American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

Finally! a properly build roll bar by Tollefab

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 03:38 AM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Thumbs up Finally! a properly build roll bar by Tollefab

When I first acquire my Z06 Carbon I thought to myself I should not have any problem finding a properly build roll bar for track. I could not be more wrong. There are many roll bar or "chassis stiffening" bars on the market but they are either build for street or drag racing and if they are for the track I found them to lack some proper design to protect my spine in a case of roll over. What's worst than not having a roll bar in a roll over is to have a poorly engineered metal pipes behind you that could either pierce the floor or becomes a potential dagger pointing at your torso.

I then decided to do this right and commission Mike Tolle at Tollefab to custom make a roll bar that meets SCCA requirement where I can build on the roll bar to a cage in the future if needed. I got to know Mike from Driving Ambition's red twin turbo NSX. It has the best roll cage I have seen other than my GT3 Cup. Shad at Driving Ambition told me when they tech their NSX the inspector will have all the driver gather around their NSX and said "this is how you should build a roll cage!"
What I wanted from this roll bar was the following
  • Functional safety roll bar
  • Use the best material for roll bar/cage which is mild steel
  • Not heavy
  • Not intrude on rear view or the cabin
  • Bolt in design, tig weld and a work of art
  • Budget under $2500 all said and done
Well, I pick up the car today and I was floored by how well the roll bar fits. It is totally functional as a added safety equipment and what an work of art and weigh 45 lbs without mounting hardware which adds another 5 lbs and best of all ... well under $2500

Here is a photo journal of the build.

Removing the interior and getting a proper racing seat

The OMP seat in the Z06 looks great next to my GT3 Cup

Mike prepping the floor at the trunk and B-pillar to accept the bolt on roll bar

Mike welded in attachment points on the bottom of B-pillar for maximum strength

Tig welded custom foot plates for the floor of the B-pillar

Roll bar attachment at foot of B-pillar

Tight clearance of the roll bar and it has to be the right distance to the back of my OMP chair

Clearance check from the back. Trunk supporting bars are bolt on to the main hoop. Tig welds was completed once roll bars are removed from the inside of the car

Finished products and powder coat to black. What a great looking roll bar :thumbs:

It looks stunning in the car and there are no noise while driving. I can't be more pleased and can't wait to take her on the track. Thanks again Mike for completing the project in less than 2 weeks and under budget.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Daekwan is a jewel in the roughDaekwan is a jewel in the roughDaekwan is a jewel in the rough
Excellent work!