American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

Buying a used C6 Z06

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 06:21 PM
ImolaMpower is infamous around these parts
Buying a used C6 Z06

How's it going fellas. I'm looking at a used C6 Z06 and I want to know if there is anything I should look for in specific when evaluating the car. I'm looking at 06-07s. I want a car with no more than 25k miles.

When I do find the car I want, my goal will be to achieve ~600rwhp. From what a buddy told me, QM600 cams are the way to go if I intend to stay N/A. Any suggestions as to what other good quality performance parts I will need to meet my goal?

Thanks.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 05-12-2010 at 06:23 PM. Reason: not enough posts
Old 05-13-2010, 07:49 AM
adamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the rough
hey whats up man? to get this goal with N/A motor you will need strong head/cam setup, headers,exhaust, and some more little goodies if you go over to smokinvette.com they are very friendly and know a LOT more than me and my experience...hope this helps

Old 05-13-2010, 12:59 PM
ImolaMpower is infamous around these parts
thanks for the advice

Old 05-13-2010, 01:32 PM
UMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond repute
this should be good!!! Keep us posted with pics and good luck!

Old 05-13-2010, 01:48 PM
gzmo is infamous around these parts
I'm also in the boat for a c6z. A few of my friends have them and one thing that was mentioned to me to look out for is the throwout bearing. For somne reason, they have all had a problem where it makes that supercharger whine to it, but it's an easy fix. Power wise, heads/cams are the best way to go with if you're intending to stay N/A. That will put you right there, if not, more.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:29 PM
SINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ImolaMpower
How's it going fellas. I'm looking at a used C6 Z06 and I want to know if there is anything I should look for in specific when evaluating the car. I'm looking at 06-07s. I want a car with no more than 25k miles.

When I do find the car I want, my goal will be to achieve ~600rwhp. From what a buddy told me, QM600 cams are the way to go if I intend to stay N/A. Any suggestions as to what other good quality performance parts I will need to meet my goal?

Thanks.
Not too much to look out for, just check for abuse and check how many dealer visits it had.

I have over 560 to the wheels and I have done a cam, long tubes, off-road X, cat-back, CAI, ported TB, and some tuning. Head work would put me over 600. But it is enough for me now. Let me tell you, 560 RWHP will scare the sh*t out of you in a Z the first time you punch it from a 15 mph roll....

Old 05-13-2010, 07:34 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SINISTR
Not too much to look out for, just check for abuse and check how many dealer visits it had.

I have over 560 to the wheels and I have done a cam, long tubes, off-road X, cat-back, CAI, ported TB, and some tuning. Head work would put me over 600. But it is enough for me now. Let me tell you, 560 RWHP will scare the sh*t out of you in a Z the first time you punch it from a 15 mph roll....

I agree. I too have over 560 to the wheels and have done similar mods as SINISTR. The magical 600 to the wheels is what a lot of us are chasing. It is NOT easy to do. You come to a point where enough is enough and it is just too damn expensive/difficult to get to that point.

The car will become increasingly UN-street-friendly. Ask me how I know. BIG cam, BIG throttle body/intake, twin disk clutch, solid mounts, etc make for a very unfriendly street car. Plus the tune needs to be spot on.

In my opinion, N/A is the way to go though! It is nice to post up some good numbers and remain n/a.

Good luck in your search for a Z and keep us posted! Feel free to reach out to me if you have any other questions...been there done that.

See ya,
NASTY...

Old 05-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SINISTR
. Let me tell you, 560 RWHP will scare the sh*t out of you in a Z the first time you punch it from a 15 mph roll....
Really? I thought my C6 Z at 722 rwhp was quite tame relative to other cars.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:53 PM
SINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Really? I thought my C6 Z at 722 rwhp was quite tame relative to other cars.
The FIRST time it did. It was about 45 out and I was on my 20" tires. And I powershifted the 1-2 shift.

Now I have gotten used to it to the point I think I might wanna do head work, maybe....

What did you do to hit 722? Forced induction?

Old 05-13-2010, 09:26 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
^^^ I would say definitely FI with those #'s. Head work is all I have left! LOL.

Sorry to jack your thread OP.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:33 PM
GIO-305 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ImolaMpower

Thanks.
If you are planing to put the QM600 then go with there Black Mamba cam. It's there updated verson of the QM600.
http://www.theair-charger.com/blackmambacam.html

But let me just say to make 600hp its going to take more then a cam. Look into getting the heads, intake and throttle body ported. Headers and a Halltech super bee CAI with a vette-air scoop will also help getting you there. You might want to bump up to there Black Widow cam.
http://www.theair-charger.com/bmacamspkit.html

Good luck getting the vette and getting to the 600hp club

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 05-27-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:56 PM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
Good luck with the search, the Z is definitely on my next car list.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:45 AM
john36 is infamous around these parts
Very nice choice on stepping up to a z. I too will be looking to purchase one within a year or two. The three things you should look for are: warranty, the throwout bearing as mentioned before and the earlier 06 models had a recall on the roof not being glued properly. Most likely the issue has been addressed but check the service records regardless. I believe on the 08+ the interior received a mild update. A buddy of mine recently purchased an 08 zo6 with 11k miles with every option on it for $49k.

As for the 600+rwhp mark you can achieve it two ways. 1. Heads/cam and all bolt ons. 2. You can go FI with a blower. Staying NA will be more rewarding in terms of feel but it won't be as streetable as FI would be. FI also will be in a similar price range. Check out the corvetteforum.com for more power information.

Hope this helps a little and good luck with your search

Last edited by john36; 05-17-2010 at 10:02 AM. Reason: added info
Old 05-17-2010, 10:10 PM
EVILNESS is infamous around these partsEVILNESS is infamous around these parts
Heres mine
QM600
Halltech KB
Vette Air scoop
AR headers no cats
Borla Stingers
Meziere EWP
Fast 102
60lb injectors

Old 05-19-2010, 10:20 AM
element256 is infamous around these partselement256 is infamous around these parts
^^ What a smooth power curve !
Who tuned that ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buying a used C6 Z06