Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

RSC Tuning Exhaust Installed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 02:01 PM
alevine has a spectacular aura aboutalevine has a spectacular aura about
RSC Tuning Exhaust Installed!

After much anticipation I finally received my RSC Tuning Super Sport Exhaust late last week. The unit I purchased is the “louder” version of RSC’s updated design that is much more aesthetically pleasing than their original design. The pictures on their website accurately reflect the design and quality of this piece. I have also attached some pics for your reference. The welds are very professional and the unit is made of steel polished to a bright finish. It weighs much, much less than the original OE exhaust. I did not weigh the 2 for comparison but the weight savings are huge! ☺

I did the install myself with a friend on Saturday. Both of us are pretty mechanically inclined so we were expecting a 2 to 3 hour job max. It ending up taking us about 5 hours for a few reasons. First, we went deliberately slow in an effort not to miss or damage anything upon removal of the original system. Second, there were no directions or instructions included with the exhaust so we were kind of in the dark. Third, I had to go to NAPA (auto parts store) to get two doughnut gaskets to mate the new exhaust to the post cat section of the OE exhaust. The dealer was out of stock on the gaskets (crazy that the dealer would not stock a part one would think would be quite common. You almost need this anytime you disable an exhaust for anything????) and we could not get the original gasket off the original exhaust as some had suggested. The trip to NAPA took 1 ˝ hours. I used a generic doughnut gasket and it worked fine. We got a good seal and there are no leaks. Note to others-purchase a pair of gaskets BEFORE you disassemble everything. It will make the job much easier than having to explain to the NAPA parts guy that you are replacing an exhaust gasket on an Aston Martin. He looked at me like I was from another planet.

Also, let me advise that a lift is almost necessary if you plan to do this yourself. I can’t imagine doing this job on my back without adequate clearance or coverage. It would be a nightmare.

The removal of the original exhaust took much longer than installing the new one as the new one is much smaller and you can easily maneuver it around under the car. i.e. there is additional clearance with the new one and it is not too heavy. I would recommend anyone doing this job to have a buddy on-hand as you will need someone to help hold things in-place while you bolt/un-bolt parts, etc. Also, make sure you have some socket extensions as some of the bolts and screws can be awkward to reach. The most difficult part is the removal and alignment of the tips. Now that I have done this I am confident I can do the job in two hours or so. I’m glad I did it as 1.) I enjoy doing this stuff and tinkering with my car and 2.) I saved ~$500 from a dealer install. ☺

As for the sound, it is awesome! I am very pleased. This is how the car should have sounded from the factory. It is deeper in growl in comparison to a fuse 22 pull. There is no drone or resonance whatsoever. It is very smooth. The car now has a more aggressive sound much lower in the RPM range than the original where it was most needed. It is not too loud at all. In fact, I was kind of hoping it would be a little louder than it actually is. When you are not heavy on the gas and just cruising it is very quiet and totally manageable. This is a system you could easily live with everyday and not ****-off your neighbors if desired. However, push the pedal to the carpet and it rips and tears like it should! I am very happy with the purchase and Stuart from RSC was honest, helpful and a pleasure to work with. As for performance, who know but my butt dyno picks up a small gain. It could be mental as it sounds awesome or it really could be a combination of better flow and weight savings. Whatever it is I am pleased.

I would highly recommend this product if you are in the market for an aftermarket system. BTW, I have no affiliation with Stuart or RSC. I’m just a happy customer.

BTW, I will post some video later on once I get a buddy to help with the video camera. Also, if there is anyone in Chicago that is contemplating one of these and would like to hear my car I would be happy to meet up and share the love.

Adam

Attached Images    
Old 08-03-2009, 03:32 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Thanks for such a great review Adam and really nice to hear how happy you are - it's very rewarding for us. If you're finding the sound level just a little below your ideal range that's not such a bad thing, means it won't be way too loud for you if you decide to throw some 200 cell cats on later in the year!

Originally Posted by alevine
After much anticipation I finally received my RSC Tuning Super Sport Exhaust late last week. The unit I purchased is the “louder” version of RSC’s updated design that is much more aesthetically pleasing than their original design. The pictures on their website accurately reflect the design and quality of this piece. I have also attached some pics for your reference. The welds are very professional and the unit is made of steel polished to a bright finish. It weighs much, much less than the original OE exhaust. I did not weigh the 2 for comparison but the weight savings are huge! ☺

I did the install myself with a friend on Saturday. Both of us are pretty mechanically inclined so we were expecting a 2 to 3 hour job max. It ending up taking us about 5 hours for a few reasons. First, we went deliberately slow in an effort not to miss or damage anything upon removal of the original system. Second, there were no directions or instructions included with the exhaust so we were kind of in the dark. Third, I had to go to NAPA (auto parts store) to get two doughnut gaskets to mate the new exhaust to the post cat section of the OE exhaust. The dealer was out of stock on the gaskets (crazy that the dealer would not stock a part one would think would be quite common. You almost need this anytime you disable an exhaust for anything????) and we could not get the original gasket off the original exhaust as some had suggested. The trip to NAPA took 1 ˝ hours. I used a generic doughnut gasket and it worked fine. We got a good seal and there are no leaks. Note to others-purchase a pair of gaskets BEFORE you disassemble everything. It will make the job much easier than having to explain to the NAPA parts guy that you are replacing an exhaust gasket on an Aston Martin. He looked at me like I was from another planet.

Also, let me advise that a lift is almost necessary if you plan to do this yourself. I can’t imagine doing this job on my back without adequate clearance or coverage. It would be a nightmare.

The removal of the original exhaust took much longer than installing the new one as the new one is much smaller and you can easily maneuver it around under the car. i.e. there is additional clearance with the new one and it is not too heavy. I would recommend anyone doing this job to have a buddy on-hand as you will need someone to help hold things in-place while you bolt/un-bolt parts, etc. Also, make sure you have some socket extensions as some of the bolts and screws can be awkward to reach. The most difficult part is the removal and alignment of the tips. Now that I have done this I am confident I can do the job in two hours or so. I’m glad I did it as 1.) I enjoy doing this stuff and tinkering with my car and 2.) I saved ~$500 from a dealer install. ☺

As for the sound, it is awesome! I am very pleased. This is how the car should have sounded from the factory. It is deeper in growl in comparison to a fuse 22 pull. There is no drone or resonance whatsoever. It is very smooth. The car now has a more aggressive sound much lower in the RPM range than the original where it was most needed. It is not too loud at all. In fact, I was kind of hoping it would be a little louder than it actually is. When you are not heavy on the gas and just cruising it is very quiet and totally manageable. This is a system you could easily live with everyday and not ****-off your neighbors if desired. However, push the pedal to the carpet and it rips and tears like it should! I am very happy with the purchase and Stuart from RSC was honest, helpful and a pleasure to work with. As for performance, who know but my butt dyno picks up a small gain. It could be mental as it sounds awesome or it really could be a combination of better flow and weight savings. Whatever it is I am pleased.

I would highly recommend this product if you are in the market for an aftermarket system. BTW, I have no affiliation with Stuart or RSC. I’m just a happy customer.

BTW, I will post some video later on once I get a buddy to help with the video camera. Also, if there is anyone in Chicago that is contemplating one of these and would like to hear my car I would be happy to meet up and share the love.

Adam

Old 08-04-2009, 08:18 AM
Michael 996TT is infamous around these parts
Glad to hear you are enjoying the new "toy" ... congrats on the DIY !!!

Now think about the next steps ... and yes if you did the exhaust you can do this stuff too ...the 200 cell cats give it even more sound ... and a lot more air will punch thru too (vs. 600 cell you have now)... and drop in the K&Ns ... and then drill a couple of holes in the stock air box ... now you have the engine "breathing" as much as you can w/o spending a ton of money on parts that do the same thing ... and you will pick up a few more horses ...

Been there ... done it ... waiting on the Team-shirt !!!

Old 08-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Thanks. I was thinking about the K&N air filter next as well as the Sportshift upgrade for the TCU. However, I have not been able to locate anyone who has had the TCU upgrade done. I would like to try this one before I purchase as I want to make certain it is for me. Upgraded 200 cell cats are also in the cards.

Adam

Old 08-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Michael 996TT is infamous around these parts
You can certainly do the K&Ns when you need new filters, indep' of other mods. I put the correct K&N part number & install tips on a prev. thread (PN CM-4508, need Qty 2) The "drill the box" thing will help some too ... just a hoot drilling holes into an AM part !!!
I do not want to scare you but the 200 cell cats ... they will open the sound. We tried a few exhausts and I think I have the prototype RSC "quiet" version .. it is a nice combo w/ 200 cells so you are not over the top ... the QS "loudest" version and 200 cell cats ... they could hear you in the next county ... it was louder than the current Drayson GT2 Vantage

I have a 6speed and have not driven an upgraded TCU ... thus no comments, although I sure liked driving the 2009 SS

Old 08-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by alevine
Thanks. I was thinking about the K&N air filter next as well as the Sportshift upgrade for the TCU. However, I have not been able to locate anyone who has had the TCU upgrade done. I would like to try this one before I purchase as I want to make certain it is for me. Upgraded 200 cell cats are also in the cards.

Adam
Adam I just confirmed to day that we are doing a TCU upgrade for a customer who is pretty close to you and he has told me he's happy to demonstrate to anyone who is interested. Give me a couple of weeks and I should be able to set something up for you.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:57 AM
amv8guy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Michael 996TT
You can certainly do the K&Ns when you need new filters, indep' of other mods. I put the correct K&N part number & install tips on a prev. thread (PN CM-4508, need Qty 2) The "drill the box" thing will help some too ... just a hoot drilling holes into an AM part !!!
I do not want to scare you but the 200 cell cats ... they will open the sound. We tried a few exhausts and I think I have the prototype RSC "quiet" version .. it is a nice combo w/ 200 cells so you are not over the top ... the QS "loudest" version and 200 cell cats ... they could hear you in the next county ... it was louder than the current Drayson GT2 Vantage

I have a 6speed and have not driven an upgraded TCU ... thus no comments, although I sure liked driving the 2009 SS
Hey, is this K and N filter the universal one that looks like this ??
Does it just bolt straight on to the existing filter points in the box ??

Cheers!!

Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Stuart@RSC
Adam I just confirmed to day that we are doing a TCU upgrade for a customer who is pretty close to you and he has told me he's happy to demonstrate to anyone who is interested. Give me a couple of weeks and I should be able to set something up for you.
Stuart:

Great. Please keep me posted as I am very interested! Much appreciated.

Adam