American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

GT500 or ZL1?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 01:29 PM
vdavie is infamous around these parts
GT500 or ZL1?

Just sold my Lambo and want to get back into some American stuff. Have been looking for a low mile used Zl1 or GT500. The Camaro seems to handle better, yes i saw the Road and Track test but they do say the Camaro handles better even thought the GT was faster,,brakes started fading on the Mustang, This is going to be just a back road, track car not driving everyday. Anybody drive the 2 cars?

Thanks,
Vince

Old 09-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
I drove both and ended up with a Caddie CTS-V coupe. Better in every way and a set of Eibach springs with the factory magnetic ride and a set of 255/295 Michelin Pilot Super Sports and my custom alignment make it handle great!!! Also, with a pulley, plugs, injectors, dyno tune it makes more power then the ZL1 easily. Mine is at 565/580 wheel and when the ZR1 cam goes in, I'll be at 605-610 rwhp and still get 20mpg on the why.

Maybe be another option for you. I also DD mine, it is that nice!

Now, if not, I'd dot he ZL1 but do the proper mods and tune it as well.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:47 PM
GT500RedStripe has a reputation beyond reputeGT500RedStripe has a reputation beyond reputeGT500RedStripe has a reputation beyond reputeGT500RedStripe has a reputation beyond reputeGT500RedStripe has a reputation beyond reputeGT500RedStripe has a reputation beyond reputeGT500RedStripe has a reputation beyond reputeGT500RedStripe has a reputation beyond reputeGT500RedStripe has a reputation beyond reputeGT500RedStripe has a reputation beyond reputeGT500RedStripe has a reputation beyond repute
I'd like to hear your unbiased comments after you test-drive them both. Simple, bolt-on power mods are easy and plentiful for the Mustang.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:31 AM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GT500RedStripe
I'd like to hear your unbiased comments after you test-drive them both. Simple, bolt-on power mods are easy and plentiful for the Mustang.
Here are mine. I drove the 2012 GT500 (not the '13) and 2012 ZL1.

Pretty simple. I drove a 911S, 911TT, and an Audi S5 V8 coupe before my next purchase and I wanted to get back into a V8 American coupe so when I got in the GT500, the interior bits and pieces, fit/finish was just not what I wanted and the Camaro was a bit to retro-like with little to offer. Also, both cars rear seats were pretty small even for my 7 & 11 year old just in case they needed to ride with dad!

As far as mods go, both have similar potential but the ride was better in the ZL1 (and clutch pressure) (this was going to be my DD and occasional drag strip car).

After all that, I went and drove a CTS-V coupe and as far as American cars go, the interior was very nice, the leather/alcantra Recaro seats were 911 like but more comfortable, and the handling/brakes were fantastic! Being supercharged as well, mod potential is the same as the GT500 and ZL1.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:34 AM
GT500RedStripe has a reputation beyond reputeGT500RedStripe has a reputation beyond reputeGT500RedStripe has a reputation beyond reputeGT500RedStripe has a reputation beyond reputeGT500RedStripe has a reputation beyond reputeGT500RedStripe has a reputation beyond reputeGT500RedStripe has a reputation beyond reputeGT500RedStripe has a reputation beyond reputeGT500RedStripe has a reputation beyond reputeGT500RedStripe has a reputation beyond reputeGT500RedStripe has a reputation beyond repute
My question was for the OP.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:33 PM
Daekwan is a jewel in the roughDaekwan is a jewel in the roughDaekwan is a jewel in the rough
Neither. Get the C7 Stingray.

Its cheaper, newer and much more well rounded. Want more power? Put a $5000 supercharger on it and make 700hp.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:24 AM
My question was for the OP.
After I wrote the reply I noticed that but since I was looking at the same cars as the OP I figure I'd leave mine as well.

Can't have too much info on buying $50K+ cars.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by Daekwan
Neither. Get the C7 Stingray.

Its cheaper, newer and much more well rounded. Want more power? Put a $5000 supercharger on it and make 700hp.
That's another option as long as you dont need room for 4.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:36 PM
ALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant future
How about the upcoming Z28? Or save a few bucks and get a Boss? If I had to choose between the two cars above I would go with the GT500. like the magnectic ride on ZL1 but the lighter weight of the GT500.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:55 PM
The Boss is not being produced. Rumor of a Boss 351 has been around which would be very cool. Here is my GT500 Saturday morning in Maryland:

Old 09-20-2013, 08:16 AM
ALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant future
The Boss is not being produced. Rumor of a Boss 351 has been around which would be very cool. Here is my GT500 Saturday morning in Maryland: GT500 at Mason Dixon Dragway 091413 - YouTube

I know and he mentioned lightly used. Awesome vid

Old 09-20-2013, 08:37 AM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
neither gtr.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:31 AM
fstrnyu is infamous around these parts
I'm biased, GT500 for me. If you like to see out of any window other than the windshield you're not going to like the ZL1 and there just isn't a whole lot out there for it for mods compared to the GT500. My car is daily drivable, makes 880hp (752rwhp) on pump gas, 980hp (832rwhp) on C16 and gets 20mpg on the highway and nearly everything on the car came off a shelf (AND it's for sale!!!).

Old 09-22-2013, 11:17 PM
Lancevfx is infamous around these parts
I'm biased with the GT500 series line as well; GT500 has that real American muscle sound that I will never hear from any other cars. Never have driven a Z, so I can't say.
Why did you sell your lambo anyways?

Old 10-05-2013, 09:47 AM
brainpa is infamous around these parts
Gt500

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT500 or ZL1?