Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Anybody here been quoted $3500 for the 3yr service...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 01:12 PM
cshsia is infamous around these parts
I love the intelligence and maturity of this forum, people who understand just because you can afford $8k in services, doesn't mean you necessarily need to.

I'm debating doing the work myself or finding a local shop. Could be a fun little project, but I live in an apartment and don't want to make a mess in the basement parking lot.

I'm sure my building manager would find it amusing if I start lifting up the car and putting it on jack stands. His GT-R is two cars down from mine.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:12 PM
zambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura about
thanks rick, hadn't thought about the pollen filter, the air filter will be switched to k&n and the car will be jacked up at the shop so hopefully finding those draining points and meshes to clean isn't too hard.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:15 PM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
Would love to do this service for you if you were local... That price is outrageous. I'd find a more down-to-earth Indy that knows what they are doing and you trust. Building a relationship with them will save you a fortune in the long run. Best of luck.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:19 PM
XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iJeremy
Would love to do this service for you if you were local... That price is outrageous. I'd find a more down-to-earth Indy that knows what they are doing and you trust. Building a relationship with them will save you a fortune in the long run. Best of luck.
I have a friend in the semi-exotic car business - buying/selling/repairing. He's an ace mechanic; works on Porsches, Jags, BMWs, Ferraris, etc. Asked him if he'd service my Aston. He said nope, too new and too complicated so I need to take it to a dealer.

I figure if this guy won't touch it, there is little hope of finding someone other than a dealer who will.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:39 PM
cshsia is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
I have a friend in the semi-exotic car business - buying/selling/repairing. He's an ace mechanic; works on Porsches, Jags, BMWs, Ferraris, etc. Asked him if he'd service my Aston. He said nope, too new and too complicated so I need to take it to a dealer.

I figure if this guy won't touch it, there is little hope of finding someone other than a dealer who will.
Maybe that's a misconception. I sent the 600 page official Aston Martin Workshop Manual to my cousin, who's been tuning cars all his life and recently built an insane little Honda Fit as a daily driver. (don't ask).

He read the manual, quite excitedly too. Then told me that it's crazy how easy this car is to work on. The fact it was hand built really makes it simple for him to take apart and put back together.

Too bad he's in Cali.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:26 PM
zambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura about
I second cshsia, i have heard that working on the aston isn't hard at all due to it being hand assembled. From an audio installer.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:59 PM
rick-dms- is infamous around these parts
I work on Aston's every day from the DB7 up to the latest models, yes in some respects they are quite easy to work on, mainly from a mechanical point of view, but without the correct diagnostic equipment there can be a lot of issues, after altering things such as tracking a dsc calibration should be carried out, so any suspension work on a DB9, AMV8 etc should have this done afterwards disconnecting the battery can clear features that will require reprogramming, many of the ecu's require software updates etc, also the manual you have is a cut down version so there are specfic details that are not in there, any major engine work on a DB9 means removing the whole body from the drivetrain, A skilled technician would be able to carry out most repairs, but without the familiarity, correct tools and info could make there job difficult or worse, These comments are not to put people off, it just comes from experience of working on the cars,

Old 02-04-2010, 01:32 PM
thanks rick, you have been very helpful.
Mine is an 06, with no warranty. I would rather go to the dealer like I mentioned but the prices quoted are not in line with what the job entails. So Rick, do you have the magic touch to reset the service warning once it comes on? I read on amoc, that it can be done from home.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Michael 996TT is infamous around these parts
FYI - I posted this awhile ago - K&N Air Filter part # CM-4508 (need Qty 2) fits very well on the Vantage and replaces stock air filters. You can order on line from a bunch of places. Order by PN as it is not listed under Aston Martin or Vantage. I have had mine installed for over a year now.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Thanks mike I have read your great DIY on the K&N and I have them here waiting to be installed

Old 02-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Kamran is just really niceKamran is just really niceKamran is just really niceKamran is just really nice
So I got the service code since it's been exactly one year from last service.
I tried the formula suggested above to reset this code but it didn't work for me! Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:11 PM
it probably doesn't work, I saw it on another site but didn't have any faith on it working