American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

My Low-Key Malibu

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 09:18 PM
DeltaT is infamous around these parts
Continuing the build up into the top end:

To avoid any valvespring issues with high boost, I upgraded to the Pacalloy springs which will give me about 700lbs at full lift:

Had the valvecovers hard anodized, polished the oil filler caps and had them black anodized:

I put the custom thickness Cometic head gaskets (.051") down, slipped the heads on and slowly torqued them down. The next morning I loosened them a bit and retorqued, then I installed the T&D shaft rocker setup and roughly set the valve lash so I could check the shaft stand height and ensure the rocker arm tip sweep was acceptable:

Since the sweep was narrow and not too close to the edge, the stands didn't require machining, so I used High Tack to glue down the Felpro intake manifold gaskets. Then I put the manifold on and torqued it down slowly and left it overnight.

The next day, the High Tack was dry when I removed the manifold. The I trimmed the intake manifold gasket to fit the AFR 235cc ports:

With the heads and intake manifold gaskets finished, I could final port-match the intake manifold just a tiny bit smaller than the AFR intake ports:

In October I took a class on Powdercoating & Sandblasting at the TechShop, to get ready to finish my intake manifold. I had it clear anodized then Teflon coated first (for alcohol protection) then masked off the inside and re-blasted the outside. Here it is masked and plugged, ready for me to powdercoat:

Here I am applying the powder. The clear goes on white so you can see what you are doing:

Here it is right out of the oven after baking at 380F for 15 minutes:

And here's a closeup before I removed the plugs:

More on the way tonight.

Jim

Old 12-06-2011, 09:47 PM
With hard anodized Cloyes timing cover on (with a Cloyes Hex-A-Just timing set underneath), oil pan all sealed up, ATI damper on:

On to some graphics. I had planned for this so I prepared 4 oil filler caps.
I took a class on the Laser Cutter/Etcher then designed some graphics and font for the two sets of oil caps.

Two caps I did with the real motor size and blower model:

And the other two caps I prepared for Saturday night fun and confusion

Then it was time to epoxy in the nitrous spraybar. It's a NOS Big Shot that I cut up to embed in the manifold since I need that height to be able to use the stock flat hood. Once it was dry I used the vertical mill to surface it flush, then I drilled a 3/32" hole and installed a spring roll pin so the spraybar can never blow out.

This last weekend I used Corel Draw to design a flame font and adapt a ghost logo for my valvecovers.

Here's a closeup - it looks a bit tilted but that's just the picture:

And here's an overall shot of how it looks today (I have some trimming to do on a few intake manifold washers hence the missing ones):

Where the distributor would normally be you can see the sequential injection cam sync unit. I powdercoated the top of it flat black. All the powder I have used so far is automotive-rated for underhood use.

Lots of stuff still to do:

From left: Custom 10-rib, 9.2" crank pulley from ASP Racing, AC delete panel I will mount the new Holley Dominator EFI unit to, Holley Distributor-less Ignition System, about 1/5 of the wiring harness I will eventually install.

Stay tuned.

Jim

Old 12-08-2011, 11:37 PM
Norman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really nice
Incredible job... I absolutely love your car. If you have any to post I would love to see/hear a video of your car in action. Again congrats and good continuation on this amazing build.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:37 PM
ScottiDucati is infamous around these parts
That's awesome !! I bet you get a lot of shocked faces.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:07 AM
e46m3smg is infamous around these partse46m3smg is infamous around these parts
This car defines "SLEEPER", I just wanna see the face of a supercar owner after you shred him in a race. Priceless.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:59 AM
GTS Jay has a spectacular aura aboutGTS Jay has a spectacular aura about
WoW - you're quite the automotive/motor-building artist! I wish I had 1/10th the skills! Super well done and very interesting! Thanks for sharing your project with us - love it!

Old 12-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Lt. Dan is infamous around these parts
I call Shotgun!!!

Old 12-14-2011, 03:03 PM
Truck Jam is infamous around these parts
Thats just sneaky dirty! AWESOME.

TJ

Old 12-20-2011, 11:34 AM
Thanks! Unfortunately I should have doled out the pictures - I sent out so many at once they shut down my website mid-month (until Jan1) because I exceeded my bandwidth.

I will hopefully have some new shots by then to share (in smaller doses ).

Jim