American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

TT Vette has an encounter with a UGR Gallardo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Banned
Hllywood has a spectacular aura aboutHllywood has a spectacular aura aboutHllywood has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by The Fixed Roof.
...maybe if the 6speed driver can't bang gears. Never heard of an auto pulling on anything manual from a roll race.
Then you should get out more. When shifting 2-3 times vs. an auto, the auto has an advantage. Especially when both cars are putting down similar rwhp.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
They have more parasitic losses, but autos don't lose boost between shifts. Manuals do.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:25 AM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
I know Auto's put less power to the ground but I have raced identical cars to mine with more power than mine...same dyno ...and beaten them from a roll. All my time was made up during them shifting.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:57 PM
SINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like some peps need to learn how to power-shift....

Old 03-28-2010, 05:10 PM
Banned
Hllywood has a spectacular aura aboutHllywood has a spectacular aura aboutHllywood has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by SINISTR
How many 1,xxx rwhp 6 speeds have you power-shifted? <<< rhetorical

Last edited by Hllywood; 03-28-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:50 PM
SINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Hllywood
I have no issues with my 640+ RWHP Z. It's not the power that makes or breaks it, it is the car, driver and surface that could IMO....

Old 03-28-2010, 09:48 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
The more power you have the easier it is to break a transmission powershifting. Plus when your having traction issues an auto even on hard shift's does not shock the tires as hard as a manual power shift. That being said its easier to fight freeway wheelspin and pedal when your not also watching the tach and trying to powershift and steer at the same time!

Then you add in nitrous or add in forced induction and the ability to not lose boost or spray thru shifts then it just adds more in favor of the auto wether from a dig or roll.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:06 AM
The Fixed Roof. has a spectacular aura aboutThe Fixed Roof. has a spectacular aura aboutThe Fixed Roof. has a spectacular aura about
Then you should get out more. When shifting 2-3 times vs. an auto, the auto has an advantage. Especially when both cars are putting down similar rwhp.
I do bud. Been doing this for over 15 years now,...street racing. I have raced COUNTLESS auto trans cars, glides,4l60's, 4l80's,T350's...never had an auto contend. Ever.

Not every gear needs to be powershifted... wouldn't you agree? There's other ways of shifting, without powershifting,....like speed shifting? If you r driving any manual trans car, you should always be shifting as quick as possible. You need to be a GREAT DRIVER to do this... not for everyone.

I have no issues with my 640+ RWHP Z. It's not the power that makes or breaks it, it is the car, driver and surface that could IMO....
Werd.

Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
They have more parasitic losses, but autos don't lose boost between shifts. Manuals do.
Well aware of the differences of auto vs manual. A properly shifted MANUAL,..won't loose boost. Maybe the cars are imporperly setup that your driving...

Originally Posted by germeezy1
I know Auto's put less power to the ground but I have raced identical cars to mine with more power than mine...same dyno ...and beaten them from a roll. All my time was made up during them shifting.
exactly...

exactly times 2.

The more power you have the easier it is to break a transmission powershifting. Plus when your having traction issues an auto even on hard shift's does not shock the tires as hard as a manual power shift. That being said its easier to fight freeway wheelspin and pedal when your not also watching the tach and trying to powershift and steer at the same time!

Then you add in nitrous or add in forced induction and the ability to not lose boost or spray thru shifts then it just adds more in favor of the auto wether from a dig or roll.
After working with cars everyday for the past,..god,..years...I have only seen a FEW manual transmission failures. All that did fail,..except for a couple, where all user error. ALl of them. My stock trans held up for years making 3 times the stock power,.. never had one issue. I beat the **** out of my car daily.... I just don't miss gears,.. and I don't make too many mistakes. 1-2 get shifted easily....2-3 rapid...3-4th speed shifted...4-5 powershifted.

No issues.

Now,...we repair automatic transmissions everyday. Parts break MUCH easier in an auto then they do in a manual. Not evern from abusive driving sometimes.

I've launched with ALOT of auto's from a dig,...they've never had an advantage over me from a dig on the street. Drag strip, now thats a different story.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:28 AM
Well you need to setup a class then and teach the street racers where I live. I have literally heard Vette guys running their mouth about them putting down numbers 50 to sometimes 100 rwhp more than me on the dyno. Which is funny to me because its a stalled built auto, that for some reason they have problems getting to lockup on the dyno. And I have intercepted them and asked them to back it up and never had one win.

Especially from a roll, I always bait them into getting overzealous and shifting down to far or its always user error on their part. They get the jump and then I reel them back in every shift until I am ahead. I guess alot of guys talk about being able to power shift but not many can. Thats what I was talking about I had a 1999 Cobra that you had to powershift to stay in the powerband so I got damn good at it. But if you don't know what your doing say hello to R and R on your transmission!

Powershifting 101 down at your local community college, that has a nice ring to it! And my stock transmission shot out of the car on its 2nd nitrous pass....but its a different story if your talking a built transmission as far as longevity even though they fail sometimes too.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:47 PM
The Fixed Roof. has a spectacular aura aboutThe Fixed Roof. has a spectacular aura aboutThe Fixed Roof. has a spectacular aura about
I feel you. All kinds of people say they can do it...go for a ride, and you'll see alot of people simply can't bang gears. I went through multiple ford transmissions. You can't compaire the T-5 and T-45's to a T56... just can't. I broke multiple world class T-5's(3)(88 GT) and I think two T45 transmissions in my old cobra(97). I have broken T56 in a Z06, I did miss a gear(my fault completely)(warrantied)...and never in any other setup ever.

The T56 will handle much more abuse but, bearing failure and syncro's will fail before anything internally.

I have taught multiple people how to powershift and launch there cars. Many friends, will attest to that. Some are even members here. I've been raised around muscle cars... been racing them as long as we could touch the pedals. I honestly feel unsafe in an auto... no control.

But, to each his own. But I honestly never came across an auto to hang with me or any cars that I have built or been around,...but I see how it's easily possible.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:00 PM
I powershifted the day lights out of my T45 in my Cobra and still many miles later the transmission is fine!

Old 03-31-2010, 05:17 AM
I powershifted the day lights out of my T45 in my Cobra and still many miles later the transmission is fine!

I cracked main shafts....powershifting. Ford doesn't like me very much. I also blew up 7 mod motors but,...thats a different thread.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:46 PM
Chinchini is infamous around these parts
bye bye vette!

Old 03-31-2010, 05:22 PM
Can you extend the back of a Gallardo and mate two V10's together and have a quad turbo 10.4 V20 Gallardo?

That should eat Veyrons for breakfast, 1300 rwhp Supra's for lunch and the 1800 hp Keaton SKR for dinner!

So what would that be around 2200 rwhp on low boost, about up to 2800 or so on high boost?

Lets call it a UGR TT LP2200-4....that has a nice ring to it...?

Old 03-31-2010, 08:38 PM
utahviper is infamous around these parts
Viper transmissions are by far the weakest point on a tt setup. You run 1200+rwhp in 5th and you can rest assured it will bust in 3 mile runs or less. There was an 08 viper there that busted his new trans on the first run. I am not saying there isnt driver error but the viper makes too much torque at too low of rpm for the trans. If you had the viper making power at 5500-7500rpm then maybe it could hold for 6 runs but unfortunately it is very costly to accomplish this. One day, hopefully soon, a viper will put down a run that will be incredible 240+.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TT Vette has an encounter with a UGR Gallardo