American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

Need advice on a Z06

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 11:10 PM
Mclarenracer22 is infamous around these parts
Need advice on a Z06

Hello everyone, I plan on buying a 2006-2010 Z06 in the coming weeks. I currently have a Porsche 996 and ready to come back to pure American Power. Can you guys tell me what options or features I should look for? Any advice would be great. Thanks

Old 09-30-2012, 01:35 AM
ORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud of
Get an '08 or newer if you can, they have the upgraded transmission, TR6060. However, any will be satisfying the torque everywhere and 500+ hp will cause you to grin every time you drive it.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:47 AM
extanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond repute
i was happy with an 07 that i ordered with the 2lz package. i put 50k felony fun miles on it before it was time to slow down.....so i bought a porsche. you may /should need tires every 17k [insert BIG GRIn HERE]. learn/bond with the car....they can bite you. a 2 day DE will help. you will OWN the streets around you

Old 09-30-2012, 09:19 AM
c21realestategu is infamous around these parts
I've got an 08 Yellow Z06...definately the 2 LZ package for resale, awesome car and I haven't had any issues at all. Lots of good info on Corvette forum. Would love to get a Porsche at some point.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:46 PM
Mclarenracer22 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by c21realestategu
I've got an 08 Yellow Z06...definately the 2 LZ package for resale, awesome car and I haven't had any issues at all. Lots of good info on Corvette forum. Would love to get a Porsche at some point.
Porsche is cool, but so expensive to maintain. I want to be the king of the road with Z06

Old 10-01-2012, 08:58 AM
Daekwan is a jewel in the roughDaekwan is a jewel in the roughDaekwan is a jewel in the rough
I'll be in the market for the same car in the next year or two. I own a base C6 coupe now and would like to upgrade to a better/faster car.. but figured I would wait until the C7 is introduced in January before making any moves. Even if I dont go for the C7, just having it publicly introduced should bring alot of Z06 garage queens onto the used car market at great prices. No doubt many current Z06/ZR1 owners will be looking to trade up for the latest & greatest.

Originally Posted by ORYX
Get an '08 or newer if you can, they have the upgraded transmission, TR6060. However, any will be satisfying the torque everywhere and 500+ hp will cause you to grin every time you drive it.
Agreed on the '08 & newer Z06. Here are my reasons:

1) TR6060 tranny
2) Improved Steering
3) Carbon Fiber center console
4) Smaller, more efficient key fob & intergrated physical key
5) Should still be under 5yr/100K powertrain warranty.

Considering the LS7 pushes the limit of the smallblock and has known issues with valves on mostly modified cars.. I'd definitely want a Z06 with a powertrain warranty. '06s can be found as cheap as $35k right now. '08s from about 45k. For the most part they are bulletproof cars and have great reliability. Just make sure to get one that was not abused or heavily modified. Plenty of low milage 100% stock garage queens to choose from. I've just saw an '07 for sale with 1,300 miles on it for $45k. Thats an almost brand new $45k Z06!

Old 10-01-2012, 09:21 AM
Daekwan is a jewel in the roughDaekwan is a jewel in the roughDaekwan is a jewel in the rough
Forgot to talk about trim levels:

1LZ - base package. Sport seats, power drivers seat, side airbags, dual zone climate, XM satellite,
2LZ - 6 disc Bose radio, luggage shade, parcel net, memory package, power telescoping steering wheel, heated seats, steering wheel audio controls, universal home remote
3LZ - leather dash & doors.

Also look for a car with Nav. Its not great, but it does work decently enough and integrates into the HUD. That alone is a good reason to use it.

2009 come with Bluetooth integration and steering wheel controls. With the prices being so close between '08 & '09s.. I would definitey go for the '09 if at all possible. The extra powertrain warranty & BT phone would be worth the extra thousand or so. I believe '09s also have their steering feel upgraded again.. and come with the much better looking "Spyder" wheels instead of the older double spoke 5 star design.

I have a search already setup on Cars.com to look for '06-'09 Z06's, nationwide, sorted lowest to highest price. Click below to access that and see what the market is currently offering:

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchr...les&sf2Dir=ASC

Last edited by Daekwan; 10-01-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:36 AM
RoadRunnerSTi is infamous around these parts
Wow an 07 ZO6 with only 1,300 miles...

Tempted to sell my 03 C5 ZO6 with 34k miles and pick it up haha

Old 10-04-2012, 04:30 PM
extanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RoadRunnerSTi
Wow an 07 ZO6 with only 1,300 miles...

Tempted to sell my 03 C5 ZO6 with 34k miles and pick it up haha
i had 1 c5 [non z06] 2 c6,s of which 1 was a z06. the c6 z was one of the baddest cars i have ever owned ,the c5,s imho are the best looking corvettes made and the fixed roof c5 z is at the top of the list

Old 10-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Witt748 is infamous around these parts
Any year is good.

Interior is cheap and full of plastic on 1LZ, 2LZ, or 3LZ unless you get a new CE, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. It's not like 1LZ is cheap plastic and 3LZ is suddenly Porsche level of quality. I wouldn't put much thought into those packages. Also 06 and 07 1LZ's are the lightest factory C6's you can find.

I also wouldn't worry about the getting a 08 or newer because of the TR6060. I'm not going to argue that the T56 (used in 06 and 07's), is better than the TR6060, because it's not, but the T56 works just fine. TR6060 can hold more power and torque, but the T56 holds more than enough itself. I have 600rwhp on my T56 and am not even the slightest bit concerned, I want to say its good to close to 800rwhp, don't quote me but I know it's alot. So if you're planning on a forged TT build, maybe it's something to think about, otherwise don't sweat it. If you want throw an MGW shifter on the T56 and you wont be able to tell the difference.

The main thing I would be concerned about is if you want a warranty or not. If you plan on modding that answers that question, don't get one, if you want to keep it stock I would keep a warranty on the Z06. The dropped valve problem really doesn't affect many stock Z06's, but you don't want that bill if you are one of the unlucky ones.

If you mod or keep the Z06 stock without warranty I would look into having your heads worked on. SS exhaust valves with bronze guides SEEMS to be solving the dropped valve problem.

The Z06 is a great car, fix the top end of the motor and they are solid... Also might want to save for some new wheels to make it stand out from every other vette out there

Old 10-15-2012, 02:43 PM
Doesnt get much better than this:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

2008 Z06 from a Chevy dealer. $45k, under 20k miles and CPO warranty.. in addition to 5yr/100k powertrain.
Black on Black. Located in Michigan, easy to drive it back home to Canada.

CPO details:

Inspection
172-point inspection and reconditioning

Return/Exchange Policy
3-day/150-mile customer satisfaction guarantee for exchange

Participating Dealers
More than 3,600

Program Benefits
24-hour roadside assistance, vehicle history report, 5-year/100,000-mile 24/7 roadside assistance, 5-year/100,000-mile courtesy transportation and terms valid from original in-service date.

Limited Warranty
12-month/12,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, 5-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty, no deductible, transferable to subsequent owners.