American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

Ford Raptor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 03:18 PM
996-471 is a splendid one to behold996-471 is a splendid one to behold996-471 is a splendid one to behold996-471 is a splendid one to behold996-471 is a splendid one to behold996-471 is a splendid one to behold996-471 is a splendid one to behold996-471 is a splendid one to behold
Ford Raptor

Here are some pics of my raptor I bought about a month ago. I installed the light bar this past weekend.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:54 PM
hemi_fan is infamous around these parts
Looks wicked, light bar fits the bill and I'm liking the graphics delete. They were way too over the top for me and I wanted to see one without it! Nice! Had it offroad yet?

Old 10-05-2009, 04:35 PM
BAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of light
Not up on these info wise. What else driveline wise is modified with this trim level?

Looks the part for sure, MEAN from the front end!

Old 10-06-2009, 09:21 AM
richtor is infamous around these parts
a bunch of stuff, which is not easy too condense. i will hit the highlights:

specific fox shocks
locker that can run in 2 high and 4 high up to 100mph(mimics off road racing spool), 4 low
all new reengineered stronger bigger suspension pieces
more suspension travel front and rear
3 modes of driving
specific tuning of abs for offroad racing
hill descent control forward and reverse
nearly 8 inches wider than the stock fx4
a 6.2l engine option that has yet to start production(note roush is already running a variation of this motor in a drag car, 7.0 800 crank hp)

before ford started testing they took their truck plus the trucks of other manufacturers out to the desert and broke them, just to find out how strong the raptor needed to be.

good video on the raptor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtxiMGA8QRQ

some specifics on the shocks(edmunds blog)...
Much of the credit goes to the shocks, which Ford developed with Fox Racing, a project for John Marking, VP of Fox Racing's Off-Road Division. A highly experienced off-road pilot (on both four wheels and two), the super-low key Marking (on an aerial scout of the Raptor's proving grounds, right) was having a hard time down-playing the difference between the shocks on the Raptor and those available on other production trucks. The Raptor's shocks are unlike any that have ever made it to the showroom - massive position-sensitive triple-bypass dampers that create 4 compression zones and 3 rebound zones including top-out. Marking explained that he first worked with this type of shock design for extreme downhill mountain bike applications, but only for a specific event (Mammoth Lakes) that required almost no pedaling and the need to absorb huge hits. He mentioned that he never saw a future for it on bicycles but brought the theories of the application forward to off-road truck applications.
The result is shocks with a firm initial travel to keep the Raptor from lolling about like some drunk Trophy Truck, followed by a plush mid-stroke to soak up terrain, capped by a last bit of travel that gets progressively firmer to make it nearly impossible to bottom out (or top out) the suspension. As we saw in our runs up the wash, it works, but like us, it will probably take a while to reach the speeds where you'll even begin to tax the setup.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:55 AM
SunDevilFan is infamous around these parts
Funny to read this post today, since I went to go look at them yesterday. I miss having a truck in the household and the Raptor is what we're considering. These things are uber-cool and I've heard they ride very, very well on pavement. Off-road, they are a beast from the reviews I've read. Congrats on your purchase. I think it looks great and will serve you well. Always been a Ford truck fan! Please let us know if any when you really push it off-road and what your impressions are.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:56 PM
996-471 is a splendid one to behold996-471 is a splendid one to behold996-471 is a splendid one to behold996-471 is a splendid one to behold996-471 is a splendid one to behold996-471 is a splendid one to behold996-471 is a splendid one to behold996-471 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SunDevilFan
Funny to read this post today, since I went to go look at them yesterday. I miss having a truck in the household and the Raptor is what we're considering. These things are uber-cool and I've heard they ride very, very well on pavement. Off-road, they are a beast from the reviews I've read. Congrats on your purchase. I think it looks great and will serve you well. Always been a Ford truck fan! Please let us know if any when you really push it off-road and what your impressions are.
I will definitely post some pics and a review when I take it off-road. You will be very happy if you buy one. It rides better than my wife's 08 escalade on the highway. I am avg. 15.5 mpg on the highway. I am also planning on putting a Saleen supercharger on soon.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:51 PM
BAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of light
Wow, with a 6.2L that thing would be screaming my name.

Sick truck!

Old 10-07-2009, 08:09 AM
kvsm3 is infamous around these parts
nice truck! looks good in white!

Old 10-07-2009, 11:03 AM
got_hp? has a spectacular aura aboutgot_hp? has a spectacular aura about
very cool truck......looks good in white, without the tacky graphics

Old 10-07-2009, 08:12 PM
ranger66 is infamous around these parts
Looks good. I am almost ashamed to say I had not heard about this truck before this thread. It sounds like they really built the heck out of this truck. I haven't seen any on the street yet. I will cruise by the local dealer to see if they have any and get a better look at one.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:56 PM
SunDevilFan is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
Wow, with a 6.2L that thing would be screaming my name.

Sick truck!

That's what I'm saying!

I've had diesel trucks for years and love the power and efficiency of diesel technology. Unfortunately, the new emissions control equipment is choking these engines and making the trucks less reliable, more problematic and more expensive to maintain and run (IMO). So, I'll most likely go back to gas since I don't need the capacity of a 3/4 ton pickup, nor the massive amount of torque a diesel offers. The Raptor, with the 6.2, should satisfy my hunger for power. In person, the Raptor looks very cool and the vids make it out to be a fantastic factory-built 4x4. I turned down the opportunity to drive one because the 6.2L is not out yet, but the OP says it drives well. So, I can't wait until the OP posts some feedback on the trucks first venture off-road. 996-471, your truck looks great and thanks for sharing the pics!

Old 10-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
The Raptor is the sweetest truck out there, nice.