American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

Motor Trend Best Driver's Car 2012

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 04:59 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Motor Trend Best Driver's Car 2012

Originally Posted by motortrend.com
Best Driver’s Car is back! We recently gathered together the latest crop of sports cars, muscle machines, and supercars for our 2012 Best Driver’s Car competition. Those of you who follow our Twitter and Facebook feeds may have gotten a sneak peak at the competitors already, but for those of you not in the know, the nine contenders below represent some of the best-driving cars on offer this year. This week we’re previewing the competition, and next week we’ll kick off Best Driver’s Car week.
Starting Monday, August 20, we’ll start Best Driver’s Car week with the contenders hot-lapping Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, and post three laps per day until the winner is unveiled on Thursday. But you’ll especially want to tune in on Friday, when our follow-up to last year’s “World’s Greatest Drag Race” video goes live. For those wanting to bet on the winner, here are the contenders:
2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1: The Camaro ZL1 is the baddest Camaro GM has ever built. The ZL1′s supercharged 6.2-liter V-8 produces 580 hp and 556 lb-ft of torque, and it recently beat out the new Shelby Mustang in our comparison test.

2013 Ford Shelby GT500: This is a car Carroll Shelby can be proud off. As the first Mustang capable of cracking the 200-mph barrier from the factory (though we only managed 196 mph). With the 2012 Mustang Boss 302 finishing in the top five in last year’s competition, can the Shelby GT500′s 662-hp, 631-lb-ft 5.8-liter supercharged V-8 help it place higher?
2012 Jaguar XKR-S: The Jaguar XKR-S represents half of the British contingent at this year’s Best Driver’s Car. Like its American pony car rivals, this cat relies on a supercharged V-8 (displacing 5.0 liters, in this case) to produce its intoxicating 550 hp and 502 lb-ft.
2012 Lamborghini Aventador LP 700-4: The Lamborghini Aventador is the most powerful car in this year’s competition. The Aventador’s naturally aspirated 6.5-liter V-12 cranks out 691 hp and 509 lb-ft of torque, and thanks to its all-wheeldrive system and seven-speed single-clutch automated manual, it can accelerate from 0-60 mph in less time than it took you to read this sentence.

2012 McLaren MP4-12C: The McLaren MP4-12C was built as an attempt to create the world’s perfect supercar. Can the MP4-12C deliver? With 592 hp and 443 lb-ft of torque coming out of a mid-mounted twin-turbo 3.8-liter V-8, it looks promising.

2012 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Coupe Black Series: More than any other car at this year’s competition, the C63 AMG Black looks the part of a road-going race car. This DTM-style German musclecar is lighter than the standard C63 AMG, and uses engine components from the SLS AMG to boost its 6.2-liter V-8 to 510 hp and 457 lb-ft of torque.

2013 Nissan GT-R Black Edition: The 2012 Nissan GT-R came in second place during last year’s Best Driver’s Car. This year, Nissan upped the GT-R’s twin-turbo 3.8-liter V-6′s power output to 545 hp and 463 lb-ft of torque. Will that be enough for the GT-R to take home the gold?
2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S: The 991-series Porsche 911 Carrera S is arguably the best 911 yet. The Carrera S is the second-least powerful car in this year’s competition, with its rear-mounted 3.8-liter F-6 producing a comparatively scant 400 hp and 325 lb-ft of torque.

2013 Subaru BRZ: The Subaru BRZ is not only the cheapest competitor at this year’s Best Driver’s Car, but it’s also the least powerful, with its 2.0-liter F-4 making only 200 hp and 151 lb-ft of torque. As the BRZ proved during our recent $28K Sport Car comparison test though, its sublime cornering prowess more than makes up for the relative lack of power.
Now that you know the contenders, which car do you think will be crowned our 2012 Best Driver’s Car? Sound off in the comments section below and make sure to check back later this week and next for more on our 2012 Best Driver’s Car competition.
Lap Times around Laguna Seca:
MP4-12C: 592 hp, 3213lbs, Pirelli P Zero Corsa, 1:34.5
LP700: 691 hp, 4109 lbs, Pirelli P Zero Corsa, 1:35.4 GT-R: 545 hp, 3887 lbs, Dunlop SP Sportmaxx GT600 DSST CTT, 1:36.3
GT500: 662 hp, 3860 lbs, Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G2, 1:38.7
C63 BS: 510 hp, 4045 lbs, Dunlap Sport Maxx Race MO, 1:38.9
ZL1: 580 hp, 4094 lbs, Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G2, 1:39.2
991 S: 400 hp, 3329 lbs, Pirelli P Zero, 1:39.3
XKR-S: 550 hp, 4017 lbs, Pirelli P Zero, 1:42.9
BR-Z: 200 hp, 2754 lbs, Michelin Primacy HP, 1:51.3
I was discussing this on another forum, but I've never compared the performance of a Mustang to a 911..., not until now.

Looking at the base price of the $55k GT500 and the (as tested) price of the 911S of $124k, the results are astounding. I didn't want to single out just the GT500, though, the ZL1 did remarkably well, performance wise.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:31 PM
snakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to behold
Man that MP4-12C is fast. Only a second or two behind the production car track record.

That Aventador is a pig at over 4k lbs. didn't know they were that heavy. Even heavier than the GTR.

A bunch of heavy cars in this test. But they are very fast. Looks like everyone has graduated from Nissan's "how to make a pig fly" 101 class lol.

Nice read thx.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:19 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by snakebitten
Man that MP4-12C is fast. Only a second or two behind the production car track record.

That Aventador is a pig at over 4k lbs. didn't know they were that heavy. Even heavier than the GTR.

A bunch of heavy cars in this test. But they are very fast. Looks like everyone has graduated from Nissan's "how to make a pig fly" 101 class lol.

Nice read thx.
Aventador looks awesome but for the price, MP4-12C is a bargain!

Old 08-23-2012, 07:21 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by snakebitten

Nice read thx.

Yeah, I didn't know the Aventador weighed that much either...

The GT500, GT-R, C63, XKR-S, and ZL1 aren't lightweights either, though. Who knew that the Nissan would be on the lower end of the weight spectrum in a sports car comparison.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:08 AM
Canderson is a jewel in the roughCanderson is a jewel in the roughCanderson is a jewel in the rough
I really like the times from the C63BS, and it is cool to see the gt500 edge out the ZL1.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:57 AM
adamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the rough
Everything is freaking 4000lbs!!! Geez!! I'd take the lightweight "slow" car personally. I like to have a car that is manual, light weight, low to the ground, RWD, and balanced. I would love to see something similar to the GT86 platform that is a bit more radical.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:53 AM
ShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really nice
Originally Posted by adamls2
Everything is freaking 4000lbs!!! Geez!! I'd take the lightweight "slow" car personally. I like to have a car that is manual, light weight, low to the ground, RWD, and balanced. I would love to see something similar to the GT86 platform that is a bit more radical.
its called a Boxster Spyder/Cayman R

Old 09-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by ShahulX
its called a Boxster Spyder/Cayman R

Old 09-06-2012, 08:25 PM
ShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really nice
Haha it's true though... Manual, low to the ground , less than 3000 lbs, balanced (mid engine) and a true sports car feel... Oh and the slower than the 4000 lb car thing too ! Haha

Nothing a low boost turbo kit that gives me 460hp can't cure

Old 09-06-2012, 11:56 PM
adamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the roughadamls2 is a jewel in the rough
I like your thinking sir ^^^^ Turbo'ed Boxster would be one of the ultimate fun cars. Light weight maneuverability, open top, 6-speed, exelent balance and response, + turbo noises!! I think I have something new to pursue LOL

Still is pretty pricey though IMO, but that's another debate on it's own

Old 09-07-2012, 06:01 AM
You can get a decent Boxster s for pretty cheap these days. Turbo kit for tpc I think is like $6-7k.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by ShahulX
Haha it's true though... Manual, low to the ground , less than 3000 lbs, balanced (mid engine) and a true sports car feel... Oh and the slower than the 4000 lb car thing too ! Haha

Nothing a low boost turbo kit that gives me 460hp can't cure
lol! No, I wasn't suggesting otherwise. I thoroughly agree with you. One of the things that constantly makes me rethink purchasing a Porsche is their hierarchy - why don't they put a turbo in a Cayman R or Boxster Spyder? That would be one of the baddest cars on the planet...

But I would choose the PDK option.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:44 PM
tphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of light
I read this test, let me tell you from personal experience I drove both the GT premium and Camaro SS automatics. I know this is the Shelby and accordingly the ZL1, but this is my opinion on the models at large.

I can tell you personally, I absolutely hated the Camaro SS and returned it to the rental after 2 hours (and loved the Mustang GT and had it for a week and again for two days):
1) The Camaro constantly had the whole dashboard reflecting on the windshield during the day (disturbing and dangerous).
2) The Camaro was less comfortable and extremely bad in terms of dead zones (claustrophobic).
3) I hated it so much I didn't even care about the driving anymore just about retuning it. When I pressed it though, it felt very unrefined compared to the Mustang (and also compared to the challenger R/T).
4) I find it ugly too.

The magazines are nice and all for numbers, lap times, and brake distances. But they can never give you the actual feel of the car, the little things, the feeling you get driving the car, looking at it in person, steering feel, gearbox feel, brake feel, touching the buttons, moving the levers... I will never buy a car without at least riding in it, this article just emphasizes this.

Because it doesn't matter if they think the ZL1 is better, to me personally the Mustang is a 100 times better.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:51 PM
drove a Boss mustang alot... they are great cars... shifter, steering, handling etc...

as for the ZL1, you cant base it on a test drive of a rental Camaro. The Zl1 is to the base camaro as a ZR1 to a base vette. The PTM system and everything really changes the feel of the car

Old 09-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
lol! No, I wasn't suggesting otherwise. I thoroughly agree with you. One of the things that constantly makes me rethink purchasing a Porsche is their hierarchy - why don't they put a turbo in a Cayman R or Boxster Spyder? That would be one of the baddest cars on the planet...

But I would choose the PDK option.
Honestly I think its a catch 22... I work for porsche (and audi).. and you cant convince a Porsche guy that a Boxster or Cayman is a better driving car than a 911 (GT3 aside).

they just need to make the 911 mid engine w/back seats (its getting big enough)... they are slowly moving that engine forward like in the 991... SHhhhhhhhhhh dont tell

Its that dumb Top Gear clip where he says " you only buy a boxster because you cant afford a 911"... sure I cant afford a new GT3 but thats the only 911 id buy over my spyder

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Best Driver's Car 2012