Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

ECU reprogramming in 07 AMV8-pros/cons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 10:23 PM
klittlehale is infamous around these parts
How much of an increase in HP can you expect with the RSC ECU reprogramming alone?
What is the benefit of the high flow cats and how do they differ from the stock cats? How difficult are the cats to install? Any potential downside to switching cats? Once again I am concerned about passing smog in California (I know I may be sounding somewhat paranoid at this point.)

I am looking for cost effective means of increasing the performance of the AMV8. I did a lot of research prior to doing the sportpack upgrade, and could not find any proven, performance orientated suspension upgrade for the AMV8 other than AM factory product. I have been very happy with the factory suspension upgrade, yet thought that the power upgrade of only 20HP for $5K did not offer the same value.

Thanks for all of the input from the various sources.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:01 AM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
For whatever reason (probably to make sure the car wasn't faster than the DB9), Aston Martin went very conservative on the tuning in this car. As has been discussed before, stock tuning is very rich, and the RSC tuning and others undo this a bit.

It has been suggested that the 4.3 really only made 360 hp in stock form, so the N400 power kit may be good for 40 hp, not 20. Still though, the bang for the buck with the RSC ecu tuning is much better. The AM power kit adds the expansion intake, but realistically that's probably only good for a few hp. They could have been more aggressive with the tuning and bypassed the intake and still ended up with more power.

As for the cats...at first I was skeptical, but I ended up going with them after my stock cats fell apart. I've been very happy with them...it's hard to say how much power they add because my supercharger got tuned at the same time, but I have a feeling they had a lot to do with the improved low and mid range power. They are supposedly good for 20 hp and I'd believe it...probably throughout the power band as well. And the sound is great...I was concerned they would be too loud but they aren't. And the quality is vastly better than the stock ones.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:25 PM
Can someone tell me specifically what the ECU reprogramming does?
Most comments referred the the RSC product-- where was that developed? What type of development went into it? I would think that reprogramming the ECU involves someone with extensive expertise as well as specific knowledge of the AM engine.
If it is a no brainer as someone commented earlier, why does Aston Martin itself upgrade the ECU?

Old 08-02-2010, 10:06 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
AM power upgrade package includes a revised ECU.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:18 PM
The AM ECU upgrade must be different than the RSC upgrade since AM also includes different airboxes, etc. Also the RSC upgrade claims a greater increase in HP vs the AM upgrade. I am looking for a better throttle response as well as HP increase-- the car can be a little sluggish on the track when you want to accelerate out of a corner or pass someone else at speed. Overall it is very acceptable on the open road, yet not quite competitive on the track against GT3's, etc.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:30 PM
keitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of light
Don't see any CA legal aftermarket cats for AM in the list on this page...

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...ftermktcat.htm

Old 08-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Can anyone comment regarding the specifics of the ECU reprogramming for the Vantage.
Perhaps Stuart@RSC

Old 08-03-2010, 06:59 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by klittlehale
Can anyone comment regarding the specifics of the ECU reprogramming for the Vantage.
Perhaps Stuart@RSC
Hey guys, sorry I missed this one, been on holiday for a couple of days (all I can manage!!!) The AMV8, particularly the 4.3L cars are mapped very rich in standard form. I (and many others) have our suspicions about AM holding back power so as not to challenge the DB9, as well as to make room for 'hotted up' versions like the N400. Maybe I'm just cynical...

Anyway, our program alters fuelling, cam timing, ignition timing and fuel pressure, as well as remapping the fly-by-wire throttle to deliver not just a larger number, but improved feel, driveablity, throttle response and more accessible power. The numbers are good, but that's only half the story, the overall driving 'feel' is vastly improved.

Regarding the RSC program, we actually offer a very expansive ECU tuning service from our office in the UK, cover Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari, Maserati, Bentley, BMW, Mercedes etc... so we actually have a lot of in-house expertise in terms of ECU tuning just like GIAC, EVOMSit etc., and a well developed arm of the business. In fact, we're the only ones that I know of who offer a $1,000,000 engine insurance policy with ever remap!