Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

sat nav still thinks car is in TX

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Holson is infamous around these parts
sat nav still thinks car is in TX

So my sat nav still thinks that it's in TX (that's where the car's from). I guess it must hate the snow/freezing rain up here...

ive loaded in the east dvd and I think it works because I can query roads and such in MA

looking at the gps information, i only get 3 satellites, sometimes 0 and no lat-lon info.. which is probably why it's not figuring out where it really is and relies on the internal sensors instead.

does anybody know how to force it to figure out where it is?

or better yet - where is the gps antenna? maybe the connection is messed up?

Old 10-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Envy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond repute
It's cause texas is awesome I would take it to the dealer and have them run a diagnostic on it

Old 10-16-2009, 08:04 PM
ORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud of
It just misses home.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:35 PM
it snowed this morning... maybe it's still in denial...

Old 10-16-2009, 10:05 PM
MotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to behold
When the weather is better. Park it in an open area and let the GPS acquire statelites signal. If it doesn't acquire signal after 15-20 minutes, try disconnecting the battery and retry. Make sure you have all navi and radio codes but I don't have an Aston so I am not sure if that will work or if you have any anti-theft codes on your system.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by MotorsportsR
When the weather is better. Park it in an open area and let the GPS acquire statelites signal. If it doesn't acquire signal after 15-20 minutes, try disconnecting the battery and retry. Make sure you have all navi and radio codes but I don't have an Aston so I am not sure if that will work or if you have any anti-theft codes on your system.

thanks!

it worked! it was sunny for once and it finally realized that it's in MA

-Holson-

Old 10-17-2009, 12:46 PM
SonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of light
Now all you need to do is upgrade the DVDs from 2006 to 2009 by purchasing or getting a copy of the Navteq Volvo S60 set. Navteq, the manufacturer of the Aston GPS DVD program, threw the Volvo DVDs on the market not too long ago for $199. This info was posted on amoc.org

Old 10-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by SonicKrack
Now all you need to do is upgrade the DVDs from 2006 to 2009 by purchasing or getting a copy of the Navteq Volvo S60 set. Navteq, the manufacturer of the Aston GPS DVD program, threw the Volvo DVDs on the market not too long ago for $199. This info was posted on amoc.org
yeah, I saw that on AMOC. Still debating if it's worth it.

Speaking of the GPS...

I used it this morning to drive to the shop to get an oil change and new O2 sensors and I thought the standard nav was pretty good!

It's at least as good as the one in my previous BMW (335i coupe) - I know that doesn't say much... but it works. I wish the map graphics and GUI graphics/colors are better.. I switched to the gray theme and it blends in better with the rest of the interior.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:50 PM
SonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of light
To tell you the truth I am not using the GPS at all... There are four major roads in Montana, if I get lost I am the biggest dumb@$$ in the world LOL. But yes, the GPS is nice, much nicer than my M3 or X5's.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:36 PM
cshsia is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Holson
yeah, I saw that on AMOC. Still debating if it's worth it.

Speaking of the GPS...

I used it this morning to drive to the shop to get an oil change and new O2 sensors and I thought the standard nav was pretty good!

It's at least as good as the one in my previous BMW (335i coupe) - I know that doesn't say much... but it works. I wish the map graphics and GUI graphics/colors are better.. I switched to the gray theme and it blends in better with the rest of the interior.
Hi Holson,

I thought I'd catch you on your thread instead of resurrecting my old one.

How's life in the first months of getting the Vantage? As compared to the 335i. It's obviously a different class vehicle, but with the early snow in Boston (I know because I watched football last weekend), how's the car treating you as your primary vehicle.

btw, you got two accounts of this forum?

(I'm still waiting to move my 3-vert lease, while shopping around for the winter)

Old 10-21-2009, 02:45 PM
hey there

yah i registered the other one since i forgot what email/password i used for this account.. then i figured it out. not sure how to merge the two accounts...

but anyway

the car's awesome but honestly as a day to day car in stop and go traffic, crap weather, angry drivers, etc. it's a bit painful. Once in a while I see people stop in traffic, take pictures of the vantage and smile. I suppose it made them happy which makes it worth it. But, I think I'd need to get a daily driver of some sort if I drive a lot... (i don't so i won't)

The other thing is I'm moving out to CA, so it might be completely different there...

-Holson-

Old 10-21-2009, 07:43 PM
When I picked mine up in San Francisco, I saw three Astons between the airport and Marin Aston Martin. In Montana however, it is the ONLY ONE !!! Like in Highlander hehehe... there can be only ONE!!!

Last edited by SonicKrack; 10-21-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:13 PM
eelton is infamous around these parts
Old thread, but I have the same problem. Well, almost--my nav thinks it's in Florida.

I've had the car in Chicago for a month, and I've been driving around most of the time with the nav on, including some very sunny days. Yesterday, I disconnected the battery (via the disconnect button in the trunk) for 12 hours, but it's still showing Florida.

Any suggestions, or should I just turn it off and forget about it?

Old 03-29-2011, 08:33 AM
eelton is infamous around these parts
Some progress, maybe...I hadn't thought to check the DVD, as I was under the impression that Florida (where the car came from) was in the eastern US. As it turns out, the western DVD was inserted. I swapped it for the eastern one, and now the car thinks it's in the Atlantic Ocean. I've only driven for about 40 minutes, though.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:33 AM
BallisticBanana is infamous around these parts
The sat nav is crap is the AM's. It's a Volvo system and to iodate you have to buy new DVDs every year or two.
I only use it occasionally. Doesn't look pretty but I tend to pop the screen up and stick my tom Tom satnav to the screen lol but that's not that often :-)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: sat nav still thinks car is in TX