Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Can a DB9 be made to look exactly like a DBS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 05:13 AM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Can a DB9 be made to look exactly like a DBS?

I'm just wondering if the DBS and DB9 essentially share the same body. If so, is the DBS just a DB9 with a body kit and a slightly tweaked motor?

Couldn't someone just buy DBS parts and make it look the same? Just wondering if I am missing something that justifies the price or if there are significant body changes that perhaps my naked eye can not detect.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:12 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
i'm pretty sure a DB9 could be made to look like a DBS by changing out body panels and interior panels/seats/etc. but there are a lot of other things to be taken into consideration, such as the engine and suspension. i can't think of all the differences between the two, but the short answer to your question is: yes, a DB9 can be made to look like a DBS, but there are also many other things needed to create a "clone."

Old 04-14-2010, 09:34 AM
gekko is infamous around these partsgekko is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by CURI0
Just wondering if I am missing something that justifies the price or if there are significant body changes that perhaps my naked eye can not detect.
The DBS is a completely different car - might be easier to take at a look at this link, then me to list all the differences:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aston_Martin_DBS_V12

Here is a few snaps from my factory visit of the Aston Martin Head Office in the UK:

Last edited by gekko; 04-14-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:18 AM
donahdi is a glorious beacon of lightdonahdi is a glorious beacon of lightdonahdi is a glorious beacon of lightdonahdi is a glorious beacon of lightdonahdi is a glorious beacon of light
This is gonna be an interesting thread..

Technically, I am no expert, but I remember once I read a thread on someone trying to sell a DBS kit for DB9 cars, I remember the guy said that he had to modify and sand the kit cos it doesn't bolt on directly.. so I am assuming it is not identical... secondly, I also read here that Aston Martin are really strict on selling DBS body to anyone, you have to return or show prof of the ruined body kit (assuming you own a DBS and were in an accident) before they release a DBS body kit.

On the other hand, and on a personal level and not the technical side, I wouldn't be able to live with my self trying to be someone or something I am not, if I can't afford something, I simply don't buy it, I buy what I can afford, if I can't afford a DBS, I would go for a DB9, nothing is wrong with the DB9, a beautiful machine... It's like buying a fake Rolex and trying to show it off as the real thing, I mean if you fool everyone, deep in your heart you know it's fake, so it will not have the same feeling as when you really save and go buy the real Rolex.. I can not afford a $100,000 watch, you will never see me looking for a fake one that looks exactly like it, to pretend it is the real thing.. Again, this is me, on a personal level..

Old 04-14-2010, 11:26 AM
SRT10Venomous is a glorious beacon of lightSRT10Venomous is a glorious beacon of lightSRT10Venomous is a glorious beacon of lightSRT10Venomous is a glorious beacon of lightSRT10Venomous is a glorious beacon of light
KICK *** PICS, Please post more do you have side views with the engine etc.. lets see em all..

Originally Posted by gekko
The DBS is a completely different car - might be easier to take at this link, then me to list all the differences:

Here is a few snaps from my factory visit of the Aston Martin Head Office in the UK:

Old 04-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Michael 996TT is infamous around these parts
Mansory makes some body kits ... I personally do not like them ... but they do add a difference to the DB9. AM dealer in Tampa sells/installs them.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Michael 996TT is infamous around these parts
gekko - great pics !!!

Old 04-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by donahdi
This is gonna be an interesting thread..

Technically, I am no expert, but I remember once I read a thread on someone trying to sell a DBS kit for DB9 cars, I remember the guy said that he had to modify and sand the kit cos it doesn't bolt on directly.. so I am assuming it is not identical... secondly, I also read here that Aston Martin are really strict on selling DBS body to anyone, you have to return or show prof of the ruined body kit (assuming you own a DBS and were in an accident) before they release a DBS body kit.

On the other hand, and on a personal level and not the technical side, I wouldn't be able to live with my self trying to be someone or something I am not, if I can't afford something, I simply don't buy it, I buy what I can afford, if I can't afford a DBS, I would go for a DB9, nothing is wrong with the DB9, a beautiful machine... It's like buying a fake Rolex and trying to show it off as the real thing, I mean if you fool everyone, deep in your heart you know it's fake, so it will not have the same feeling as when you really save and go buy the real Rolex.. I can not afford a $100,000 watch, you will never see me looking for a fake one that looks exactly like it, to pretend it is the real thing.. Again, this is me, on a personal level..
I'm not so much saying it my intention to do this just wondering if it really is as simple as bolting up the panels. From what you stated, clearly it isn't.

The DBS is an awesome car and there are many more differences under the skin that make it what it is but I would venture to guess that aftermarket companies will be making look alike kits for the DB9.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:27 PM
vince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nice
Originally Posted by gekko
The DBS is a completely different car - might be easier to take at a look at this link, then me to list all the differences:

Hi,
do you have the same pics for a vantage v8? I like this explosed pics

Vincent

Old 04-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by SRT10Venomous
KICK *** PICS, Please post more do you have side views with the engine etc.. lets see em all..
Originally Posted by Michael 996TT
gekko - great pics !!!
Thanks guys.

I've got some really cool snaps from my factory tour which I'll post in another thread real soon.

Originally Posted by vince_1972
Hi,
do you have the same pics for a vantage v8? I like this explosed pics
Sorry, they only had the DBS.

During the actually factory tour I wasn't allowed to take any pictures, but got to see the cars go from the bare shells to driving off the line.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:06 PM