American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

Are GTOs that bad?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 09:22 PM
Shaman is a splendid one to beholdShaman is a splendid one to beholdShaman is a splendid one to beholdShaman is a splendid one to beholdShaman is a splendid one to beholdShaman is a splendid one to beholdShaman is a splendid one to beholdShaman is a splendid one to behold
Are GTOs that bad?

Been looking at F-bodies, and for a little more, I could get into a GTO. I don't want to get into C5 pricing, but there seem to be a few GTO, both LS1 and 2 in range. What is it about the GTO that is niche? I have wanted one since I saw a Monaro in Sydney, and was excited they "made" it to the states, but they didn't take off as much as I thought they would.

Aside from the suspension problems, what else is so bad?

Old 11-20-2012, 04:28 AM
RoadRunnerSTi is infamous around these parts
They are heavy... They are not very attractive to a lot of people... I would take the 6.0l LS2 all day long though if I had to pick one.

I know of a couple that autoX pretty successfully, so they are not bad cars at all.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:03 AM
Shaman is a splendid one to beholdShaman is a splendid one to beholdShaman is a splendid one to beholdShaman is a splendid one to beholdShaman is a splendid one to beholdShaman is a splendid one to beholdShaman is a splendid one to beholdShaman is a splendid one to behold
I was looking at one for a DD. I think that look great, but wonder about little issues, and finding parts if something happens

Old 11-20-2012, 09:35 AM
extanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond repute
arent they 4dr

Old 11-20-2012, 09:37 AM
RoadRunnerSTi is infamous around these parts
No... Your thinking of the G8 I think.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:06 AM
extanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond repute
thanks....i am old

Old 11-20-2012, 11:01 AM
ALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant future
My cousin had one and it was a nice car but the handling wasnt that great. You can make them fast for cheap and they sound great thats for sure. It really wasnt as much fun to drive as I hoped it would be. To be honest IMO my 3 series and GTI were both more fun to drive than a stock GTO. After his mods then it was more fun than my GTI but not as much fun as my 3 series. Once again just my opinion.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:31 PM
No worries Alpine, opinions are fine. I have also been looking into the TSI VWs, but don't know alot about them.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by extanker
arent they 4dr
Missed this. I wish that that had brought the 4 door as well.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:57 PM
GCDC is infamous around these parts
The GTO is a nice car for the price. The LS2 GTOs have plenty of go. I've driven a '05 with just a shifter, intake, and drag radials that ran 12.9@ 108. The 05-06 have better brakes as well. A new shifter is a must mod on the GTOs. The interior is a lot more comfortable than a F-body.

The only downside to the GTO is the weight. Since it sounds like you enjoy the styling.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:28 PM
GCDC, from what I have read, a suspension rebuild is needed. What is wrong with the shifter. I have also read that the brakes and rear end on the 05-06 is better than the 04. 04 GTO sounds worse off than the 03 SRT-4 and the 97 Grand Prix.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:34 AM
GCDC is infamous around these parts
The shifter doesn't inspire confidence when bangin' through the gears in the 6speed. It feels soft and uninspiring. The suspension is not horrible, but you can definantly tell it's a 3800+lb car when going through corners.

The 04 GTO is down 50 hp, but that difference can be made up quick with aftermarket parts for cheap. The ls1/2 are great motors for making reliable power.