American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

ZL1 is faster than zo6

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 07:30 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Iceman3K
I'm not a huge fan of the looks of the new Camaro, but a GTR owner should not be commenting on the looks of other sports cars, lol. The GTR's looks are every bit as subjective as the Gen 5 Camaro
Did ORYX have a GT-R?

I didn't know. Regardless of what kind of car he had, I was just trying to find out if he meant:

It looks ugly and performs the same.

OR

It looks awesome and performs the same.

If your advice was directed at me, I'm sorry this was lost in translation.

*edit: What does a GT-R have anything to do with ORYX's opinion of a Camaro anyway? Please explain.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:12 AM
ORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud of
I like the looks and a 7:41 is still a remarkable time.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:34 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ORYX
I like the looks and a 7:41 is still a remarkable time.
I figured, and I agree (just seeking confirmation, I guess).

I'm glad they released it.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by PeakPower
Really? You're comparing a GTR's looks to a camaro's? The GTR is purpose built. Every angle & every bolt is precision mounted. The camaro is as ugly as the day is long.

Put them side by side and there's no comparison. I have an LS6 and I love GTR's, they are the epitome of technology in it's ripest form plus they look amazing.
As much as this post pleases my ego, I prefer the raw muscular looks of the Camaro (as an American, infatuated with sport cars from the '60s). I feel a certain level of pride with the new Mustang 5.0, Camaro SS, and Challenger SRT. I think they've all got winning formulas, and appeal to the brand loyal, as well as the disloyal enthusiasts.

I've recommended to my good friend the Challenger SRT, because of the ride height/vision, ride quality, used price range, auto-trans (she has really bad knees, and can't deal with manuals anymore), front legroom, relative handling, backseat space for the occasional passenger, etc...

The Camaro looks the part, and performs admirably, but the front legroom is narrow, with little room for those expecting more from a Touring-type car. I never really noticed this as a smaller person, until a 6ft 300lbs guy had one at a meeting I attended, and he invited my to look at his Camaro. He showed me how difficult it was for him ingress/egress the car, and to adjust the seats, etc...

If you're after looks and performance, this car has them all beat, in my opinion (but at a price).

*edit: my friend is currently driving a '67 Camaro RS, matching numbers, in beautiful condition. It is for sale... lol! (shameless, but PM me if interested)

Last edited by jaspergtr; 10-12-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Truck Jam is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by iceman3k
i'm not a huge fan of the looks of the new camaro, but a gtr owner should not be commenting on the looks of other sports cars, lol. The gtr's looks are every bit as subjective as the gen 5 camaro
lol!

For what the Camaro is, it is a great car in a sea of other great cars. Just a sign of the times I guess. Sure beats the low revving super tiny V8's from the 80's...

Old 10-14-2011, 11:04 PM
Turbogst12000 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
According to who?

Usually, less time means faster.

Perhaps your results vary.

When I looked I goggled it and I possibly came up with a older zo6 time, apologies.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:01 AM
Detoxx03 is infamous around these parts
Impressive time for a heavy car. The ZL1 is sexy

Old 10-15-2011, 09:36 AM
richtor is infamous around these parts
Whats the real time in a stock ZL1?

I have heard that GM has been known to lease out the ring for a couple weeks at a time for marketing. Tips, tricks, and tuning learned from 100s of hours on a closed track will definitely takes seconds off 12.8 mile run.

So what would be the time that Walter Rohrl could run a stock ZL1 around the ring?

Does anyone know the weight of this car? It should weigh more than the 3860 of the ss.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:48 AM
GaFFLe is just really niceGaFFLe is just really niceGaFFLe is just really niceGaFFLe is just really nice
Originally Posted by jutes85
I think it looks like an aborted fetus. Worse is, all the owners think its the fastest thing on the road...
You must be talking about the Dodge Challenger; that thing's a tugboat. Camaro's look awesome IMO.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:50 AM
Supratt6s is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by adrenaluke
No it isn't. 2012 Z06 lapped the ring in 7:22.6...
what this guy said

Old 10-22-2011, 12:15 PM
BOOMER7 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GaFFLe
You must be talking about the Dodge Challenger; that thing's a tugboat. Camaro's look awesome IMO.
On pure looks

Challenger > Camaro

Old 10-25-2011, 08:02 PM
richtor is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GaFFLe
Evidently the zl1 is too at 4120lbs and 4200lbs for the auto! It weighs in over 350 pounds heavier than the gt500!

Old 10-28-2011, 07:21 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
I would love to see Ford go to Germany with the Laguna Seca Boss. Such an incredible car to drive for the money. Would be great to see how it stacks up against the more expensive ZL1.

*Edit-Such an incredible car to drive for any money!*

Old 10-29-2011, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by DetomasoGTS74
I would love to see Ford go to Germany with the Laguna Seca Boss. Such an incredible car to drive for the money. Would be great to see how it stacks up against the more expensive ZL1.

*Edit-Such an incredible car to drive for any money!*
I wouldn't recommend the Laguna Seca Edition, although I agree with the Boss aspect. Because the gear ratios, spring rates, etc... were designed specifically for Laguna Seca, it will shine on that one track. Other tracks may also see benefits, but seriously, Boss spent a LOT of time with the gear ratios perfectly set for the right RPM at the right corners. I don't think the LS version would fare as well at other tracks. I DO think, however, that the regular Boss version would be a great comparison on track.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:12 AM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I wouldn't recommend the Laguna Seca Edition, although I agree with the Boss aspect. Because the gear ratios, spring rates, etc... were designed specifically for Laguna Seca, it will shine on that one track. Other tracks may also see benefits, but seriously, Boss spent a LOT of time with the gear ratios perfectly set for the right RPM at the right corners. I don't think the LS version would fare as well at other tracks. I DO think, however, that the regular Boss version would be a great comparison on track.
I do not know where you get your information from. I just spoke with my Aunt who works for Ford Racing.

BOTH the BOSS 302 and the BOSS 302 Laguna Seca were developed at laguna Seca (which is not a bad track to dial in at BTW) primarily, but also spent significant time at Inde Motorsport Ranch among others. You should look for the SPEED TV special on the development of the BOSS 302 very cool. Both cars are great at any track but the Laguna Seca stock will outshine the standard BOSS on ANY track and here is why:

The major differences in the BOSS 302 and the Laguna Seca are:
-Rear seat delete with tubular crossbrace
-A unique splitter and rear spoiler also combine to add 90 pounds of downforce at 140 mph
-A torque-sensing limited-slip differential
-R Compound Pirelli Corsa tires
-Recaro seats
-transmission scoop under the car to cool those fast-spinning gears.

Here is a good read on the two when driven side by side:
http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/226...a-seca-edition

*edit*
Laguna seca also has an air duct kit for the brakes and guages that do everything from show 0-60, Qtr mile, lateral G (on the fly and very cool to see the negative g's when you lay off the throttle), etc. I have never had a more positive reception in a car than while driving the Laguna Seca around Detroit.

Impressive time from "just" the standard BOSS 302:

Attached Images  

Last edited by DetomasoGTS74; 10-29-2011 at 12:24 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ZL1 is faster than zo6