Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston's V8 New Sports Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 04:52 PM
gekko is infamous around these partsgekko is infamous around these parts
Aston's V8 New Sports Exhaust System

New Sports Exhaust System
http://www.astonmartin.com/eng/thecars/accessories/v8vantage/sportsexhaustsystem

Anybody know any details about the following new exhaust spec'ed on the 420??

Is it available in North America yet?
Anybody order one yet ?
Comparisons to the other brands - Quick Silver, Larini or RSC ??

Thks

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 07-17-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:38 AM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gekko
New Sports Exhaust System
http://www.astonmartin.com/eng/theca...sexhaustsystem

Anybody know any details about the following new exhaust spec'ed on the 420??

Is it available in North America yet?
Anybody order one yet ?
Comparisons to the other brands - Quick Silver, Larini or RSC ??

Thks
[bias]
I haven't seen one in person yet but frankly I was a little offended by the pictures. I can't believe they didn't make more effort than this:

It looks like it was welded by a 2 year old and put through the spin cycle with a load of gravel.
[/bias]

Old 07-19-2010, 11:42 AM
gekko is infamous around these partsgekko is infamous around these parts
Stuart -

Just to confirm the picture you posted is the newest exhaust they are offering as aftermarket & spec'ed on the new 420 version? Thks

Old 07-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gekko
Stuart -

Just to confirm the picture you posted is the newest exhaust they are offering as aftermarket & spec'ed on the new 420 version? Thks
Yes, that is their 'Sports' exhaust which they are offering on the 420, N400 or any car that has had their factory power upgrade.

While the important thing about an exhaust is sound, that probably weighs 25-30lbs more than most aftermarket offerings and is priced higher. I nearly choked on my coffee when I saw that photo, it's pretty agricultural...

Old 07-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
Yeah AM surprises/disappoints me sometimes. They make a move in the right direction by providing some potentially cool aftermarket parts, and this is what we get. I know this isn't a part that people generally see, but they quality really should be better. And the weight is ridiculous. It's like the cats and clutch, which are very heavy and really not up to spec in a car like this.

AM needs to plan to shed 300 lbs and add 100 hp to every car in their lineup for the next generation. The goal for the V8 should be at least 520 hp, and the goal for the V12 should be at least 570 for the standard DB version and 610 for the DBS/Vantage V12.

Last edited by Tahoe M3; 07-19-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Tahoe M3
Yeah AM surprises/disappoints me sometimes. Here they make in the move in the right direction by providing some potentially cool aftermarket parts, and this is what we get. I know this isn't a part that people generally see, but they quality really should be better. And the weight is ridiculous. It's like the cats and clutch, which are very heavy and really not up to spec in a car like this.

AM needs to plan to shed 300 lbs and add 100 hp to every car in their lineup for the next generation. The goal for the V8 should be at least 520 hp, and the goal for the V12 should be at least 570 for the standard DB version and 610 for the DBS/Vantage V12.
I agree. I knew they would be bound by noise restrictions etc., and have to supply something with valves and comply with that aspect, but to me the fact that it looks so rubbish and is basically the same boat anchor with slightly different baffling is a pretty cynical effort.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:33 PM
zambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura about
boat anchor, nice one Stew

Old 07-19-2010, 11:21 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by zambono
boat anchor, nice one Stew
Well, in fairness to AM, they aren't the only ones. You know the exhaust system on a Gallardo weights 60lbs?

Ours weighs 12.7lbs. Of course we don't have all of the restrictions that Lamborghini does, but surely they could come up with a 30 or 40lb system? It just amazes me when they go to great lengths reducing weight with carbon, introduce Superleggeras and charge a hefty increase (not sure what it is exactly, I think 20 or 30 grand) for dropping 70kg out of the weight on the US model. You can achieve almost half that from swapping the exhaust out for 1/10th of the price!!!

I guess the exhaust is almost an afterthought for a lot of manufacturers. They just tender the design out to whoever can make it the cheapest and still make it work because they figure that it's the last part of the car most owners are going to look at, as long as it sounds alright.