American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

C7 Corvette Spy Photos...Looks like Jalopnik renderings are correct

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 01:39 PM
PaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to behold
C7 Corvette Spy Photos...Looks like Jalopnik renderings are correct

In case you haven't seen these yet, check out the link below

http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-ga...py-photos-news

Looks like those Jalopnik renderings will prove to be true....look at the passenger side rims....exactly what Jalopnik drew. I am not excited. The front fender from the back of the front wheel to the door looks entirely too long (waaaaaaay to long, looks out of proportion). Obvioously, the car is covered and it hard to make out details of what it will actually look like, but I think we can be pretty damn certain (based on the passenger side rims) that the jalopnik drwings are actual at this point. Just curious as to what other vette fans think of these spy photos and the jalopnik renderings. I think the proportions of the car do not look right. Back is too short and the front too long...what do you think?

Old 01-21-2012, 02:17 PM
SIIK2NR is infamous around these parts
Too hard to tell... Camo is doing its job.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:25 PM
PaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SIIK2NR
Too hard to tell... Camo is doing its job.

fair enough, but I still believe the proportions are off...

Old 02-11-2012, 10:42 PM
elp_jc is infamous around these parts
It's probably going to be a C5.2 (C6 is a C5.1) with improved interior and drivetrains... again. But it better be a MUCH bigger step than from C5 to C6 if they want to succeed IMO. Oh, and keep the price in check.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:57 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
I was hoping for some real style and flair in the design to make me really consider owning one. The days of flat surfaces to manage aero are over and they can certainly return to some of the curves of the 60's, 70's or 80's. There are just too many corvettes out there that look like each other and the time has come for something different IMO.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by Red Devil
I was hoping for some real style and flair in the design to make me really consider owning one. The days of flat surfaces to manage aero are over and they can certainly return to some of the curves of the 60's, 70's or 80's. There are just too many corvettes out there that look like each other and the time has come for something different IMO.
Agree 100% While I liked the C6, it is time for a revolutionary design change.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:57 PM
ORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by elp_jc
It's probably going to be a C5.2 (C6 is a C5.1) with improved interior and drivetrains... again. But it better be a MUCH bigger step than from C5 to C6 if they want to succeed IMO. Oh, and keep the price in check.
Corvettes are world class sports car in every performance aspect. You want it to compete with 100k-250K foreign cars and keep their price in check? The base Corvettes go for 50k, base Porsche 911 90k, Ferrari and Lamborghini run well over 200K for their entry level stuff. Would I like there to be improvements to the interior? Sure, but not if they jack up the price by 10-20K. I'm not a millionaire so I can live with the C6 Corvette interior.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:27 PM
Daekwan is a jewel in the roughDaekwan is a jewel in the roughDaekwan is a jewel in the rough
1) C6 is far from a "C5.1".. as over 80% of its parts are new/redesigned. The car itself is lower, wider and shorter. The wheelbase is significantly shorter, the LS3 engine and the TR6060 transmissions are completely new designs. The wheels, brakes, headlights and computer driving aids (traction control, ABS, vehicle stability) are all next generation. Drive a C5, then drive a C6.. and you will instantly see how silly that statement is. Beyond the vast difference in drivetrain, electronics, interior & exterior.. the performance difference is so great between the 2 models.. that the base C6 w/Z51 option can equal the top dog C5-Z06 in performance from last generation. The difference between the C6 and C7, should be just as dramatic.. as the base C7 will attempt to equal the performance of the current C6-Z06.

2) The Corvette formula has "only" worked for over 60 years now. Name another sportscar that has been around for over 60 years? Why dare risk so much history & tradition, with a 'revolutionary' redesign attempting to attract some new customers.. while possibly losing the many more loyal ones. The C7 is guaranteed to have the classic front engine, smallblock V8, RWD, fiberglass body panels offered in a lightweight 2 door/2 passenger coupe and convertible style. Still doesnt count out an option for AWD and possibly a DCT.. as GM knows its flagship vehicle needs to stay competitive with the rest of the world. GM knows AWD/DCT is the main performance advantage that the GTR, 911TT, R8, FF, Gallardo, Veyron, you-name-it-etc is has over their flagship car. Sooner or later they have to apply the same tech to their vehicles to remain competitive.

3) Price & Performance already speak for itself in the Corvette. As it stands every model equals or beats the competition price/performance (Base model, Z06 or ZR1). This is now an 8 year old design that is still competitive with the worlds best. With the advancements GM has done with the more recent CTS-V & ZL1, we see a great indicator of what type of technology to expect in the upcoming C7. The Caddy has a MUCH updated/refined interior & comes with Recaro seats. While the ZL1 offers unmatched overall performance in the $50K range (yes, the 2013 Shelby GT500 comes with 650hp.. but its yet to be determined how well it performs on a roadtrack, whereas the ZL1 has already produced jaw-dropping laptimes at both the Nurburgring & Laguna Seca race tracks).

4) While noone knows exactly what specs will come on the production C7. Its commonly expected to have a next generation, direct injection smallblock 5.5L V8. An engine that will be smaller, lighter, rev higher.. while being more powerful and fuel efficient. The current smallblock 6.2L V8 already produces 430hp and gets 28+mpg on the highway. While no other engine/car combo has yet to better those numbers, its conceivable that a 5.5L DI could improve those numbers to around 500hp & up to 30 mpg highway. Using a twin scroll supercharger on the 5.5L DI engine (like whats currently done in the flagship ZR1/ZL1/CTS-V vehicles), GM could make as much as 700hp and 25mpg hwy out of a "Z06" themed C7. Those numbers are VERY realistic, considering the current ZR1 already hits 638hp & 21+mpg.. with no start/stop tech or cylinder deactivation.

5) Last but not least, remember the current C6 was designed and produced under the "old" (pre-bankruptcy) GM corporation. A GM that was in many ways lazy, unimaginative and uncompetitive. The C7 will be the first new Corvette model produced under the "new" (post-bankruptcy) GM. This new GM is hungry, re-energized and actively competing against every manufacturer worldwide. This is literally a night & day difference in the company thats building this car. In other words.. expect an absolute knockout punch!

I'll admit I'm a Corvette fan.. and a Corvette owner. But I'm also a huge car enthusiast with an appreciation for all cars. Either way I just cant standby and watch ill-conceived information get passed along without sharing a more realistic view past/present/future of the Corvette brand. The Corvette may not be the most refined sportscar money can buy.. if anything its more of a bargain priced sports car that the average consumer can afford. But it does deliver world class performance and has continually improved on a formula that has withstood the test of time.. while many others have withered away. Expect the C7 to be the biggest improvement & most impressive model thus far.

Last edited by Daekwan; 02-14-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Motorbreath is infamous around these parts
Corvettes are definitely a great high-performance vehicle for the price. I have to say, though, that I am dissapointed by the design showing in the spy photos. It looks like Chevy is playing it too safe. With the Camaro Chevy went more daring, and I think it worked. Not that I want to see the Corvette with a similar look, but I do think a Corvette with a design that incorporated a little bit more of a nod to the storied past of the car would be wonderful.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit I am a Corvette fan, but the C7's design just seems too bland.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Daekwan,
You are on point

Old 05-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Hurley1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Daekwan
1) C6 is far from a "C5.1".. as over 80% of its parts are new/redesigned. The car itself is lower, wider and shorter. The wheelbase is significantly shorter, the LS3 engine and the TR6060 transmissions are completely new designs. The wheels, brakes, headlights and computer driving aids (traction control, ABS, vehicle stability) are all next generation. Drive a C5, then drive a C6.. and you will instantly see how silly that statement is. Beyond the vast difference in drivetrain, electronics, interior & exterior.. the performance difference is so great between the 2 models.. that the base C6 w/Z51 option can equal the top dog C5-Z06 in performance from last generation. The difference between the C6 and C7, should be just as dramatic.. as the base C7 will attempt to equal the performance of the current C6-Z06.

2) The Corvette formula has "only" worked for over 60 years now. Name another sportscar that has been around for over 60 years? Why dare risk so much history & tradition, with a 'revolutionary' redesign attempting to attract some new customers.. while possibly losing the many more loyal ones. The C7 is guaranteed to have the classic front engine, smallblock V8, RWD, fiberglass body panels offered in a lightweight 2 door/2 passenger coupe and convertible style. Still doesnt count out an option for AWD and possibly a DCT.. as GM knows its flagship vehicle needs to stay competitive with the rest of the world. GM knows AWD/DCT is the main performance advantage that the GTR, 911TT, R8, FF, Gallardo, Veyron, you-name-it-etc is has over their flagship car. Sooner or later they have to apply the same tech to their vehicles to remain competitive.

3) Price & Performance already speak for itself in the Corvette. As it stands every model equals or beats the competition price/performance (Base model, Z06 or ZR1). This is now an 8 year old design that is still competitive with the worlds best. With the advancements GM has done with the more recent CTS-V & ZL1, we see a great indicator of what type of technology to expect in the upcoming C7. The Caddy has a MUCH updated/refined interior & comes with Recaro seats. While the ZL1 offers unmatched overall performance in the $50K range (yes, the 2013 Shelby GT500 comes with 650hp.. but its yet to be determined how well it performs on a roadtrack, whereas the ZL1 has already produced jaw-dropping laptimes at both the Nurburgring & Laguna Seca race tracks).

4) While noone knows exactly what specs will come on the production C7. Its commonly expected to have a next generation, direct injection smallblock 5.5L V8. An engine that will be smaller, lighter, rev higher.. while being more powerful and fuel efficient. The current smallblock 6.2L V8 already produces 430hp and gets 28+mpg on the highway. While no other engine/car combo has yet to better those numbers, its conceivable that a 5.5L DI could improve those numbers to around 500hp & up to 30 mpg highway. Using a twin scroll supercharger on the 5.5L DI engine (like whats currently done in the flagship ZR1/ZL1/CTS-V vehicles), GM could make as much as 700hp and 25mpg hwy out of a "Z06" themed C7. Those numbers are VERY realistic, considering the current ZR1 already hits 638hp & 21+mpg.. with no start/stop tech or cylinder deactivation.

5) Last but not least, remember the current C6 was designed and produced under the "old" (pre-bankruptcy) GM corporation. A GM that was in many ways lazy, unimaginative and uncompetitive. The C7 will be the first new Corvette model produced under the "new" (post-bankruptcy) GM. This new GM is hungry, re-energized and actively competing against every manufacturer worldwide. This is literally a night & day difference in the company thats building this car. In other words.. expect an absolute knockout punch!

I'll admit I'm a Corvette fan.. and a Corvette owner. But I'm also a huge car enthusiast with an appreciation for all cars. Either way I just cant standby and watch ill-conceived information get passed along without sharing a more realistic view past/present/future of the Corvette brand. The Corvette may not be the most refined sportscar money can buy.. if anything its more of a bargain priced sports car that the average consumer can afford. But it does deliver world class performance and has continually improved on a formula that has withstood the test of time.. while many others have withered away. Expect the C7 to be the biggest improvement & most impressive model thus far.

well said.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:27 AM
meekrab is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Hurley1
well said.
Well said... but WRONG in many details. The C6 wheelbase is longer while the overall car is shorter, the car is almost two inches taller, and it's narrower (other than the Z06/GS bodywork.) The Gen IV small block is also far from a 'completely new' design, being an evolution of the Generation III LS1/LS6.

None of that means the Corvette isn't an awesome car, and a great deal though.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:15 PM
FYRARMS is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by meekrab
The C6 wheelbase is longer while the overall car is shorter, the car is almost two inches taller, and it's narrower
They are definitely taller and narrower than C5s. They also lack an *** of any kind. LOL