Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

So, is this how it's going to be???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 12:09 AM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
So, is this how it's going to be???

Got my new to me '08 Vantage today. Absolutely beautiful car with a fabulous sound track! I noted I was low on fuel and I pulled into the station and then for the next 10 minutes I tried to get the fuel lid off!

Couldn't figure it out and drove back home. Hit the internet and found that the fuel lid not popping up is a relatively common problem. The "solution" is to place a credit card in the 3 o'clock position and then hit the switch. I was somewhat skeptical, but put my credit card in and hit the button. The credit card flys up in the air and the lid pops open.

I found that if I gingerly put the lid back in position (lining it up just right) that the lid will pop open. Any other better solutions?

For the last 20 years, I have always had Porsches (944, 911, GT3, turbo) and I can't remember having a problem like this . When I was at the filling station, my wife asked if I could get my turbo back!

Old 08-10-2010, 12:42 AM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Hey Steve -

Congrats. I love the Vantage. Maybe you should swap with me - my C2S Launch + cash for your Vantage.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:46 AM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Thanks Jeff!

I'll have to give it some time to see if there's more trouble than the fuel flap! Good thing I got a year on the warranty!

Old 08-10-2010, 01:01 AM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Just about the best looking car on the planet. I really don't care that it isn't the fastest mf on the street. It's just beautiful inside and out. Nice!

I'd say let's tee it up sometime but I've actually only played two rounds this year. Sad.

Working like a madman for the time being. I hope it pays off soon.

Enjoy the new toy!!!

Old 08-10-2010, 04:26 AM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
Weird...I've never even heard of that problem. Mine opens every time. Now the button could be in a better position, that's for sure.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:28 AM
druid is infamous around these parts
ah, mine does that and I figured out based on trial and error the credit card trick. Mine goes at 4:00. I assumed it was something only I was afflicted with. I had tried to put one of those one sided taped felt tab things in there before I close the door. But, it slides down over time so it doesn't stay wedged against the door. I've also inpsected the opening mechanism and I don't see anything loose or broken. Seems to be just a fitting/manufacturing issue. I got my car earlier this year and I did not have that problem when I first got it when it was cool out. I noticed it started once temperatures got up to around 70 degrees. I'm hoping it's just an expansion issue so it won't be a problem in cooler weather.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:39 AM
Michael 996TT is infamous around these parts
I too came from Porsche - have had my V8V for 3+ years and never a problem like that ... there was a fual cap recall (and I do not believe it was the 08 but earlier cars). That had nothing to do w/ fuel flap ... I know not much help but sure sounds like an adjustment issue ...
BTW I have some extra springs (reduces ride height) for sale if anyone interested PM me.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:02 AM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
I have had this one. There is a manual release in the trunk. Also, my dealer installed a spring the size of a pen spring to give it more release. Trust me, I had 4 Porsches before this and they had the little things also. In fact my 996TT had an hydrollic failure to the rear spoiler and it was frozen half up and half down the first week I drove it. Let me tell you that was embarrassing. Be careful with the credit card. I nipped the paint a bit doing that. Check your manual for the release. It is on the left side of the trunk on the roadster and feels like a wire loop. I always make it a point to gas up at night with less notice.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:51 AM
DrScoles has a spectacular aura aboutDrScoles has a spectacular aura aboutDrScoles has a spectacular aura about
I would stop by park place and let vince take a look at it. I would guess the flange that holds the locking mech needs to be adjusted a hair...

Old 08-10-2010, 09:28 AM
acabrera is infamous around these parts
Funny, I recently started having the same issue on my '06 Vantage. In my case, I simply press the fuel button a couple of times (almost like priming) and it comes open. Annoying but haven't asked my service guy to look at it, yet.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:02 AM
kckilmer is infamous around these parts
Congrats on the new car! I have had my 07 for 6 months and have loved every day of ownership (except when it rains). The exhaust soundtrack is intoxicating.

Next week taking the car to Vince at Park Place for RSC cats, ECU reprogram, and filters. I can't wait to feel and hear the difference!

Has anyone else had these mods and if so what are your impresstions?

Old 08-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Same issue for me -- it is a common one. I believe there is an AM fix for this one, so I'm going to have the dealer fix it when I take the car in for it's annual service. Until then, I'll be popping it from the trunk.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I talked to Vince and am taking it in this week.

@jaymoney, My wife was saying that if Porsche had a fuel lid like this, they would have an engineer pushing the button a million times to make sure that it didn't fail !

@lig, Jeff drop me a line and we'll tee it up!

Old 08-10-2010, 02:24 PM
klittlehale is infamous around these parts
I have had the same problem. Another, related issue is if you are in a hurry and you push the fuel lid in too far, where it is no longer flush with the rest of the body work. At that point pushing the release button and using the trunk release will not help at all. I had this happen when I was almost at out of fuel at a remote gas station. Fortunately a very thin and narrow screw driver wrapped with protective tape allowed me to raise it back to the level position where I could then use the switch to pop it open. I used a popsicle stick to do it when it occurred on another occasion- my son was "helping" me at that time and he pushed it in too far. There are other Aston Martin quirks you will find over time, yet I still feel that the car is worth it.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:39 PM
ssaa77 is infamous around these parts
Congrats on the purchase. Park Place take care of you/give you a decent deal? Been thinking about picking up their black 07, but I've heard mixed reviews of the PP. Of course, if you want to go Aston, don't really have an option in the Seattle area.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.