and easy to obtain with poor value retention.

There are times where I wonder why I have not yet purchased a Z06.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:16 AM
Jorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant future
People will always relate poor price retention on these cars. But the truth of the matter is, if you love something it doesnt matter how much it costs, does it ? lol
The vette is definitely a beast and its very fun to drive. Alert, Responsive, Tight and a Bully on the road.
What i like best about chevys is their trucks and the vettes.
Why don't you just drive one and see it all for yourself?

Old 10-05-2009, 07:18 AM
kerryt1 has much to be proud ofkerryt1 has much to be proud ofkerryt1 has much to be proud ofkerryt1 has much to be proud ofkerryt1 has much to be proud ofkerryt1 has much to be proud ofkerryt1 has much to be proud ofkerryt1 has much to be proud of
I bought one (C5 Z06) because it was the highest performing car I could afford at the time. It's not super refined, and they are a bit common. That said, I really do like it and I don't think you'll find anything on the planet that competes in terms of performance per dollar.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:43 AM
dangerz is a splendid one to beholddangerz is a splendid one to beholddangerz is a splendid one to beholddangerz is a splendid one to beholddangerz is a splendid one to beholddangerz is a splendid one to beholddangerz is a splendid one to behold
The community is pretty decent. The car is a lot of fun and for the price, it is hard to beat. Like someone said though, you have *******s in every community that ruin it for the rest of us. Learn to ignore them and you'll enjoy the car.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:06 AM
gfroman is a name known to allgfroman is a name known to allgfroman is a name known to allgfroman is a name known to allgfroman is a name known to allgfroman is a name known to all
Sold my Porsche and got an 08 Z06.
Love the technology, performance, ease of maintenance, and looks!
Switched out the seats for some Recarro GT3 seats and put in a Kenwood/Alpine/Dynaudio GPS/Stereo system.
Also switched out the Goodyear hard runflats for some Nitto's.
Amazing transformation!!

Old 10-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gfroman
Sold my Porsche and got an 08 Z06.
Love the technology, performance, ease of maintenance, and looks!
Switched out the seats for some Recarro GT3 seats and put in a Kenwood/Alpine/Dynaudio GPS/Stereo system.
Also switched out the Goodyear hard runflats for some Nitto's.
Amazing transformation!!

What Porsche did you have? Any regrets?

Old 10-05-2009, 02:15 PM
gfroman is a name known to allgfroman is a name known to allgfroman is a name known to allgfroman is a name known to allgfroman is a name known to allgfroman is a name known to all
'99 996 - Bought it used and kept it for 5 years.
Fun car but was starting to get to the point where things needed to be replaced - clutch, starter, etc.
I bought my 08 Z06 brand new, could not buy a new 997 for the same $.
It was a nice trade-off.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:11 PM
ORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud of
gfrogman, like what you've done with the interior. How comfortable are those seats?

Old 10-06-2009, 07:40 AM
Seats are very supportive and buttery soft leather - same seats in a Porsche GT3.
They are mounted on the OEM brackets so all the motor/memory still function.
I am careful getting in and out of the seats to preserve the nice new leather look.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:02 PM
SunDevilFan is infamous around these parts
I really like the Z06 and almost purchased an '08. From my observations, they are durable, fun and nice looking. Smoking performance as well! As other's have mentioned, they are a tremendous value and very comfortable too. Downsides are, I feel GM put R&D into the performance aspects of the car, and had to skimp a little on the materials and attention to detail from a build-quality perspective and that everyone and their mother has one. For it's price-point, these are worthwhile trade-offs in my opinion.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:12 PM
SINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura about
Best bang for the buck out there.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: corvette - impressions