Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Coolant Level Low Warning Light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 01:35 PM
cshsia is infamous around these parts
Coolant Level Low Warning Light

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if any of you have seen this issue?

Attended a rally the past weekend, and after 2 hours of spirited driving, I noticed that the "Coolant Level Low" warning light was coming on every time I revved to 6000 RPM. The light would stay for about 1 second, then disappear promptly as RPMs dropped.

I checked the level of the coolant and quality this morning, and both checked out fine. This suggested to me that a sensor was faulty.

Does anyone know how many coolant related sensors there are in the AMV8?Has anyone had a similar issue? I called AM and they told me the sensor in the expansion tank is about $50, but I wanted to make sure I'm buying the right part.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:23 PM
cshsia is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ragingbull
Hi Cshsia
The AMV8 does have a Coolant Level Low sensor in the expansion tank. But its not the sensor that goes bad. Its the flot thats inside the tank that stickes. As the engine RPMs go up the water pump pulls more coolant in the engine dropping the coolant level. If you have any other questions feel free to let me know.
Hi Raging Bull,

Thanks for the information. I read the workshop manual and noticed that there was only 1 sensor, and was pondering what is the next step to take.

Is there a way to fix the float? would that be through the purchase of a new expansion tank? I'm guessing that when the car's running excessively hot, the flot sticks. Which would explain the warning coming up repeatedly at the end of last weekend's rally.

Thanks again for the help, I thought about PM'ing you, but then decided that it's probably best to share it here just in case anyone else runs into the situation.

Last edited by cshsia; 08-09-2010 at 09:22 AM.