American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

how can i pervent 1st to 2 whip out on srt 10

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 05:21 PM
cheon is infamous around these parts
how can i pervent 1st to 2 whip out on srt 10

i am a proud new owner of a 2006 v019 edition srt 10 viper. i have 2 previous models so i am not new at driving them but i was driving my 06 and i punched in 1st and switched to second and "bang" in a blink of an eye i was goin sideways forward luckly i didnt cream the curb or the 4 foot barrier.my friend that has 1 says it happen to him 3 times last year . can anyone tell me y this happen is it due to a limited slip diff (lsd)? thx

Old 05-25-2010, 05:25 PM
WearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
Control your right foot, watch that the road is not uneven to cause the suspension to move to much and pay up on your life insurance.

All vipers have engough power in 1st/2nd/3rd depending on the speed and road condition to let the back end out. Its amplified by bad driving habits, the stiffer rear suspension and the run flat tires.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:43 PM
BGolden is infamous around these parts
I would ditch the run flats and get softer compound tires.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:51 PM
SINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura about
Better (stickier) tires and work on your skills.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:51 PM
utahviper is infamous around these parts
Dont go WOT when the tires are cold. Get better tires. Dont go WOT on cold roads at all, unless your going at least 60mph.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:16 AM
997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light
Vipers are a handful - they need the driver to have patience and respect for the "rawness" of its power due to lack of nanny controls, especially when the pavement/tires are cold. Since the car will go out on its own like that, I have found it is best to be somewhat gentle with the loud pedal if there isn't room for going sideways.

Being gentle doesn't mean not going WOT, it means modulating the pedal so the tires can bite in as much as possible without just spinning.

Once the pavement gets cool or cold you can forget it. The Pilot Sport RFTs are probably the better run flats but as said they are a source of the issue as well. Driving them in the summer when they are hot is night and day to when they are cold. No grip in the cold, even with a 345 mm width.

Keep practicing launching with as little wheel spin as possible while you increase the travel of the gas pedal and you will begin to get better acceleration, same goes for the 1-2 shift.

Think gentle aplication of power to WOT to achieve the results when the surroundings don't permit going sideways.

You probably have a new "respect" for the car since your incident, that is healthy. You also might want to check out the Viper Club of America or go to the forum @ http://forums.viperclub.org/ lots of experience & info there.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:12 AM
The Fixed Roof. has a spectacular aura aboutThe Fixed Roof. has a spectacular aura aboutThe Fixed Roof. has a spectacular aura about
Proper control of the left and right pedals... along with alot of practice. Alot feel, has alot to do with it. That, will come with time behind the wheel.

How I learned,...I was 14...behind the wheel of a 66 vette,...in the middle of nowhere,...with lots of empty concrete around... plenty of room to allow the car to move around, while you try and keep it accelerating straight.

Fun stuff.... now second nature.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:18 AM
V10Viper is infamous around these parts
As the others have said, throttle control is the key. 2 options I would give would be get new tires as the runcraps are terrible. Go for the new PS2's or the Sport Cups. The other option is to do a Quaiffe rear end which I have on my 900 RWHP Viper and it works great. There is still some tire spin but it gives you time to get out of it before it goes around.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:26 PM
AbsolutHank is a jewel in the roughAbsolutHank is a jewel in the roughAbsolutHank is a jewel in the roughAbsolutHank is a jewel in the rough
Get a new set of Michelin's and feel the difference...if you're keeping stock sized wheels, it's a no brainer. The runflats serve their purpose, but are still terrible

Old 05-26-2010, 06:04 PM
cheon is infamous around these parts
GREAT! thx guyz just ordered a pair of nitto invos thx for ur help!!!

Old 05-26-2010, 06:26 PM
'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light
If tires alone don't do it think of the pedal as a ballon, if you stomp on it it will pop, press into it and to go WOT until you mow exactly how much force you can throw at it.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:26 PM
CAMMag is infamous around these parts
I've got a stock 94 Viper and experience this, but there's some good info in here. More often than not, in my car, the tires just need to be good and warm.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:29 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
On any car with that kind of power, you don't just slam 2nd or try to no lift shift into 2nd gear. Throttle control is very key, and also knowing what to do when the car does go sideways on you.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:34 AM
No Name is infamous around these partsNo Name is infamous around these parts
A Quaiffe and good tires make all the difference in the world!

Old 05-27-2010, 08:51 AM
Jroc is infamous around these partsJroc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by No Name
A Quaiffe and good tires make all the difference in the world!

Truth.

I was barely chirping 1st to 2nd with 700tq, but those were on 345/35/18 MT et radials

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: how can i pervent 1st to 2 whip out on srt 10