Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Contemplating 2007 V8 Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 01:25 PM
danielg69 is infamous around these parts
Contemplating 2007 V8 Vantage

I recently sold my C6 Corvette (non-Z06) and am now looking towards getting an AM Vantage vert. I have never had the opportunity to drive one so I wondering if anyone has driven both. I am worried about the AM feeling slow compared to my old car. I realize it's more of a touring car but I would hate to go down in power. Any thoughts?

Old 04-06-2010, 01:42 PM
markesq has a spectacular aura aboutmarkesq has a spectacular aura about
It will feel slower. If speed is the top of your priority list, do not get a Vantage.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:37 PM
bubba is infamous around these parts
Whenever I drive my C6 after driving my Vantage, I know how Michael Schumacher would feel when returning to an F1 car after a long trip in a rental Fiat Panda.

In the grand scheme of things, the 4.3 Vantage isn't a quick car ... and doesn't feel as fast as it is. ... " the torque of an electric weed-wacker" is how I like I like to describe it.

How fast these cars feel is the only way a C6 eclipses the Vantage. Comparing any other aspect is apples and oranges. The Vantage, in every other capacity is in an entirely different universe of quality.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by markesq
It will feel slower. If speed is the top of your priority list, do not get a Vantage.
It's not however I would hate to be let down on the power side of things. I think the best solution would be to drive one so I'm going to have to find one locally to drive.Daniel

Old 04-06-2010, 04:10 PM
orangegrower is infamous around these parts
I sold my C6 to buy a V8V. The V8V has less HP and weights a lot more. BUT I don't miss my C6 at all. I used the full power of the C6 maybe 2% of my driving time. I use the driving experience of the Aston 100% of the time. Handling wise I fell it is a push. Bang for your buck you can't beat a Corvette. But it is just not an Aston. How can you compare plastic and vinyl to leather even the inside of the glove compartment on the Aston is leather.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:21 PM
It seems strange but I bought the vette sight unseen and because this car is also out of state I will have to buy it sight unseen as well. I know the quality will be better since the vette was barely acceptable (my friend's porsche was much nicer). I need to find one to drive before I plop down 80k.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:46 PM
orangegrower is infamous around these parts
With the Corvette its just another Corvette. With the Aston its an Aston Martin. Cool factor +10

Old 04-06-2010, 05:57 PM
NIBV8 is infamous around these parts
My husband has a Z06, and the ONLY argument he wins is that his car is soooo much faster. I drove his car this weekend and shifting was much smoother. And yes his car is a lot faster. But I always end the argument by reminding him I don't have to prove anything, I drive an Aston Martin .

Old 04-06-2010, 06:13 PM
ttrhp is infamous around these parts
Daniel,
if you are in the houston area then go to EXPO and test drive the 07 vantage over there.I was going to purchase that vehicle but change mind the last minute to another car with more options,but i did brought that vehicle to the aston dealer and paid $500 for a full blown inspection and came bck perfect.. feel free to contact me if you have any question.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:21 AM
Michael 996TT is infamous around these parts
I sold my very modded '03 996tt (faster than Z06) for my 2007 V8V (new) - the AM speed is in the top end and handling is very good esp. for stock suspension. Yes it is 150 HP less than my turbo but for many reasons, I love the AM much more !

Old 04-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Swoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really nice
I sold my '07 Porsche Turbo to get a '09 Vantage....I was a bit worried I would miss the power of the turbo...I could not have been more wrong. It has never crosssed my mind....Ok, I have only about 900 miles on the Vantage but I just don't see it happening. I really love everything about this car and really, especially when it comes to Vettes...you cannot compare the two as they are at opposite ends of the spectrum as far as sports cars go.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:53 PM
stearnsn is infamous around these parts
I ordered a Porsche 997 Turbo and a Vantage about a year ahead (those were the days) and they arrived at almost the same time. I kept both for a few months but the quality of the Vantage won me over. The acceleration of the turbo was amazing but that is about it.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
Well I drove an 05 Vette I got in October of 04 every day until getting the Vantage last year. I did get an 09 Vantage Coupe, so I have the 4.7 engine and never bothered to try the 4.3. If you are worried about performance you might want to mod the 4.3 or go for the 4.7.

On an everyday basis (ie, not trying to make times on a track), the V8V and the C6 are not that far apart in performance. The C6 is faster off the line but the V8V catches up in the middle once the engine gets some revs. The handling on both is great but I do like the way the active handling on the Vette behaves a little better than the V8V.

The V8V is a different world quality wise, and that's what you are paying for. But there's some things I really miss from the C6:
- Keyless operation (This is the biggest one)
- Storage space, not to mention functional cup holders
- Glass roof (haven an open feeling in the middle of winter was always great)
Lastly, and sadly, is the fact that so far the service I received from my local Chevy dealer was significantly better than what I have received from the Aston dealer. Luckily there's been no serious issues with the V8V so far.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:12 PM
M13
M13 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Swoody
I sold my '07 Porsche Turbo to get a '09 Vantage....I was a bit worried I would miss the power of the turbo...I could not have been more wrong. It has never crosssed my mind....Ok, I have only about 900 miles on the Vantage but I just don't see it happening. I really love everything about this car and really, especially when it comes to Vettes...you cannot compare the two as they are at opposite ends of the spectrum as far as sports cars go.
Coming from 3 consecutive 911's I'll offer this analogy; owning my 911's which I loved, were like dating a world champion German Aeorobics Instructor; perfect in so many ways, never ran out of breath and always satisfying even though occasionally weird and skittish.

An AM however is akin to dating a British Supermodel; expensive, long & leggy with confident sophistication and without the German's desire to get all hot and sweaty....there's simply no need!

Hope that helps...or at least entertains!

Old 04-09-2010, 09:04 AM
bubba is infamous around these parts
Sounds like I really need to drive a 4.7 Vantage - because the performance of my 4.3 is not even close to that of my C6 (an older, "slower" LS2 powered C6 like the one you had. The >08 LS3 powered C6s are even faster... way faster.)

Bang for your buck, you can't beat a modern-ish 'vette... that's how, long ago, I was given the forum name "Bubba". I occasionally showed up at BMW track events in a Callaway Corvette - it was just way more fun than the M3 I had at the time. -- Sometimes "car people" aren't really "car people", they're marque enthusiasts.
I digress...

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
Well I drove an 05 Vette I got in October of 04 every day until getting the Vantage last year. I did get an 09 Vantage Coupe, so I have the 4.7 engine and never bothered to try the 4.3. If you are worried about performance you might want to mod the 4.3 or go for the 4.7.

On an everyday basis (ie, not trying to make times on a track), the V8V and the C6 are not that far apart in performance. The C6 is faster off the line but the V8V catches up in the middle once the engine gets some revs. The handling on both is great but I do like the way the active handling on the Vette behaves a little better than the V8V.

The V8V is a different world quality wise, and that's what you are paying for. But there's some things I really miss from the C6:
- Keyless operation (This is the biggest one)
- Storage space, not to mention functional cup holders
- Glass roof (haven an open feeling in the middle of winter was always great)
Lastly, and sadly, is the fact that so far the service I received from my local Chevy dealer was significantly better than what I have received from the Aston dealer. Luckily there's been no serious issues with the V8V so far.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Contemplating 2007 V8 Vantage