Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Spacers for use with MY09 AM sportspack

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 10:05 AM
DocN is infamous around these parts
Spacers for use with MY09 AM sportspack

I'm looking for spacers for use with MY09 AM sportspack wheels.

Does anybody know of spacers with more than 11mm width ?

Thanks
Doc

Old 07-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Hey Doc,

RSC has hubcentric spacers available for the Vantage. We don't stock these items but manufacture each to customer's specification. 11mm would be no problem at all. Price is $460.00/set.

I'm just sending you an email with more details.

Cheers,

Stuart

Old 07-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Michael 996TT is infamous around these parts
Stuart - does this price include wheel "lug nuts" too ?

Old 07-15-2009, 09:02 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Contact Motorsport Technology in California. They make custom spacers for everything. I paid $300 for a set of 4 custom spacers (made to my specific measurements) that were both hub centric and wheel centric at the same time. I had 37mm spacers and 23mm spacers made to allow fitment of ZR1 wheels to my Jaguar XJR-S.

If only hub centric is needed they are cheaper. These guys are top notch - they really know what they are doing andf the quality is impecable.

Stevo

Old 07-16-2009, 01:18 AM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Michael 996TT
Stuart - does this price include wheel "lug nuts" too ?
Yes you get a set of lug bolts with the spacers.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:33 AM
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Contact Motorsport Technology in California. They make custom spacers for everything. (..) that were both hub centric and wheel centric at the same time.(..)
Stevo, I'm familiar with hub centric spacers but in what way is a hub and wheel centric spacer different to these ?

Old 07-16-2009, 07:07 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DocN
Stevo, I'm familiar with hub centric spacers but in what way is a hub and wheel centric spacer different to these ?
A hub centric spacer is just that, centric to the hub of the car. But in most cases you still want the wheel to be centered on the spacer itself, so in that case the spacer is 'wheel centric' also. For example, in my case, the Jaguar hub is 74mm so there is a 74mm bore in the spacer. But the wheel has a bore of 70mm, so the wheel side of the spacer has a protruding 'lip' of 70mm by 6mm to engage the wheel. So everything is centric; wheel, spacer, hub. No flopping around.

Like I said, check out Motorsport Technology's web site. A lot of info there and these are top quality.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:31 AM
Stevo - this is very interesting, so in theory I could finally get the BBS wheels I have wanted (made w/ P-cars pattern not AM) ... hmmm ... I'll check them out ... thanks !

Old 07-16-2009, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by Michael 996TT
Stevo - this is very interesting, so in theory I could finally get the BBS wheels I have wanted (made w/ P-cars pattern not AM) ... hmmm ... I'll check them out ... thanks !
Unfortunately it is a little more complicated than that. If the required spacer isn't thick enough, then the wheel must have deep enough interlug pockets to accommodate the car's protruding lugs (and maybe nuts as well). Some wheels (esp. cast wheels) have these pockets while others do not. The thicker the spacer (within reason) the easier it is to solve this problem. And a thicker spacer means that you need a wheel with a high offset as compared to the target offset that you are trying to hit.

For example, I used Corvette wheels on my XJR-S which had a 56mm offset whereas I needed about 33mm in the rear of my car. So I had 23mm spacers made. The spacers, when bolted to the hub, resulted in the short open-ended nuts being just below the surface of the spacer with the lugs themselves protruding a few mm above the surface. The wheels had pretty deep pockets between the lug holes, so the protruding lugs were able to penetrate into these pockets. In the front, I needed only 19mm offset so I had 37mm spacers made and in that case neither the lug nuts nor the lugs protruded beyound the spacer surface.

Since the Vantage and DB9 use high offset wheels to begine with (50mm and 62mm) in order to fit a spacer of any reasonable thickness, you would need a P-car wheel (or any wheel) with an offset of 70mm to 82mm, which might be very hard to find.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:19 AM
stearnsn is infamous around these parts
If you get this figured out Michael I am anxious to see photos.

The only wheel I have liked as well as the stock ones is the BBS that AM puts on the GT2.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Stevo - Good info, thanks again for the help. I probably have an issue w/ my lowered car too (turning/rubbing) - still worth checking out even if low prob. of success.

Stearnsn - that was kinda where I was going, though those are center/single lug - like now on the 2010 Porsche GT3 "street" version. BBS does make a very similar version w/ 5 lugs - just not w/ AM bolt spacing. I was able to crawl all around the Drayson Vantage at Sebring earlier this year. Very nice set up but far from our street cars. Probably easier to convert the Vantage GT2 to "street" than other way around !!!

Old 07-16-2009, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
A hub centric spacer is just that, centric to the hub of the car. But in most cases you still want the wheel to be centered on the spacer itself, so in that case the spacer is 'wheel centric' also. For example, in my case, the Jaguar hub is 74mm so there is a 74mm bore in the spacer. But the wheel has a bore of 70mm, so the wheel side of the spacer has a protruding 'lip' of 70mm by 6mm to engage the wheel. So everything is centric; wheel, spacer, hub. No flopping around.
Thanks, now I understand.

I implicitly assumed that spacers from lets say 10mm onwards do have a wheel centric lip too. I never saw some without.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:36 PM
I believe our stock wheels are lug centric but the ring is nice for changing them.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Michael, have you checked out the BBS offset to see if a wide spacer that includes a new bolt pattern would work? I think you would need at least 25mm or so to get the new studs into it.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by DocN
Thanks, now I understand.

I implicitly assumed that spacers from lets say 10mm onwards do have a wheel centric lip too. I never saw some without.
That's generally a safe assumption. Just for clarification (I've had emails from a couple of people) RSC can supply spacers ordered to your own specified sizes front and rear. They are both hub and wheel centric and include lugs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Spacers for use with MY09 AM sportspack