Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Spacers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 12:49 PM
markesq has a spectacular aura aboutmarkesq has a spectacular aura about
Here are some quick cell phone shots from this a.m. They new stance looks very nice.

Name:  photospc3.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  59.5 KB

Name:  photospc2.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  62.2 KB

Name:  photospc.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  59.6 KB

Old 03-10-2012, 09:30 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Resurrecting this old thread (there have been a few but this one seems the most comprehensive) to ask a few simple (and probably dumb) questions ...

What is the reason that the studs require replacement for 15 and 20 mm spacers to be fitted? Yes, you can tell I've not as yet taken my wheels off. How much extension of the stud there is through the wheel for the lug to attach to? Has anyone successfully (and safely) added spacers without replacing the studs?

Are all the Aston OEM wheels for the V8V the same in this regard (thinking of stock OEM vs the various sport pack wheels here)?

MTIA for thoughts/comments.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:05 AM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
I had my spacers installed by my dealer. It was expensive as it required the disassembly of my rear brakes. I only had the rears done. The cars now looks & handles better.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:55 AM
ewu64 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by AXARUNNER
I had my spacers installed by my dealer. It was expensive as it required the disassembly of my rear brakes. I only had the rears done. The cars now looks & handles better.
You need the fronts too! Otherwise, your car will understeer more than before.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:08 AM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
I'll find out if I need front spacers once I get the car on the track in May.

Last edited by AXARUNNER; 03-12-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Do you know if your dealer had to replace the studs to install the spacer? See my questions above, trying to figure out if this is necessary.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:52 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Aston Curious
Do you know if your dealer had to replace the studs to install the spacer? See my questions above, trying to figure out if this is necessary.
If you put on a 20mm spacer in the rear and don't replace the studs, that would mean that your studs would be 20mm shorter. You need to have a minimum number of threads in order to properly secure the wheel. I doubt they would be long enough if you use the OEM studs. IIRC, this is why RSC spent considerable time sourcing a stud of the proper length.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Yes the rear wheel studs were replaced with the RSC studs. I was charged 8 hours labor including an alignment.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Wow...8hours, sounds ok but wow $695 for spacers + 8hrs labour(say 140/hr) = $1815..wouldn't it be cheaper to just get a set of custom hubcentric spacers made for the car?? That way you can bolt them on..then bolt on the wheel..don't like the look..unbolt wheel, then unbolt hubcentric spacer ..versus pressing in new studs and needing to keep them on unless you change the studs again or fit longer lugs..

RSC mades things of good quality, but I've never been a fan of this shim type spacer.. http://www.rsctuning.com/product_inf...roducts_id/767

These are the spacers I personally prefer and actually own on my stang..just not made for Aston's
http://www.americanmuscle.com/1in-bi...l-spacers.html

Here even did a fast search, don't know the cost but place makes custom hubcentric spacers, sure it can't me more than $1815 like option 1 .. http://www.wheelspacers.ca/

Old 03-12-2012, 08:04 PM
Total labor was $1080 including the alignment. I saved money because I had the rear pads replaced at the same time. I only purchased the rear set for $350. If I had an unlimited budget I would have replaced my wheels with wider ones with the proper offset sizing up 10mm in tire size on 19's not 20's.

Irish: do you think a re-flash @$1,800 is worth it. I've already done cats, muffler & air filters.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:22 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by karlfranz
If you put on a 20mm spacer in the rear and don't replace the studs, that would mean that your studs would be 20mm shorter. You need to have a minimum number of threads in order to properly secure the wheel. I doubt they would be long enough if you use the OEM studs. IIRC, this is why RSC spent considerable time sourcing a stud of the proper length.
Correct. The rule of thumb is you need 7 full turns... but full disclosure.... we never tried putting the spacer on and checking the amount of thread available. It is possible that there's enough exposed thread to 'work, but if anyone purchased the spacers without the studs I would probably have to make them acknowledge that they were doing this against RSC's expressed advice. Wheel spacers/bolts/studs are not the kind of thing you want to cheap out on. So for us, from a liability standpoint, we went OTT. The studs we supply are in 10.8 steel, which is 2 full grades above the industry standard 8.8.

Regarding the install time, I think 4-5 hours is do-able.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:22 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Total labor was $1080 including the alignment. I saved money because I had the rear pads replaced at the same time. I only purchased the rear set for $350. If I had an unlimited budget I would have replaced my wheels with wider ones with the proper offset sizing up 10mm in tire size on 19's not 20's.

Irish: do you think a re-flash @$1,800 is worth it. I've already done cats, muffler & air filters.
Well if its ASM..I'd get a tuned flash for the ASM instead..places like RSC have them

If you have a manual..and talking about a PCM tuned flash from Aston, it's "ok", just it's meant to keep the vehicle well with in warranty standards. If the "box" is open and ur willing to explore, search on here and you'll see some guys getting more power than the aston tune with a personal custom tune for your car ..(course it is done on a dyno, not a mail-away tune)

Last edited by Irish07@VelocityAP; 03-12-2012 at 08:25 PM.