Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage driven year-round?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 10:37 PM
epbrown01 is infamous around these parts
Vantage driven year-round?

As I age, I'm less into how fast I go and more into how I go fast, and I'm thinking a V8 Vantage would be nice in a couple of years as a 50th birthday present to myself. Casually browsing the market now, I don't see people putting many miles on these, and was wondering if anyone is daily driving a Vantage, even in a snowbelt? I drive my M Coupe throughout the winter, resorting to the Smart only when there's snow on the ground, and I'd like to keep doing that.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:59 PM
StealthAWD is infamous around these parts
I wouldn't

Even consider driving it in the winter...that is what a DD is for or picking up a winter beater (I have a Jeep for winter driving)...at least I will not be driving my AM when I get one in the winter.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:03 AM
zambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura about
I have a Mazdaspeed 6, which is AWD for the nasty days but as of right now I still drive my vantage at least once a week. This winter hasn't been that bad in the DC metro just yet.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:30 PM
alevine has a spectacular aura aboutalevine has a spectacular aura about
I have driven my car on very cold winter days many times without issue. I do not however drive it in the snow as I like to keep it real clean and have a Jeep for daily use. However, I see no reason why it couldn't be driven daily as it has traction control, etc. I see myself keeping the car a long time so I want to maintain the paint, etc. Part of my car OCD thing!

Adam

Old 12-01-2009, 08:29 AM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
I have driven mine in the cold weather, but only on perfectly clear days, and not after they have sanded the roads. You could probably get away with doing that, but it depends on how often it snows...since you live in Chicago, it's probably a lot.

There's no way I'd take it out on snowy days...this is a special car and I guarantee you won't want to take it out in those conditions. Not only that, but the ground clearance isn't enough for significant snow drifts...especially in my case since it's lowered. On cold, dry days it's great. On the other hand, is a Smart any better for driving in the snow in Chicago?

Year round? Yes...in Florida.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:32 PM
epbrown01 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Tahoe M3
On the other hand, is a Smart any better for driving in the snow in Chicago?
The Smart does okay as a winter beater, in part because it's rear engine and rwd, so it gets good traction, and they come with fairly narrow tires. If it every gets stuck, I figure it's easy to push as well.

Thanks for the posts, it seems like I'd be able to use the AMV8 pretty much the same way I use my M Coupe.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:03 AM
XXXAngelXXX is infamous around these parts
<--------------- daily driver V8V ------> V8V Roadster ----------> DBS even in winter with the appropriate tires...