American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

SRT-8 Charger a pleasant surprise!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 06:09 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
SRT-8 Charger a pleasant surprise!

I'd been sedan shopping for like 6 months and drove alot of cars including S8, S4, 535ix, M35x, GS350awd, and was hoping to end up in an AWD car. Mostly b/c I like the looks and was bored I took a Charger SRT-8 out for a spin last Wed. It impressed me so much i gave up my AWD idea and now have a black RWD monster. I was expecting the engine to be awesome but the suspension/steering/road feel was way better than I expected. B/C I don't drive this car at 10/10ths and mostly use it as a DD sometimes toting 2 kids and the wife, it strikes a great balance for sporty/useful. I'm hoping this foray into American cars, with the last being 1995, isn't one of visual love but quality dissapointment. I'll cut it some slack b/c it's a Dodge and hope I get pleasantly surprised on that front. The car has a built in 0-60 timer and they must be lying about the HP/TQ b/c it weighs a heavy 4300 lbs and few different guys have run 4.4-4.8 verified by outside sources. Chack one out if you are in the market and I guarantee you'll be surprised too.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:58 AM
gsc
gsc has a brilliant futuregsc has a brilliant futuregsc has a brilliant futuregsc has a brilliant futuregsc has a brilliant futuregsc has a brilliant futuregsc has a brilliant futuregsc has a brilliant futuregsc has a brilliant futuregsc has a brilliant futuregsc has a brilliant future
Good luck with the new ride. Do you prefer it over the 545?

Old 08-17-2007, 06:59 AM
zen garage is infamous around these parts
i have owned every srt product except the neon....the charger was a nice ride, quick and well mannered. my only complaint was the plastic feel of the interior...tint the windows, tint the tails, take off the spears on the doors and you got one sexy car

Old 08-17-2007, 08:15 AM
930chas is a name known to all930chas is a name known to all930chas is a name known to all930chas is a name known to all930chas is a name known to all930chas is a name known to all
Congrats!! The SRT line is truly a surprise, but I definitely agree, the plastics in the interior belong on a trash can, not the interior of a $40k automobile.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Bobby_P is infamous around these parts
I am in the same boat as you...I have owned an E55 and Jag. XJR. Tried the Charger on a whim. The car does have its short-comings (plastic!!), but it is fun as all hell.

Put the Zoomers cat-back exhaust on and you will really love the car.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:06 AM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
can u get the plastic parts wrapped in leather from a good shop or anything like that. i also admire the chargers srt-8s. they are so mean looking and sounds so good.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:33 PM
slamnss is infamous around these parts
Welcome to the SRT world, Good luck Enjoy.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:30 AM
Banned
*STATUS* is infamous around these parts
Ive got to give it to the Big Three the SRT cars are AWESOME

Old 08-18-2007, 02:05 PM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
The 545 drives like a "smaller" car but it isn't a whole lot smaller. You can't compare the HP/TQ of the 2 and one of my beefs with BMWs has been escalating HP without TQ following along. The Charger is more supple in ride even with 20s vs. 18s. Steering is pretty crisp on the Charger and the BMW has the active steering, which I mostly like, but occassionally it messes with you. I wish the Charger had built in parking sensors F & R. As for the plastic issue, I don't give two *****. I'm in the car to drive, which primarily involves holding the wheel, using my feet (foot in this case) and looking out the window. I really don't have time to stare around or touch things other than the occassional radio button or HVAC control. I would never expect a Dodge and a 40+K car to compete with BMW, M-B or Audi on the "luxury" front. I'm real glad they spent the money where they did b/c otherwise the car probably wouldn't be for me.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:32 PM
JT3
JT3 is infamous around these partsJT3 is infamous around these parts
Great bang for the buck.....nice OEM wheels too.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:16 AM
I revived my thread from a few years ago b/c I actually bought a second Charger after turning back in the leased one. So far I've done the Mopar exhaust that I really like, tinted the windows and put on black gloss rims. Santa brought me the Predator for Christmas, which I'll team with a cold-air intake and see how that goes. The 2009 feels "stronger" than the 2007 but probably due to the transmission more than anything.

Attached Images  
Old 12-26-2009, 09:57 AM
SINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Red Devil
I revived my thread from a few years ago b/c I actually bought a second Charger after turning back in the leased one. So far I've done the Mopar exhaust that I really like, tinted the windows and put on black gloss rims. Santa brought me the Predator for Christmas, which I'll team with a cold-air intake and see how that goes. The 2009 feels "stronger" than the 2007 but probably due to the transmission more than anything.
Nice man, looks mean in black!

Old 12-26-2009, 04:29 PM
ORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud of
One of the meanest looking cars on the road.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:36 PM
SINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ORYX
One of the meanest looking cars on the road.
And the new ones come out next year. I hope they don't ruin it. If they improve the interior a lot, I might pick one up as my new daily driver. But as much as I like them I have had horrible luck with the Chryslers I have owned in the past.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:40 AM
Originally Posted by SINISTR Z06
And the new ones come out next year. I hope they don't ruin it. If they improve the interior a lot, I might pick one up as my new daily driver. But as much as I like them I have had horrible luck with the Chryslers I have owned in the past.
I figured they would probably ruin it, which is why I got another. 50% of it is that "mean" look but the rest is how it performs overall. It suits my taste almost perfectly. The interior is mostly crap but it has all the necessary stuff like HID, Nav, Bluetooth, etc. and I prefer it over my friend's new CTS-V that I drove. Lots to like on the CTS-V, but for 30-grand more and looking a lot like the other million CTS's bopping around, I'll take the Charger. There's some talk on the forums that the next LX platform & SRT versions might still have great performance, but that remains to be seen. Also, the esthetic change may or may not be any good. Time will tell ...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SRT-8 Charger a pleasant surprise!