Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Stalling in slow speed traffic jams

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 10:53 AM
cshsia is infamous around these parts
Stalling in slow speed traffic jams

I experienced this twice in the past 2 days, and was wondering if you guys have any feedback/suggestions.

The past week, NY has sustained temperatures above 95 during the afternoon. My car's parked outside while I'm at work, and it's black, so naturally it gets quite toasty.

On my way out to Long Island right after work, while crawling forward in very heavy traffic (speed about 3~5MPH), I had the car stall once on Wednesday and once yesterday. I'm very careful on the clutch, and don't think it's from myself messing up. Luckily I happened to be in the right lane, and just rolled to the shoulder without problems. The car starts back up right away, and with careful driving (making sure PRM doesn't dip too low), no issues would come up.

I just had oil/transaxel/airfilter service done, but do not believe it's related. Maybe the heat's taking a toll on the engine? electronics? or working the AC too hard? Can anyone shed some light?

Also, if the car's stalled while rolling forward, can I just dip the clutch and restart it without hitting the brakes? This would really help if it happens again and I'm in the center lane.

I'll have the car checked again next week, but was hoping those with more experience driving manual cars can give me some info and suggestions.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:10 PM
bugattitech is infamous around these parts
This is manual car correct. I would not pop the clutch to restart it that can cause some serious stress on the motor and transmission. This could be a heat related issue but I am in the desert and I have never seen this issue. I will check recent bulletins and see if there is anything that is similar to this. When it does start to stall see if you can rev the engine freely in neutral to save it from dying.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:47 PM
Yes it's a manual. I know AM did extensive high temp testing, but always at high speeds. I'm guessing this would only happen if we combined high heat, black car, with extended periods of slow speed driving?

Both times it happened after the car spent the good deal of the day baking in the sun.

I was just wondering if the car's still rolling forward at 3mph, can I push down the clutch and press the start-button again to fire the car back up.

If I'm being very careful, I bet I can see where the revs were at before the engine stalls. However I'm usually watching the bumper in front of me when it happens.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:00 PM
bugattitech is infamous around these parts
I have just checked all of the bulletins that relate to V8 vantage and found none that address your concern. I would take it to the dealer you may have some warranty left. I would say it is alright to use the starter button while you engage the clutch to restart your car at low speeds. Let me know what you have found with this issue as I am always interested in learning more.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the info, if it happens again while I'm rolling forward at least I know I have an option to start the motor again.

Tricky timing, as this happened after I recently changed the oil, air filter, cabin filter, trans axel oil with a buddy of mine at his shop. However I really think this is heat related. Engine temperature gauge is normal, driving normally feels fine. The stall only occurred at super low speeds in a hot afternoon.

No I do not have warranty left, but I'll possibly swing by his shop again next week to take a peek under the car.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Curtis is infamous around these parts
I had a "similar" issue happen a few times. Check past threads on engine stalling on here or AMOC. A few other owners reported similar issues. Some say it was related to gas tank issues IIRC?

In my case car would stall as I came to gradual low speed stop. Simply hit the start button and car would fire up with no issues. Absolutely no warning signs before this happened. Dealer did a reflash of software. It corrected situation for a year then it happened again. Haven't seen it again for a year and 10,000 miles later???

Old 06-26-2010, 01:39 PM
markesq has a spectacular aura aboutmarkesq has a spectacular aura about
I live in Florida and my black car sits outside all day at work. As you can imagine, it gets very hot down here. Never have I experienced your issue.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:22 AM
Landa220 is infamous around these partsLanda220 is infamous around these parts
See if a different brand of gasoline makes any difference.

I remember a loooong time ago with other cars, the same type of conditions would cause a "vapor lock" with the fuel. I vaguely remember them explaining something about either winter grade fuel not the best for extreme heat or something like that. Somewhat early in the season, it's not unusual to still have some of that being served.

Anyway it's worth a look or consideration. These things are hard to duplicate when you want to.

Good Luck. Enjoy the car.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Savile Row is infamous around these parts
Stalling at slow speeds

Same thing happens to me. I have an 09 V8V. One time I was driving down the mountains at slow speeds in sharp curves, when the steering felt heavy. Looked down at tachrp and it was off. Fired it back up no problems. Dealer looked at this before and found nothing in the computer. I think it is dangerous.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:16 AM
donahdi is a glorious beacon of lightdonahdi is a glorious beacon of lightdonahdi is a glorious beacon of lightdonahdi is a glorious beacon of lightdonahdi is a glorious beacon of light
Unhappy Stalling at slow speeds

I'm guessing now you see it has nothing to do with your car color, nor even your car model, yesterday in 95 degrees my 2010 DBS stalled on me twice, and both times were as I come to a gradual low speed stop just like Curtis said. It's so easy to doubt that as a manual gear you might have done something wrong and made the car stall, but after the second time, I was sure I didn't cos my leg was pushing the clutch to its max.. and still the car stalled on me while people started laughing thinking I can't drive a stick shift.. it wasn't life threatening, but a bit embarrassing.. My car never did such thing before, then again it was never 95 degrees in the past few months I owned the car, so obviously, heat is a factor, from what you say and the fact that it is the hottest time of the year here as well.. but how do we solve this issue, will call the garage and ask..

oh and as far as starting it again, you can, you don't have to be in complete stop, as soon as you realise that it stalled, just press the clutch to the max and fire it up again and go..

Old 07-14-2010, 11:11 AM
zambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura about
maybe not a heat issue exactly and more to do with heat and humidity. they do extreme weather testing, but that is in the desert, hot weather sure but humidity is very low. It might have a lot to do with the air coming in with dense humidity and heat.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:30 AM
not to mention Arizona doesn't have traffic jams in Death Valley.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:11 PM
Rnstern is infamous around these parts
Same issue

My db 9 stalled at slow speed. Would not restart for several minutes. AM repair shop could not replicate. No computer code of the defect. They refused to address further. Sold the car back,to the selling dealer. Without a fix It was a death trap.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:16 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
^^^^^^ dude, how many old threads do you need to dig up to say the same thing. For a new member it's making you come across in not a very good way.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:22 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Rnstern
My db 9 stalled at slow speed. Would not restart for several minutes. AM repair shop could not replicate. No computer code of the defect. They refused to address further. Sold the car back,to the selling dealer. Without a fix It was a death trap.
Since You sold your Aston back, you obviously no longer have the problem, no longer own an Aston and no longer have any need to post. "Just Get Outta' our yard!"