Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Some pre-newbie advice on a Vanquish S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 08:18 PM
opalw208 is infamous around these parts
Some pre-newbie advice on a Vanquish S

So, the time has almost come for me to purchase a pre-owned Vanquish S. Can you guys give me some advice on what to avoid, or what to look for?

any help would be appreciated.

TIA,

AL

Old 07-24-2008, 01:25 AM
X50DAN is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up Vanquish S....

Originally Posted by opalw208
So, the time has almost come for me to purchase a pre-owned Vanquish S. Can you guys give me some advice on what to avoid, or what to look for?

any help would be appreciated.

TIA,

AL
Here's a forum where lots of good info is available. You'll need to register to access the threads. http://www.amoc.org/index.php?option...per&Itemid=118

I'll give you a quick few things to consider:

1) Narrow down your search to an '06 (last model year in U.S.). They have a bespoke AM center dash/console. '05's have Jaguar switchgear; not desirable.

2) Road noise is substantially reduced in cars with the optional rear seat pkg.

3) 'Assume you've actually driven one, and can live with idiocyncracies of SMG tranny.

4) Make sure car has had it's scheduled maintenance/service/inspections; relative to it's mileage. They are expensive, and some owners have skipped/skimped them.

5) If still under factory warranty, get dealer to inspect/certify and buy extended factory warranty. Not cheap, but good insurance against potential very costly repairs.

FWIW, IMO, that car is the most visceral and satisfying of any car I've ever driven. Period. You will own a rare beauty.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:21 AM
StrikerX50 is infamous around these partsStrikerX50 is infamous around these parts
If you really can't stand the flappy-paddle gearbox, I would look around for a Vanquish S that's been fitted with a six-speed manual gearbox. I think it's the same unit from the DB9.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:14 AM
opalw208 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by X50DAN
Here's a forum where lots of good info is available. You'll need to register to access the threads. http://www.amoc.org/index.php?option...per&Itemid=118

I'll give you a quick few things to consider:

1) Narrow down your search to an '06 (last model year in U.S.). They have a bespoke AM center dash/console. '05's have Jaguar switchgear; not desirable.

2) Road noise is substantially reduced in cars with the optional rear seat pkg.

3) 'Assume you've actually driven one, and can live with idiocyncracies of SMG tranny.

4) Make sure car has had it's scheduled maintenance/service/inspections; relative to it's mileage. They are expensive, and some owners have skipped/skimped them.

5) If still under factory warranty, get dealer to inspect/certify and buy extended factory warranty. Not cheap, but good insurance against potential very costly repairs.

FWIW, IMO, that car is the most visceral and satisfying of any car I've ever driven. Period. You will own a rare beauty.
thank you for your help. I'll definitely check out that other forum you gave me the link to!

I just can't wait until the time comes...... =)