American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

What's It Worth? Rare 1987 IROC Convertible?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 12:56 PM
TorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud of
What's It Worth? Rare 1987 IROC Convertible?

Too many cars in the garage and it's time to sell my rare IROC-Z convertible. Seeking advice on what this vehicle's worth so I can price it accordingly when I post it on AutoTrader, eBay, etc.

Year: 1987½
Model: Camaro Z28 IROC-Z Convertible (20th Anniversary)
Options: Police Package, 5-speed TPI, PW, PDL
Colors: Triple Black
Mileage: 86,2XX

This is a BRASS HAT car as it was internally ordered by an executive at AC Delco when it was part of GM. (This is verified by a copy of the window sticker.) Car has been documented by GM Media Archives and I have both a packet of emails between GM and myself as well as the actual emails still in my folder. Car is currently a #3 car. Fine to drive today and worthwhile fully restoring down the road.

So... what's this car worth?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by TorqueChap; 04-23-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:52 PM
NJSPEEDER is infamous around these parts
BF4 and a vert?

That car has to be a one of one car but the unfortunately 3rd gens haven't made it too far up the collector car respect ladder yet.

It would probably be best to seek a value opinion on a site like Yenko.net as they are largely the most tuned into the muscle car collector market.

Got any pics? Sounds like a sweet ride.

-Tim

Old 04-03-2011, 10:01 PM
TorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud of
Hey NJSpeeder,
Thanks for the post. The car is currently stored in a barn in Bucks County, but I'll be retrieving it shortly for a hand wash and a few updated pics. Will drop you a line when the photos are ready.

BTW, what's a "B4F?"

Old 04-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Rawyzf is infamous around these parts
Does it come with a mullet?

All joking aside , I've always had a soft spot for the IROC-Z. I have owned an 85 & 89.

GLWS!

Old 04-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Rawyzf

All joking aside , I've always had a soft spot for the IROC-Z. I have owned an 85 & 89.

GLWS!
mullet is a owner-installed option, rawyzf! but it may interfere with the whole "wind in the hair" experience. thanks for the shout out!

Old 04-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Rawyzf is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TorqueChap
mullet is a owner-installed option, rawyzf! but it may interfere with the whole "wind in the hair" experience. thanks for the shout out!
Oh, lol, I didn't think that was optional feature.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:01 PM
tony tone is a splendid one to beholdtony tone is a splendid one to beholdtony tone is a splendid one to beholdtony tone is a splendid one to beholdtony tone is a splendid one to beholdtony tone is a splendid one to beholdtony tone is a splendid one to beholdtony tone is a splendid one to behold
pics please???

i really loved this car in the late 80s early 90s.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by tony tone
pics please???

i really loved this car in the late 80s early 90s.
Here's a link to the car ad on AutoTrader. Will take more detailed pics shortly and post them online:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=298165783&dealer_id=66213261&c ar_year=1987&systime=&doors=&model=&search_lang=en &start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=__YnJhc3MgaGF0__&keyw ordsrep=098114097115115032104097116&highlightFirst MakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=25&min_price= &rdm=1302930410248&drive=&marketZipError=false&adv anced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=brass+hat&lastBegin ningStartYear=1981&end_year=2012&showZipError=y&ma ke2=&certified=&engine=&page_location=findacar%3A% 3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&transmission=&default_ sort=newsortbyprice_DESC&max_mileage=&color=&addre ss=19087&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=&awsp=false &make=CHEV&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=0& standard=false&rdpage=thumb

This 20th Anniversary Camaro would look GREAT parked next to your Caddy!

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 04-23-2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: active link and in open forum..post a classified in the marketplace
Old 04-18-2011, 04:15 AM
Mullet Is a GOD !Mullet Is a GOD !Mullet Is a GOD !Mullet Is a GOD !Mullet Is a GOD !Mullet Is a GOD !Mullet Is a GOD !Mullet Is a GOD !Mullet Is a GOD !Mullet Is a GOD !Mullet Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rawyzf

GLWS!

license plate on my 88 IROC............

MULLETZ

Old 04-18-2011, 05:39 AM
TopBliss is infamous around these parts
I don't know if you know it but the G92 is NOT the police package. Its a performance package which has nothing to do with the Police package. Your Camaro is not a police packaged car

Old 04-18-2011, 07:09 AM
My contacts at GM Media Archives, as well as the last brand manager for the Camaro, would respectfully and mightily disagree. The RPO B4C option was exclusive to RS cars and introduced in 1991. However, a properly optioned Z-28 with the G92 package identical specs. While my 1987 predates the B4C package introduction, it would seem that it mirrored this package once it became available in future cars. GM told me that they thought around 120 or so 1987 IROC-Zs were built with the G92 option package (e.g., H.O. engine, special cam, 4-wheel disc brakes, AC, dual-converter exhaust, 16"wheels, engine oil cooler, etc.).

It was actually GM Media Archives who told me, after reviewing their internal documentation, that this car had the "Police Package." (They never used the term B4C which makes sense since this RPO didn't exist in 1987, right?)

BTW, another forum contains reference to a special cam (GM P/N 14093640) that was "used on a Police Package RPO LM1" (quoting the thirdgen thread). Here's the link:
http://www.thirdgen.org/techdb

It's a neat car, but I've got too many cars and would like to thin the herd a bit. But I have no interest in being lowballed. Will sell the car for a fair price to both parties or I'll simply continue to garage it as insurance is kind on a 23-year-old car that only goes on the road on sunny days. If possible, I really would enjoy seeing it go to an appreciative new home!

Here's the link on AutoTrader and apologies for the limited pics. I'm waiting for nice weather to take high-res shots of the entire car as well as the interior and engine compartment. (The TPI engine is a feast for the eyes!)
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 04-23-2011 at 08:41 PM. Reason: active links
Old 04-18-2011, 08:42 AM
TopBliss is infamous around these parts
well, I think you answered your own question., The B4C package did not exist in 87, so though your car is indeed equipped like a later B4C police car it most certainly is not one..

BTW- its a rare and beautiful Camaro nine the less I am just a stickler for correct details

Old 04-18-2011, 08:52 AM
I never had a question about the Police Package Again, GM's historians used this term with me and not the other way around. This car's rare option set, which includes, but is far from limited to the RPO G92, has been fully thoroughly documented and authenticated by GM. Also, there is a very distinct possibility that this car ALSO has the very rare and desirable LM1 Police Package option which was clearly available through Chevrolet in the 1987 model year (GM P/N 14093640). If such is the case, this would be superior to the B4C which wasn't even labeled a "Police Package" by GM. As my signature block shows, I don't tend to dabble in pedestrian vehicles.

If you have issue, best to contact GM Media Archives directly and not consume any more bandwidth on this thread.

Originally Posted by jbsteven
license plate on my 88 IROC............ MULLETZ
And, JB, absolutely a fan of your vanity tag!

Last edited by TorqueChap; 04-18-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:50 PM
blackjak is infamous around these parts
wow i havent seen to many iroc verts on the road, ive seen maybe 1

Old 04-23-2011, 07:08 PM
thanks, blackjak! yep, the car is undeniably cool and rare. just pulled it out of storage today and will be taking more pics shortly

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's It Worth? Rare 1987 IROC Convertible?